VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this, so I will post it here and perhaps someone can move it or tell me where to put it. Also wanted to put it where it would get the most exposure.

I know us "different" people do thing different, lol..talking about multiple piercing here. Not that any of mine are anywhere but ears, but I have a hole in my right ear that will not stay healed. It is in the upper part of the lobe, near, but not in, the cartilage. It has been done 3 times now, and this last time was two years ago...but it continues to get sore and infected. I wear only surgical steel or 14 k gold in my ears...any ideas why this one whole gives me so much trouble??? It will eventuallu get well, but after a while it flares up again

thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sometimes people dp react to surgical steel and I've heard gold isn't the best thing until piercings heal. Have you tried titanium? Very few people react to that. Also what are you cleaning it with? A lot of things can be too harsh, saline solution (which you can make up yourself) is the best thing.

I don't have any exotic piercings but, being the over-cautious girl that I am, I did loads of research before I got my navel done and have never had any problems with it.

A good website is www.bmezine.com. Hope this helps and I wasn't too patronizing!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an obsession with certain piercings, so I've got some experience with this (13 different holes, actually). I happen to have severe metal allergies, so I can only wear stainless steel and 24k gold. I have had certain piercings that just don't seem to want to heal, or keep getting infected, and there doesn't seem to be a logical explination to which ones. For instance, I have two cartilage piercings in my left ear. The first one I got done healed very quickly and has never gotten infected, but the second took forever to heal and gets infected every summer when I'm in the lake constantly. It can depend on where it is in relation to hair (the ones on your head), veins in your ear and other piercings. Hopefully if you can keep it clean it will stop getting infected. Experiment with other metals (titanium, as they mentioned, or beter gold, ect.). And if it absolutely refuses to stay clean and healthy, take it out. It just isn't worth the risk of infection spreading.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the suggestions and comments all..this is so frustrating, as I really really really want to keep this piercing. I have a tiny pair of diamonds my dad gave me when I was 18, I have always worn them...I have a nice pair of 1/2 c diamonds my husband gave me last Christmas and I want to wear them, and I have lots of large, dangly earings that I love to trade and wear as well. I'd have to give up on the dangly ones forever if this hole closes up...it is the top hole in my right ear, just below the cartilage. I have been putting antibiotic ointment on it faithfully and it seems better..I think I just have to put the meds on it every time it starts to flare up. thanks again

s

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't take it out if it's truly infected (real infections will have green or yellowish pus and be really really swollen, it can be swollen and have clear fluid but not be infected), it can get even worse. leave the jewelry in and clean it 3 times a day with a really mild antibacterial soap, get one that doesnt have any fragrances or dyes. if you want to take it out wait untill the infection is cleared up. OR soak it in sea salt and hot water as well as or instead of the antibacterial soap. ive used just sea salt soaks on infected piercings and it works really well. i forget the salt to water ratio but it should taste like tears.

did you have it pierced with a gun or a needle? gun peircings are horrible, especially in cartilage. theyre super prone to irritation and all that fun stuff. it just jabbes a blunt (blunt in comparison to a piercing needle) object through your ear with no room left for natural swelling during the healing process. guns are also much more prone to cross contamination.

anyway i hope you feel better. i definately know the pain of infected piercings

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok...ear still sore...no fluids drainage that I can tell...but it is red...and hurts....I am going to start doing th salt water soaks tomorrow...I am tired of all this, but I realy want the piercing. It has gotten better and worse several times..any idea why it is so prone to red and sore?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.