VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all. I am going to attempt to give up my morning coffee. Now that I am eating a healthier diet I am noticing that after my morning 3 cups of coffee, I don't feel so good. I tend to be slightly on the hypoglycemic side and the coffee really messes with my appetite making me want to gorge myself until I finally feel my low bloodsugar back up to normal....I get shakey too. I just thought it was me (duh!) but now that I am paying attention I think it is the coffee.

Thios morning I am having tea, but wondering what you favorite morning beverages are.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Well I'm a coffee drinker myself so I know what you're going through. It's very difficult to give up (actually I gave up on giving up). When I don't drink coffee in the morning, I like to blend soy milk with a couple bananas. Orange juice is good too. I like the fresh taste of it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have Horlicks or Ovaltine - I know these are bedtime drinks, but they are full of vitamins and slow release sugars.

Yum!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Tea or smoothies are my favorites if I'm not having coffee. I really like Chai, but then if I pick that, I have to resist dropping an espresso shot into it.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Tea is my favourite morning go-to if I can't have coffee. Celestial seasonings makes a chai spice tea that is SCRUMMY in the morning. Their white tea with pear is lovely, too - so very delicate. Otherwise, I'll reach for apple cider (hard free
) or some chocolaty plant milk (usually almond or soy).

I love the idea of having a smoothie or blended salad in the morning, but I'm usually not alert enough to actually make one at that hour.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I'm a coffee drinker, so I don't really know what to "replace" it with, but I like orange juice and especially sanguinello (um, I think that's what it's called...'blood orange' juice) in the morning sometimes. Water, as well. If you want a hot drink and aren't into herbal teas (ugh) and stuff, orange squash made with hot water instead of cold is pretty good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dace- For various reasons I'm trying to give up coffee too (again!!) I wish I didn't have to but it really doesn't agree with me despite the fact that I LOVE it!! Such a shame

Anyway when I'm trying to give it up I drink tea -both regular and herbal. If you look in the health food store you should find lots of interesting teas that might capture your interest so you won't miss coffee so much. I also read that hot water with lemon is very refreshing and cleansing in the morning.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I usually have some sort of juice (orange, guava, mango) or milk (1% or chocolate). If I'm not running late, I like to have tea.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
You can try Teeccino! It's actually quite good and available at Whole Foods and the like. It's an herbal, caffeine free coffee substitute that you perk through your coffee pot

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
You COULD try decaf. I know that in most coffee shops there is still a little caffeine left in the decaf, but none/less if you get espresso. (even the amount in the drip decaf in negligible.) I usually get a double decaf americano, as I don't want to have caffeine as a result of feeding my bébé. You can choose how much water they add to adjust how strong you like it. Even if you take it quite weak, espresso has such a good, creamy, nutty flavor. Deeeelish.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
you could try making fruit smoothies or green smoothies. or if you have a juicer, make fruit juices, green juices.

i can't really think of anything thinner than a smoothie, other than water.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
In japan they drink miso broth in the morning, I do that quite a bit, or I'll drink it all day if I'm sick. It's a nice easy "wake up" to my system, no caffene.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you all gave me some great food for thought, I appreciate your input

This morning I had green tea, which still has caffeine(sp) but I picked up some lemons and tomorrow I will try hot lemony water.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Another nice 'wake-up' drink is some good tomato juice (store-bought). If you work-out in the morning, this is an especially nice after-workout beverage. Mmmm!

I (when it's a non-workout morning) usually drink a caffeine free mint tea (very refreshing and helps you wake up--promise!) or some Earl Grey if I feel like I need caffeine. But I'm pretty much off the coffee now. So proud of myself!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

I (when it's a non-workout morning) usually drink a caffeine free mint tea (very refreshing and helps you wake up--promise!) or some Earl Grey if I feel like I need caffeine. But I'm pretty much off the coffee now. So proud of myself!
For what reason, other than caffeine, would you want to stop drinking coffee?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts