VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor recomended a product called Juice Plus it is suppose to be great for your heart as well as cholesterol. Have you heard of this product? Whats your openion?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Being a vegetarian is good for cholesterol, so that shouldn't be a concern for any of us. Don't know about the heart benefits, but "heart healthy" often just means that something's low in saturated and trans fat. I eat and drink plenty of stuff every day that meets that requirement.

--Fromper

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quackwatch comments: "I don't know whether Juice Plus+ products cost more or less than their "vitamin/mineral equivalents" in fruits or vegetables. But in the real world, Juice Plus+ is not actually substituted for food. It is added, typically at a cost of about $500 per year per person. I believe this is a colossal waste of money."

http://www.quackwatch.org/04Consumer...juiceplus.html

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I've heard of this stuff, and I've read the peer-reviewed studies behind it (amazing that Quack Watch doesn't make mention of JP+'s studies in their little article
). Additionally, I've met several people on this stuff that report everything from ease of arthritis symptoms to reduced problems with their diabetes. One lady even credits this stuff with her feeling better than brilliant during her on-going battle with advanced cancer (some kind of lung cancer - I forget the name to it now). My husband and I are both on this stuff and frankly, we both love how we feel on it. My husband's doctor has even told him that his knee is even healing faster than most people's would (he just had knee surgery a month ago) and this was the only stuff that was cleared for him to take before surgery. Every thing else - his natural cleaners, his other vitamins and such were all discontinued temporarilly for one reason or the other until after surgery. Juice Plus+ was the only thing allowed.

Now, I gotta say that NOTHING is a substitute for a good diet filled with raw fruits and veggies (ok, so QW got that part right at least) but I like it because for me, it's a bit of nutritional boost that I think everyone needs and everyone should have. There are many doctors both taking and recommending Juice Plus+ to their patients and I'm very happy to see your doctor is one of them. 40$ a month is a very small price to pay for real-food/whole food based supplements - especially considering that most to all statins are much higher in price and most to all have very undesirable side effects. JP+ AFAIK, has no side effects because it's just food.

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Googling "Juice Plus" returns quite a number of hits, including this

CLINICAL SUMMARY

An extract made of dried fruit and vegetable powders. Juice Plus+® was created by a naturopath, Dr. Humbart "Smokey" Santillo. Based on the creator's notion that the nutritional benefits of fresh fruits and vegetables can be obtained by in a capsule of dried extracts, the supplement is touted as an easy way to help you feel better, look better, sleep better, get tired less easily, and shed a few pounds. A few small-scale studies have shown that supplementation with Juice Plus+® may increase serum antioxidants (2) (5) as well as protect lymphocytes in the elderly (4). While it is true that nutritional supplementation is important in maintaining health in many segments of the population, particularly the elderly, none of the scientific studies undertaken have sought to prove that Juice Plus+® is more effective or more bioavailable than other supplements. In addition, no studies exist to compare the physiologic effects of supplementation with Juice Plus+® and eating whole fresh fruits and vegetables. Juice Plus+® is distributed through a multi-tiered marketing scheme with exaggerated value and cost. But I dont think its sort a new product as such. In fact, companies change the brand name of the pruduct without significant product improvement. Interestingly, a book has been published on the subject. You may have a look at http://www.lulu.com/content/587718 or if you wish u can buy it from either Amazon or Barnes & Noble with the title With a license to kill with ISBN no. 978-1-84753-026-4

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I would be surprised if there were scientific, double-blinded studies as nutrinional supplements don't need to produce them (being very costly), but the companies shouldn'd advertise with claims to heal diseases.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76brett View Post

But I don't think it's sort a new product as such. In fact, companies change the brand name of the pruduct without significant product improvement.
I would love to read the sources that indicates that this is the exact case with Juice Plus+. Thanks.

Lothar, AFAIK it doesn't and the people that represent it don't (or, that is to say, they shouldn't). In all the literature I've read and in everything I've seen, they're very clear to indicate that this isn't a cure and it doesn't prevent or treat diseases. Even the lady that intruduced it to me was very sure and careful to tell me that this wouldn't cure my arthritis, but it could possibly help manage it better. I've had this condition long enough to know that it really can't be cured, only managed, but every pitchman out there will put arthritis at the top of their list as things their product can cure (yes, they use the actual word, too). When she said "this stuff could possibly help you manage your arthritis a bit better", I was all ears.

I was also all ears because it's just food - raw food, to be exact. The same stuff that scients say we need to eat more of and the same stuff that I, myself, eat nearly every day (I say "nearly" because I don't eat raw beets every day, I don't eat raw spinach every day, etc
). My ears were doubly perked when I found out wasn't a fancy complex with indredients in it I can't pronounce or recognise, it wasn't an extract of one or two exotic/semi-exotic "superfoods" and it wasn't some supplement filled to the brim with the latest nutritional buzzwords. It's. Just. Food. That's it. That's all. No fillers, no colouring agents, no preservatives or additives. It's food, the real food and nothing but the food. I already knew that great food will yield great results because I've seen it personally in my own life (the vegan realfoods diet has helped me by leaps and bounds, as I've posted many times here) and when I discovered that this also is just food AND the same sort of food I eat.... well, it wasn't much of a stretch to understand that this stuff could help me as much as the diet I'm already on.

Being on it as long as I have (only a couple of months now), I've noticed that my arthritis IS better managed. Things that used to flare me don't flare me as badly and the flares don't seem to last as long, PLUS, I AM noticing an increase in energy. The weight-loss portion of it, however, I'm still waiting for.

The book that was linked above is in reference to the PHARMACEUTICAL industry, not NATURALCEUTICALS as Juice Plus+ is (remember, it's just food - nothing extracted or manufactured like medications are). IMO, it's comparing apples to car tires to say that Juice Plus is on the same level as the medications made by big Pharma.

I also find the words "exaggerated value and cost" to be quite a laugh as it's impossible to find 17 [raw] fruits, veggies and 2 whole grains for $1.33 per day (the cost of the actual product - 40$, divided by a 30-day month). Even the lady that used to use real, live food in her displays [to display what Juice Plus+ contains] once told me that it would cost her about 50$ to buy everything, but often would be much, much more because not everything was in season when she needed it (and I don't have to mention that produce out of season WILL always cost more than produce in season). The super-cool thing about Juice Plus+ is that the price is the same, regardless of the growing seasons.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I was on juice plus for about 8 months. I recently quit because I don't want to budget in $40 a month when I'm already eating a ton of fruits and vegetables a day! I didn't notice any changes in my health. I originally started taking it because someone said they had never gotten sick since taking it. I've been sick twice since taking it.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
4EverGrounded -: do you use it to help fight osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis? If it works for: fine and congratulations. But I'm not sure that an addition to a healthy diet is necessary. Some firms have contacted our center to tell patients to buy certains drinks with neutraceuticals, which we don't (we don't want to and we aren't allowed to do so).

Back to JP. How much goes into capsukes.

Didi you read wikipedia on juice plus? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juice_Plus

I give the following text to patients with osteoarthritis / sorry for the German, please run it through some translation maschine (my access is blocked):

-\tBewegungsübungen der Fingergelenke, auch in Wärme,

-\tdie Kost sollte reich sein an ß-Karotin/Lycopin (z.B. Karotten/Möhren, Spinat, Feldsalat, Tomaten), Vit. E (z.B. Öle, Nüsse, Samen) und C (z.B. Paprika, Kiwi, Zitrusfrüchte),

-\tweniger gesättigte, mehr mehrfach ungesättigte Fettsäuren, insbesondere omega-3-Fettsäuren (Leinöl und Hanföl sowie deren Samen, Walnüsse),

-\tviel Trinken, auch und insbesondere Brennnesseltee (Einfluss auf die Prostaglandinsynthese und die Zytokinfreisetzung [Interleukin-1 und TNF-alpha]),

-\tSchutz der Gelenke vor Überlastungen, wie z.B. Auswringen oder Putzarbeiten mit Hin- und Herbewegungen der Hände unter Andruck („Wienern"),

-\tBewegung für die großen Gelenke durch sportliche Betätigung, wobei sich Walking, Radfahren, Schwimmen eignen, Treppensteigen gemieden werden sollte [eine Wanderung auf ebener Erde ist gut, eine Besteigung des Kölner Doms wäre schlecht],

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I use it for my RA. AFAIK, I don't have any osteoarthritis.

I ran the text through a translator but it came out a bit hard to read (and sadly, German is not my best language
). The parts I could make sense of, however, I do agree with. Movement of the joints and especially in warmth does help, I've noticed. Especially if I'm feeling a bit stiff that day. Making sure the diet is rich in beta carotene and licopene is also good although there are people who say that things like tomatoes should be avoided because they're in the nightshade family. I did the NS elimination diet in my early days and it didn't help me or hurt me so tomatoes are in my diet along with the rest of the NS family. Sensitive people, however should stay away from tomatoes/night shades if they do find it flares them (but it sorta stands to reason they should stay from anything that causes a flareup). Movement as much as can be tolerated is also a good thing although the Cathedral in Cologne sounds like it would be a bit daunting for just about anyone to manage, let alone people with mobility issues.

I would also hasten to add that an avoidance of animal products (as much as possible) helps a lot as there's an acid in animal tissue that does tend to increase the incidences of flare ups (arachidonic acid I think is the name of it but I'll have to look it up later to see if that's really the acid I'm thinking of or if I'm blending with something else).

BBTT: I've heard the JP+ capsules are supposed to be equivalent to 4 pounds of raw fruits/veggies. I'll see if I can find where I read that as well.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

BBTT: I've heard the JP+ capsules are supposed to be equivalent to 4 pounds of raw fruits/veggies. I'll see if I can find where I read that as well.
I'd be interested to know, what they put into the capsule and what they eliminate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.