VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to go to the gym and use the treadmill at least three to five days a week and exercise hard. However, about nine months ago I developed a "heel spur." It is very painful even just to walk for any real distance and/or to stand for any length of time.

Can anyone give suggestions for this kind of injury?

thanks!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i recommend medical attention if you have a lot of pain.

i have heel spurs and no pain--so it doesn't require anything.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
My dad had this problem when he first started running. He took a bit of time off and then at the recommendation of a doctor he got some orthotics to put inside his running shoes. He hasn't had a problem since.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

My dad had this problem when he first started running. He took a bit of time off and then at the recommendation of a doctor he got some orthotics to put inside his running shoes. He hasn't had a problem since.
I had a really bad heal spur. My doctor had me get orthotics and injections of cortizone (I think it was cortizone - it was a long time ago) directly into the site. It was painful and I have to have it done twice but it worked.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Did you have an xray which showed a heel spur? Heel spurs and plantar fascitiis are treated basically the same way unless the heel spur is so big it is causing extreme discomfort then surgery is an option.

you should make sure you have good supportive well fitting shoes, orthotic inserts may help, cortisone injections will decrease the inflamation you are experiencing. The fascia which is the tissue just under the layer of skin on the bottom surface of your feet can get inflamed........without a heel spur in the picture its just called plantar fascitiis, .......having the heel spur can cause the fascia to get inflamed, ............some more suggestions, are some strengthening and stretching exercises for your feet/ankles........you can take a soda can put it on the floor put your foot on top and roll it with your foot, you will feel the stretch...........ok......anti-inflammatories, such as motrin, ibuprofen etc.......high dose, prescription strength for a couple weeks to get the inflammation down,.......

if these things dont work your doc can put you in an immobilization boot for about a week or so, this usually lets the tissue calm down and helps decrease the pain.

but the cortisone shots usually will work wonders,

its all a matter of first getting the inflammation taken care of, which will lessen your pain, then dealing with the reasons it got inflamed in the first place, and if you do have a heel spur orthotics will usually help.

hope this all made sense!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts