VeggieBoards banner

Healthy/Quick/Filling Breakfast ideas

5K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
So I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat for breakfast. I usually have a packet of instant oatmeal, but that doesn't fill me up.

What are some ideas for Quick/Filling/Healthy breakfast I could have. The only thing I can think of is a cup of yogurt and half a bagel.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Anni

#7 ·
This is a real issue for me too. I'm lucky if I have the brainpower to open a Clif Bar in the morning - forget about tofu scramble...
I can't even manage nuking oatmeal most mornings... I keep thinking I could bake granola bars ahead of time, but that hasn't worked for me.

And I don't really care for cold cereal.

When I can get it together, I do like a little toast, or a cheese sandwich in the morning, but that's not exactly a well rounded breakfast...

I'm trying really hard to train myself to like breakfast, cuz it really does make a difference when I manage it.

#10 ·
Instant oatmeal isn't nearly as filling/healthy as "slow cook" or "old fashioned" oatmeal in the canister... which takes a whopping 5 minutes in the microwave. Make it with low fat milk/alterna-milk instead of water, and add some dried fruit (i.e. raisins, cherries) and a tbsp of nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds) and you will feel fuller much longer! I can usually go about 5 hrs on that. I've found though, the more sugar it has the FASTER I become hungry because I guess I burn up the sugar and my body wants more. If I make it with no sugar and just a bunch of cinnamon and a little salt, it sticks around longer.

Whole wheat toast with a bit of peanut butter and a banana also fills me up for a really long time!!

#11 ·
If I need a filling breakfast, I like a bean and rice burrito. I've been using Amy's brand, but you can make a whole buncha them yourself and freeze them individually, then you just zap'em in the micro for 2 mins or so. These make cheap, handy, portable meals for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I also like to make huge tofu scrambles with brocolli, kale and green beans at night, and then eat it for breakfast for the next couple of days.

#14 ·
This is close to what I do sometimes. Bean and potato burrito... Even though more filling is beans and tofu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

If I need a filling breakfast, I like a bean and rice burrito. I've been using Amy's brand, but you can make a whole buncha them yourself and freeze them individually, then you just zap'em in the micro for 2 mins or so. These make cheap, handy, portable meals for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I also like to make huge tofu scrambles with brocolli, kale and green beans at night, and then eat it for breakfast for the next couple of days.

#15 ·
Tofu scramble and home-fried potatoes (big chunks with bell peppers and onions).

Sometimes (like froggy,) we put it in a tortilla, sometimes a pita, sometimes with toast...

OK, a disclaimer, I've gotten very quick at making the above (using parboiled potatoes and prechopped veggies, etc) I can see how it wouldn't seem that fast to most people though... (rarely) we'll have leftovers and my Sprout-kids will re-heat them in a tortilla, in the microwave... you could make stuff ahead and do this...

#16 ·
I'm an oatmeal junkie. Every morning I have the exact same breakfast...which goes to show how un-morning-person I am, seeing as how I hate eating the same thing twice in a row if it isn't for breakfast.

Invariably, my breakfast is as follows:

1/3 cup dry slow oats (the package says to cook from 12-15 minutes)

1/3 cup frozen blueberries

handful of raisins

handful of walnuts

tbsp wheat germ

cinnamon

1 cup of water

I mix everything together in a pot, put it on the stove on medium-low and go take my shower. When I've finished showering, breakfast is ready.

I eat breakfast at 6:00 and this is the ONLY thing that keeps me going until lunch. On days when I'm rushed and I eat cold cereal or toast w/ pb, I'm starving by 10:00.

I read on a message board (not sure if it was this one) about someone who mixed up the ingredients for oatmeal in a thermos and then just added a cup of boiling water. By the time they got to work, it was ready to eat. I think that's a great idea and I'm going to try it, as soon as I buy a thermos. If it works, it will transform old-fashioned oatmeal into a "no cook" meal!

#17 ·
That's one thing about tofu scramble. Unlike eggs, you can cook up a huge batch and put it in a container in the fridge for use throughout the entire week. All it needs is to be reheated. (You could do that with eggs, but they always tasted best when they were first cooked. Tofu scrambles can actually improve in flavor from sitting.)

#18 ·
I thought of another... make some sort of bran/oat/whole grain muffin, low in sugar, with fruit (or veggies, i.e. carrot raisin muffins) on the weekend, then put them in a big ziplock bag and store the in the freezer. It takes about 20 seconds to microwave them so that they're edable again, and you can take it to go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.