VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's people out there who avoid wheat/gluten for health reasons - I don't know all that much about it though. I'm guessing the assumption is that many people have a wheat/gluten allergy or intollerance and aren't aware of it - and it causes them health problems? Or is it that some people just see it as being unhealthy in general?

I've been thinking about avoiding wheat/gluten, at least for a while, to see if it has a positive impact on my health.

So if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this, i'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
It's a "real" disease called the celiac disease. It's actually a quite common genetic disease.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/celiac/

It's an autoimmune disease, which causes people to be allergic to gluten. The only treatment is to avoid gluten (wheat, barley, rye and oats all contain gluten).

Many children are diagnosed celiac disease, however, they outgrow it later and can eat wheat again.

On the practical side, I sometimes browse celiac recipe sites and recipes, because they use a lot of substitutes and techniques interesting/useful for vegans. Celiac bakers are the substituting masters! (It's not easy to bake bread without gluten, heh)

On the general side, I think, it's a good idea to diversify your grain intake (not only wheat all the time), so there are people (like me) who just avoid eating too much wheat and eat other grains too.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I tend to limit my use of wheat / gluten because it gives me gas.

(hope that helps......)

<edited because I cannot spell>

·
Registered
0 Posts
i avoid it because i am intolerant to it. this is different from an allergy reaction though. i don't think you should have to avoid it if u are not intolerant to it?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
In addition to what everyone has said, i'll just like to add a few other problems with wheat in particular.

Firstly: The way wheat is produced these days has several problems which i'ms till learning about

Secondly, wheat is used in everything these days so that most people are putting so much into our bodies that we get a overload (remember the whole everytting in moderation well we don't get wheat in moderation) which leads to a intolerance.

I go through intolerances with wheat if i eat too much for long periods of time, however i'm fine with wholewheat products. Its always good though for anyone to alter form time to time what they would normally have for wheat, so instead of white bread (which basically lacks any nutrional value... thats another story anyway) have some rye. Instead of wheat pasta have corn etc.

Hope that helps

I really need more time to explain it but as per usual i'm posting on the run.

·
Registered
91 Posts
rye bread is rather boring.. i like spelt/kamut more. also, brown rice pasta is very good.. i find whole wheat pastas somewhat gross.

xoxo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts