VeggieBoards banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Hari Om!

We Hindus treat Cow as a Mother & drink her milk throughout our lives. I think it is the best gift of God to humanity. Cow milk is considered to be very nutritious (it is the only drink which contains maximum number of nutrients required by human body). So, it is very good to consume cow milk & its bi-products like butter, cheese, ghee, etc.
There are issues with cruelty to cattle in India, though...

http://indiatogether.org/reports/peta.htm

Reactions: MozIsMyShepherd

·
Lovable misanthrope
1,398 Posts
Hari Om!

We Hindus treat Cow as a Mother & drink her milk throughout our lives. I think it is the best gift of God to humanity. Cow milk is considered to be very nutritious (it is the only drink which contains maximum number of nutrients required by human body). So, it is very good to consume cow milk & its bi-products like butter, cheese, ghee, etc.
I don't think I agree with the statement that it's good for us as it's been proven otherwise, but that aside I'd like to say it's not JUST about us and what is good for us and what we want

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
FYI, if you can try these :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes Go Vegan, I am also very upset at the killings & atrocities commited on the cows in India. But, I think things will improve shortly.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Hari Om!

In the US, the vast majority of cows are treated horribly. So I don't eat/drink dairy products.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Yes Go Vegan, I am also very upset at the killings & atrocities commited on the cows in India. But, I think things will improve shortly.
Have you considered that the milk industry might not be as benign as you have been brought up to believe? For example, have you ever heard of dairy cows being mistreated? Or maybe heard of a link between the dairy and meat industries?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go Vegan, here in India, dairy farms are treating the cows OK, since, as I said, there is the religious angle to it.

As I said, there are issues with the killings & mistreatment of cows by meat & tanning industries, but I am hopeful that things will improve a lot in near future.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
Go Vegan, here in India, dairy farms are treating the cows OK, since, as I said, there is the religious angle to it.

As I said, there are issues with the killings & mistreatment of cows by meat & tanning industries, but I am hopeful that things will improve a lot in near future.
I agree with your second point...

However, wrt your first comment: I am doubtful that all dairy cows are treated ok...What happens if they get old/ sick?...What happens to the male calves?

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I do want to add that while India cuisine includes butter, yogurt, paneer and milk, it isn't nearly to the extent of Western cultures. They don't make hard cheeses either which can use something like 8 quarts of milk to one pound of cheese.
Just in terms of lesser production needs would make conditions far better.

Are the cows in India more like the original cows instead of the specifically bred cows for increased milk?

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I think we need to be careful about judging cultures other than our own. Dairy cows and the nutrition from them have been part of Indian life and sprituality for so long. Yes, "modern" practices and poverty have combined to make many of the Indian cows' plights worse than in the past, but don't judge. It's a different situation.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
hey everyone, i know there is a wealth of information here but im having trouble finding what im looking for. i see people have given various brands that are available in stores but i have a slightly different question: are these substitutes healthy? im cautious of if they have too much added fake ingredients or chemicals, or whatever that they aren't real food and would be terrible to digest. i would like to use vegan options for butter and eggs for baking.(chia seeds for french toast?) i hope my question doesn't upset anyone. thank you!
This is the perfect forum to ask such questions. Nothing for anyone to get upset about. :D

I tend to favor soymilks for drinking and have tried to use ground flaxseeds as substitutes for some home-baked goods, but I'm still experimenting. The "fruitcake" I once tried to make was more of a fruit bread... not bad, and probably healthier than a nonvegan one, but let's say it was a work in progress. I mostly drink water.

In the US, the vast majority of cows are treated horribly. So I don't eat/drink dairy products.
I do miss milk, but that doesn't mean my body needs it- cravings are notoriously unreliable indicators of dietary deficiency. Anyway, by the time I got around to seriously getting dairy (and egg) out of my diet, I was long past the age I should have been weaned- so it was about time!!!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This is the perfect forum to ask such questions. Nothing for anyone to get upset about. :D

I tend to favor soymilks for drinking and have tried to use ground flaxseeds as substitutes for some home-baked goods, but I'm still experimenting. The "fruitcake" I once tried to make was more of a fruit bread... not bad, and probably healthier than a nonvegan one, but let's say it was a work in progress. I mostly drink water.

I do miss milk, but that doesn't mean my body needs it- cravings are notoriously unreliable indicators of dietary deficiency. Anyway, by the time I got around to seriously getting dairy (and egg) out of my diet, I was long past the age I should have been weaned- so it was about time!!!!
Just wanted to agree about the cravings not necessarily indicating a deficiency. If cravings indicated deficiency, I am extremely cake deficient right now. Chocolate cake, specifically.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
I think we need to be careful about judging cultures other than our own. Dairy cows and the nutrition from them have been part of Indian life and sprituality for so long. Yes, "modern" practices and poverty have combined to make many of the Indian cows' plights worse than in the past, but don't judge. It's a different situation.
It is precisely the plight of the cows that I am most concerned about...Any large scale dairy production is going to be unpleasant for a lot of animals...Whilst I am glad that cows are often treated with respect by Hindus in India, I am concerned about those animals that do suffer in this country - just as they suffer in every other country...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with your second point...

However, wrt your first comment: I am doubtful that all dairy cows are treated ok...What happens if they get old/ sick?...What happens to the male calves?
I have not seen or heard of any diary mistreating the cows (or male calves) here in India. Here, common people consider it their duty to feed the cows. I also feed the cows almost daily. Here, there are special stables (Gaushalas) created for housing the cows who may not have a home due to any reason.

I do want to add that while India cuisine includes butter, yogurt, paneer and milk, it isn't nearly to the extent of Western cultures. They don't make hard cheeses either which can use something like 8 quarts of milk to one pound of cheese.
Just in terms of lesser production needs would make conditions far better.

Are the cows in India more like the original cows instead of the specifically bred cows for increased milk?
In India, almost all the cows are of the original native breed. Yes, they produce lesser quantities of milk as compared to cross breed cows, but our native cow milk quality is superior to the quality of a cross bred cow.

You r right - Indian perspective of cows is altogether different from that of the other countries in the background of our religious beliefs. I think you can judge it only by visiting India & seeing for yourself.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
I have not seen or heard of any diary mistreating the cows (or male calves) here in India. Here, common people consider it their duty to feed the cows. I also feed the cows almost daily. Here, there are special stables (Gaushalas) created for housing the cows who may not have a home due to any reason.
I appreciate that generally cows are treated much better in India...And I agree that the Hindu religion plays a really positive part in this...And I can see you are a very caring veggie :)

My main concern, though, is getting to the truth. In India, veal is produced and it's production is rising:

http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=in&commodity=beef-and-veal-meat&graph=production

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/a...4-outlook-veal-made-slaughtering-plants-india

http://agpolicy.org/weekpdf/689.pdf

Veal calves are male dairy calves. This means that somewhere in India, male dairy calves are killed for veal. Unless you know the exact ins and outs of who does this/ where they do it/ how it is done/ what foods or drinks are directly or indirectly associated with this process, you run the risk of inadvertently contributing to this :(

See also this:

http://freefromharm.org/animal-crue...the-dark-side-of-the-dairy-industry-in-india/

·
Registered
72 Posts
The killing of cattle for their meat is a big menace in India & it is due to the apathy of the governments that we were/ are being ruled by. But, as I said, I am hopeful that things will improve soon in this matter.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts