VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do you guys think is most important.

I lost weight just by converting to vegetarian and find I eat in general very healthy now even thou I eat twice as much with the occasional treats.

I do not exercise as often as I use to and find I dont have the strength for hectic work outs and now that I am my ideal body precentage and weight I dont see the point in killing myself with exercise.

Is the occasional walk or jog good enough?

Actually find that sleeping and eating right helps me maintain my weight better then every. Sleeping meaning getting enough decent sleep.

I do know that exercise has its place but it also increase my appetite hugely which I hate as I love everything in moderation.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Exercise is good for your heart and lungs, and can help you keep weight off. I'd say they're about tied for importance. Generally, sedentary people have more health problems than active people.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
usually very active in summer, swim in the mornings at gym cause I wake up very early and then walk dog in afternoons but winter is a different story.

BRRR!!!

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
I don't really like to separate the two, as they both play a very important part in my life, they have done for many years and hopefully they will do for the rest of my life.

I enjoy the winter months usually, it means I have to have train harder just to stay warm.

Isn't it always warm in South Africa, apart from at night?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
You will find that exercise will help tremendously as you get older - it helps your metabolism stay high and helps you avoid a lot of the aches and pains that come with aging (and I'm talking 40s - not 70s!). It also helps ensure quality sleep and eases the way through peri- and menopause. But I think you're right - moderation in all things. I think a lot of adults who decide to start running races and playing competitive tennis after having been inactive for years risk injury and frustration.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
In my experience, diet has been more important for weight loss but exercise is more important for mood, overall health, etc. Both are important and when I'm doing well then it's because I'm eating well and I'm getting plenty of exercise. When I'm not well, I haven't been eating well or exercising enough.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i will not judge my progress just take it step by step.

@ Vincent Cape Town for us cold is 15 degrees he he he. Ok I am not use to cold weather cold for me is cold I guess more reason to exercise and stay warm.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Both, I don't feel you can be as healthy as possible without both.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Exercise important for things other than just weight loss. Everyone needs some exercise -- I think a good minimum is 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. A brisk walk will do. You shouldn't really need to eat a lot more to compensate if you're just doing the minimum, maybe an extra snack here and there. Exercise will help you maintain your weight loss, but there are other benefits too -- for example, cardiovascular health and building bone mass.

If you are a woman under 30, you are still building bone mass and need to do some sort of weight bearing exercise (walking is good, but other types of exercise can work). If you're over 30, weight bearing exercise will help you maintain the bone mass you have.

Regarding the winter issue, it's consistently below 0 degrees C here in the winter, but I still try to get outside and walk or run with my dog daily. Your dog could use the exercise year round too! If you are cold, all you need is warmer clothes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Exercise increases your appetite because it expends energy (calories), thus increases your calorie requirements from whatever you would need as a sedentary person. There's nothing to dislike about needing to eat more, unless one has a disordered relationship with food (either not wanting to eat enough or wanting to eat too much, I'm simplifying here). Exercise is valuable - your heart is a muscle, it requires exercise to function at optimal capacity, for example. You'll never escape the zombies if you have a weak and feeble heart, even if you are skinny - you'll run out of breath, have to stop and then get eaten as an appetizer. Weight-bearing exercise is also important in avoiding osteoporosis in the future, it builds maximum bone density (especially if you start in adolescence) and delays bone degeneration.

If weight loss was your only concern here, sure, diet might be a prime factor - but if you exercise, you get all the aforementioned advantages (and the ones other people have mentioned), plus you can have wiggle room for treats.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone

Thanks for the response but I don't need to lose weight as my BMI and weight is ideal.

I am 33 and just want to keep healthy.

Will just try for 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Both, I don't feel you can be as healthy as possible without both.
Yes! They really go hand in hand, they both bring different pros to the table.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Diet high in fruits and vegetables (and avoiding junk, processed foods, too many cooked foods, fried foods, salts, syrups, grains, etc.) to look good with clothes on.

Exercise to look good naked.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I am convinced that exercise has very little to do with weight loss, and that taking off fat happens 95% in the kitchen, the most important thing being to ditch the freaking sweet tooth, and maybe 5% in the gym. The gym can even backfire if you haven't learned to control your diet because, as was mentioned earlier, expending energy greatly increases your appetite. If all you know to eat is garbage, then exercising will make you eat more garbage. If you eat healthy, then what you eat will help you build yourself back up after you exercise, not simply take on the form of added weight.

But I am a fitness nerd because of all the other benefits it provides, the main one being that an active life is just more enjoyable whether it helps you live longer or not (and it is fairly well established that, on average, it does). It is almost frustrating when people assume I have no life because I can't hold a conversation about the latest episode of whatever random TV show they're babbling about. I've been hiking in parts of the world they would be physically incapable of even attempting, yet I'm missing out on something because I don't spend my time sitting on a couch? What nonsense.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

In my experience, diet has been more important for weight loss but exercise is more important for mood, overall health, etc. Both are important and when I'm doing well then it's because I'm eating well and I'm getting plenty of exercise. When I'm not well, I haven't been eating well or exercising enough.
This exactly.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It isn't either/or. You need both to be healthy.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I always felt that eating was 60%+ of the battle, but they really do go hand in hand. You put IN good foods, you put OUT good exercise.

·
Registered
455 Posts
In my personal experience, a healthy diet alone took off the weight, and not exercise alone. The year I went vegan I lost a tremendous amount of my freshman college weight with hardly any exercise. My senior year in college consisted of lots of alcohol and french fries and energy drinks and I gained it allll back and 20 pounds more. Eww. BUT I was exercising at least 20 hours a week. 3 hours of high cardio advanced dance classes 4 days a week and 1-2 hours at the gym 5 days a week (weights and abs in the morning, track or elliptical in the evening) plus walking up hills all day. You need both to be healthy and happy, but people are probably fooling themselves when they say they can eat what they want if they exercise enough. Didn't work that way for me.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the vegetarian lifestyle just keep my weight ideal. Eating everything in moderation.

My problem, I think, is thinking that you have to do weight training etc to exercise.

I mean I did some weights and my body was crying the next day. My normal food intake didnt feel adequate even thou I didnt feel hungry.

Walking my dog or taking him for a run seem to be enough for my body.

I know exercise is important but as soon as I start to exercise I gain weight or feel drained and tired cause I dont eat enough. Hate obessing about food.

Getting enough sleep and eating in moderation seem to be the way forward for me.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

I think the vegetarian lifestyle just keep my weight ideal. Eating everything in moderation.

My problem, I think, is thinking that you have to do weight training etc to exercise.

I mean I did some weights and my body was crying the next day. My normal food intake didnt feel adequate even thou I didnt feel hungry.

Walking my dog or taking him for a run seem to be enough for my body.

I know exercise is important but as soon as I start to exercise I gain weight or feel drained and tired cause I dont eat enough. Hate obessing about food.

Getting enough sleep and eating in moderation seem to be the way forward for me.
As a woman, you'll want to do some mild weight training (resistance exercise) to promote good bone health. You don't have to do it all the time. If cardio and moderated food intake works for you, then go with it. Only you know your body best, but I wouldn't completely dismiss resistance training.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts