VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hii!

Im new to this vegetarian thing.
I had a good friend who has been for years, but we have parted ways&I just have a couple questions I hope you could help with!
Before totally doing away with all meat I would eat chicken seafood and pepperoni.
Now after 2 weeks being meat free [I still eat dairy and eggs] I am getting horrible headaches!
I take a multi vitamin daily&eat a balanced diet.
My dad says its my body saying I need meat, however I know that is can be better for you to not eat meat.
Also is there any other vitamins/supplements i should be taking?

thanks bunches

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Did you cut out anything else like caffeine? I haven't really heard of vegetarian food causing headaches, but I'm sure there's a valid reason. A drastic change in diet can cause your body to do weird things. Are you eating enough food? You may have cut down on the number of calories you're consuming without realizing it.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Did you start eating new foods that you may be sensitive to, or allergic to? Perhaps you've increased your intake of soy and/or wheat gluten? Those are two things that some people can be sensitive to...it's quite common.

Is the change stressing you out at all? Are you arguing with people around you about YOUR food choices? That could be a cause as well.

Hydration? Have you changed the amount of liquids you take in?

The previous poster suggested caffeine... That's possible, to.

My own experience, 3.5 years ago, was that I felt like crud for the first week or two. Any sudden change in diet is going to freak your body out a bit, regardless of whether it is a change for the better or not. I also felt stressed because mentally I felt that I was missing major parts of my meal. It took a week or two for my body, and my mind, to catch up to what I was doing.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Could be unrelated to your diet; correlation does not necessarily imply cause. If they persist, see your doctor (without mentioning the change in diet unless he/she specifically asks). Could be stress, eye problems, jaw problems, back problems... any number of things, really. Could also be dietary, but I'm doubtful that cutting meat out would cause headaches.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Could be unrelated to your diet; correlation does not necessarily imply cause. If they persist, see your doctor (without mentioning the change in diet unless he/she specifically asks). Could be stress, eye problems, jaw problems, back problems... any number of things, really. Could also be dietary, but I'm doubtful that cutting meat out would cause headaches.
I'm glad you mentioned the jaw!!!
I DO get pretty bad headaches after eating a lot of raw veggies.
My jaw is slightly out of alignment, but I only notice it or even think about it if I eat a lot of chewy raw veggies, like broccoli.
If, with your new diet, you're eating a lot more fresh produce, that may to be to blame as well. There are a lot of people with undiagnosed jaw issues simply because the symptoms are very minor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a issue with my jaw it is TMJ I think they said! Maybe I'll try steaming them? As for the switching to soy Ive been drinking soy milk for a while now, I just dont care for the taste of milk. For my caloric intake, I think it is higher then before. I eat 4 or 5 medium sized meals a day, im always hungry! As for caffeine, I have been trying to reduce that. I am argueing with my family about cutting out meat.
Thanks a bunch guys! It could be honestly ANYthing you guys have said. I do have a doctors aptm for my yearly in 2 weeks, so will talk to her then! She had actually suggested a vegetarian diet in my last aptm to help with weight loss and better heart health[family history] in the long run!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I didnt have this happen when I went veggie many many years ago....but I do have it happen alot w/my food allergies....mushrooms, reg mountain dew ect......I would suggest going to a doc just to be sure and go from there.....hope you are feeling better soon.

peace

·
Banned
437 Posts
Headaches, for me, usually mean one of two things if I'm not sick.

One: I've ingested soy or soybean oil; I'm allergic. Have you swapped out meat for any kind of meat substitutes you never ate before? Could be you've got a food sensitivity.

Two: I didn't eat enough that day. You say you eat a balanced diet, but something may be lacking of which you're not aware. Do you get healthy fats every day? Healthy fats are good in moderation - try nuts, avocados and olive oil. You might be a bit low on protein, or maybe iron or calories. Veg food is often (not always) lower calorie in general, so you may not be getting as many as your body needs. Snack on nuts, apples or bananas with peanut butter, salted chickpeas (good roasted), bean chili, etc.

If eating more/better doesn't help within a day or two, it's probably a good idea to see a doctor and have your blood checked, just in case.

I hope you feel better!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hmmm... I actually had some pretty bad headaches when I went vegetarian. I assumed it was a deficiency of something, but they cleared up after 2 weeks or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts