VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting these headaches for like months and I can't figue out why, but I do think it may be due to lack of sleep (because: 1)when I wake up in the middle of the night, it throbs like crazy and 2) it hurts right around my eyes and 3) when I take naps or close my eyes it helps)

It's one of those throbbing-sound-accellerating-jerking-makes-it-worse kind of headaches right above my eye and at the back of my head.

See, I am a morning person, I like to ge tup early. But, my brother is a night person, and I like to chill with him at night, so I end up going to bed at 11:30-12:30 and getting up at 7:30-8:30 everyday. This seems like adequate sleep, so maybe now that I think about it it does not have to do with sleep. I was also thinking maybe diet has an effect? As sometimes I think sweets make it worse (but I don't know for sure).

During the school year (which is over btw) I was getting 5-6 hours sleep everynight (11:30-5:00). Mabye the lack of sleep has "caught up" on me?

·
Registered
807 Posts
It could possibly be a migraine. I don't get them (thank goodness), but a good friend of mine does, and the symptoms you're describing sound just like the ones she describes.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
some people do, and other people don't.

You wear glasses, correct? Maybe its time to head in to the eye doctor and get your perscription re-checked.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well my vision has gotten worse, but I did not want to bother my parents by asking them for more glasses, I already cost too much as it is.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Headaches seem to be the amazing catch-all symptom for stuff... Although, diet (allergies), sleep, stress, allergies (pollen/hair/etc), eye perscription (either needing or new), would be common ones - oh and blood pressure.

Being woke up in the middle of the night or sleep apnea can also cause (but normally along with being tired in the day and moodyness), also for me at least, being woke up in the morning in any unnatural way (ex: person/alarm clock, smell of cat liter).

They do definately sound like migraines though.

Offhand, have you eaten any foods recently, either new or in combinations, that you didn't before the headaches? Or perhaps started any new activities? (the cheapest solution)

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
As a kid, I suffered from chronic migraines. Still get them sometimes. I found that diet is a big part of it. I'd have a monster headache and my mom would say, "well, what did you eat today?" "Um. A bagel. A bag of chips. Some Sprite. This chocolate I found in my bag.." When you neglect that healthy variety of fruits and veggies, ta da, headaches! And Keegan.. you know you don't get much variety.
Just, like, eat a tomato.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well when I say I wake up in the night it's becasue I ahve to pee, not from the headache. Mabye it is the sugary stuff. Iam tryingto varitize, check back with my log after din din.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Keegan, if your vision is getting worse I would imagine that is what's causing the headaches. You need to fill your parents in on whats going on with this so you don't have to suffer. They're your parents and they took on the responsibilty of having you- now they have to deal with your problems. I totally understand your plight, as I have often felt that I am SO expensive (not just financially, but timewise). Nonetheless, you can't suffer from chronic headaches all the time....

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
701 Posts
Keegan, what sugar-y stuff do you eat? I never notice an abundance of sugar in your food log.

You know, not eating enough can cause headaches, too. But I do agree with the others that you should get your vision checked and perhaps see a doctor as it might be migraines. Seems like you are getting at least 8 hours of sleep every day, which is pretty good.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
It is just head pain. Unless a specific cause can be identified using radiology, or blood chemistry, etcetera, then you have realize no-one really knows for sure what causes it, and that attempts to categorize it are just based on patient descriptions, and not on any scientific facts. When people don't know what causes something, they start categorizng the different kinds, they think there might be, of that something. That may make them think they've developed actual knowledge of the something when in fact they haven't. That is where all the categories like "cluster" or "migraine" or "tension" comefrom -- just idle categorization. These categories seem to be worthless, since they they don't seem to correlate with specific treatments.

If your head hurts -- your head hurts. Seek physical and chemical pain-relievers that fix the symptoms and don't addrss the underlying problem -- that is all you can do. Trying to find the causse, beyond normal x-rays and blood tests, such as in diet or lifestyle, is not likely to help.

You may find aspects of diet or lifestyle that reduce the symptoms, but this doesn't mean you are addressing the root cause.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well it does go away after I eat sometimes, and could it be dehydration (I forget to drinky water, because it just bloats me and is no fun)?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
dehydration does cause headaches in me... well, if I drink a lot every day my headaches are a lot fewer, and if I have a headache and eat a little and drink a few glasses of water it disappears.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Sounds like sinus infection/irritation to me. That describes what I get when my head gets filled up with gunk and mucus.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i get headaches that sound exactly like the ones you get. i haven't been able to figure out yet which of the following is the cause, if not a combination...

overly sensitive eyes, or my eyesight, sensitivity to light

sinuses. when the air is dry i can almost guarantee i'll get a migraine. my sinuses seem to swell, i feel like i'm trying to breathe through a very small straw all day. in which case some of the problem could be oxygen deprivation lol

caffeine. if i feel a headache coming on, if i then have a pop or coffee, it gets like 10 times worse almost instantly.

my thyroid condition. i'm hypo, meaning my thyroid is underactive. when i'm not taking my pills (like right now because i'm out) my headaches get more frequent.

basically you have to make a list. keep track of your headaches for a few weeks. every time you have one, mark down how much sleep you got, how much time you spent in front of the tv or computer, what you ate, how much excercise you got etc etc. rate the pain from 1-10 and say how long it lasted and whether there were other symptoms like if you were dizzy or nautious.

on a day you have no headaches at all, do the same, write down all that info.

after a few weeks go back and compare. if all the days you got headaches were days you spent more time in front of the computer, got less sleep, and spent no time outside, maybe it's eyestrain or your eyes are sensitive to artificial light.

you get what i mean i'm sure, just keep track of them for a bit to find out why you're getting them. if it's something you can prevent yourself by eating right or whatever then it's worth finding out before going to the doctor where they'll just want to shove pills down your throat that could just make things worse.

as for getting rid of headaches, since ours are similar i'll share what helps. tylenol/asperin do nothing. ibuprofen like Advil, Motrin, Aleve, etc, are the only painkillers that do a lick of good for mine. ice water. i find swishing icewater around the roof of my mouth or eating a popsicle or sucking icecubes really helps. i don't know if it's a cause or symptom of my headaches but i think the tissues in the head actually swell. something cold on the roof of the mouth really helps to bring it down i feel. also standing barefoot on a cold floor, as well as a cold cloth on the forehead.

usually i do this: pop a Motrin, take my socks off, sit on the couch with my head back and a cold cloth on my entire face. usually passes in about 10 minutes.

either way they suck. hope some of that helps

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luckily I have not been getting them lately. I think it may be deyhradtion, as my blood test showed I was dehydrated, and eating and drinking help temporaraly. ALso lack of sleep. LAtely I have been taking naps and sleeping more than duing school (which was 6-6.5 hours/night). Thanks for the help, I will try that next time!

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Keegan, I am a parent of a college student. Yes you guys are expensive, but we love you and pain is not normal. Tell your folks about the eye pain. If you need glasses, you need glasses. I would rather buy more glasses than know my kid was in pain. Get off your duff and go do it now.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah my mom didn't hesitate to get me my glasses in highschool even though things were tight. i don't wear them very often though as they're only for distance. needed them for school so i could read the blackboard and if i ever get a driver's license i'll need them to drive but otherwise i don't use them. could be part of my problem. i may try wearing them for a week or two and see if there's any change, cause i'm getting a lot of headaches recently

1 - 20 of 22 Posts