VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on losing some weight in the next 2ish months.

I want to set a goal, but I want the goal to be realisitc, and a healthy one.. as I plan on losing weight in a slow and healthy way!

I've been briefly googling for it, maybe I'm searching the wrong words.. but yeah hopefully you guys have some knowlegde!

Also I'm not classified as overweight, but I am at the larger end of "healthy" weights for my height, I know this affects how much I should be aiming to lose.

It isn't completely about the weight loss, I'd like to get rid of the very flabby bits I never used to have! And start eating healthier (my god my diet is awful, I'm not going to be doing any kind of weird diet.. or restricting food intake.. just switching bad food habits for good ones!) as well as excercising (so far I excercise.. NEVER.. I'm going to build up that slowly.. as I really would like to increase my fitness levels.. which again consist of.. nothing!!!) but I know for me to actually be sucessful I need to have a measurable goal.

I was thinking 5kgs (11lb) as that would take me down to what I used to be (oddly enough I considered myself massive back then.. wheras now I don't even.. haha!) but like I said, I'm completely new at this healthy weight losing business! And any insight and help would be greatly appreciated, even links to any sites or anything!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I heard once if you do something for 3 weeks it becomes habit. I am not sure if it is true but it has worked for me.

Make a committment to workout everyday for three weeks - even if it is just walking or a yoga DVD or dancing around to music, to get your mind conditioned that exercising is something you just do now. And three weeks isn't that long - anyone can commit to doing something for that time period. And find exercise that you like - that makes a big difference and set goals for yourself but be realistic.

Have healthy snacks at hand at all times, drinks lots of water, allow yourself a special treat once and awhile and don't give up if you mess up - just jump right back in.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyday for three weeks!! I'm not sure if that is really a realistic starting point for me haha.. the girl who's excercise history is that she's.. been for a run about twice in her life..

I was thinking more like at least 2 times a week.. then the next week 3 times.. etc!

Thanks for the link Jessica, although I'm not too sure about tracking my calorie intake so much.. I might keep track of what I eat.. too see how awful it really is (I did that for a week at the start of the year) and what I can change.. and how well I'm doing.. etc.. but I'm not interested in calorie counting!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Well you don't have to count calories. It does show you how much of other nutrients you're getting, though, if that interests you.

Or I believe you can just track your weight there if you'd like.

·
Registered
702 Posts
And you don't have to do a serious workout routine every single day. It just helped me to get into the mindset of doing some kind of physical activity every day. Maybe do 2 more difficult workouts per week and then do lighter exercise the other 5 days ie walking or light yoga or streching.

But do what works for you - It took me years to figure out what was best for me.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You can try working out doing something that does not feel like much of a work out when you are doing it.

Pilates is like that for me, when I am doing them it feels like nothing.

Works you like mad though, you feel it the next day and results are great as far as getting rid of jiggly areas.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i find that making subtle changes are the best start. right now, i'm in process of working on my pre-pregnancy diet. this involves going sugar and gluten free.

at the beginning of the summer, i was still drinking soda--so the first thing that i did was go off soda. now, if i had a soda now and again, i didn't beat myself up over it, but i did observe WHY i had it, how it tasted, how my body responded to it, etc. This informed me so that the next time i was in that situation, i could choose differently based on both my needs and my desire. Now, i don't drink soda at all and have no desire to.

my next process, then, is sugar. i strive not to eat sugary foods (meaning, cookies, candy, etc). now, last weekend, we went to a party that a friend was having as a halloween party. i had some of the home-made sweets. occassionally i have dark chocolate at home. I'm not worried about these things. But, i'm basicly only eating sugar on rare occassions--not on a regular basis.

I figure once i get comfortable with my sugar level (either very low sugar consumption or no sugar consumption), i'll move into the gluten-free process. i feel that will take longer. i like pizza on fridays.

so, this is the process. in this process, i noticed that my shape changed considerably--that is i got leaner, etc--without doign anything but cutting out soda, and then cutting back on sugary foods.

and, as soon as this cold is over, i'm going to revamp my workout stuff and see how that goes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good tips and stuff, thanks everyone!

I'm lucky in the fact that I'm going into summer here.. (Except for the fact it's pouring down at the moment what!) so that should make going for walks, runs, whatever more desirable!

I only drink diet soda.. and not terribly often.. but I think I will cut that out anyway, as this isn't just about weight loss.. it's about getting healthy!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ooo I like!!

That's definately a good thing for me.. because I need something with goals.. but is also a realistic and achievable but also something I have to work for to accomplish.. and that looks like it.. heck I might even start that sooner then when I planned to start my fitness etc stuff. Tomorrow even!!

Thanks very much elena!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts