VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alleged terrorist group PETA is at it again!

http://www.newsobserver.com/front/st...-2284886c.html

Quote:
PETA sign equates pig with Lamb

Eastbound travelers on Interstate 40 see the message on a 36-foot-wide billboard just north of Wilmington: "He Died For Your Sins. Go Vegetarian."

The words end next to a 12-foot-tall image of a squinty-eyed pig. And that's the only place you'll see the sign in North Carolina, where equating a pig with Jesus just doesn't fly.

Only one company in the nation's second-largest hog-producing state accepted $3,500 from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals to put up the billboard for a month during the Easter season.

"We feel they have just as much right to get their message out to the public as hotels, motels and topless bars," said Donald Tedder, owner of Outdoor Ink!, an independent Wilmington-based billboard firm that put up the sign Tuesday. "It's not an ugly picture. In fact it's kind of cute."

But Bobby Soule, general manager of Lamar Advertising's Asheville office, who has rented billboard space to PETA before, rejected the message.

"In my mind only one person died for our sins," he said Wednesday. "And it's not a pig."

A PETA spokesman said the ad -- part of an anti-meat Easter campaign aimed at farming states -- was turned down by all the major North Carolina billboard companies, including Fairway Outdoor Advertising, Lamar Advertising Co. and Viacom Outdoor. PETA managed to rent signs only in Savannah, Ga.; Springfield, Mo.; Pensacola, Fla.; and Wilmington.

A Viacom spokesman declined to comment, and managers at the two other companies said the design is offensive and violates voluntary standards set by the 1,100-member Outdoor Advertising Association of America.

"It's not a true statement, so why would we choose as a company to put it out there?" asked Chris Best, Fairway's sales manager in Raleigh. He said he posed the same question to the PETA representative who called him, and she never really answered.

Bruce Friedrich, PETA's director of vegan outreach and a self-described devout Christian, said the public needs to hear the group's argument: that farm animals are routinely abused in the state's slaughterhouses. "We want everyone to think about the fact that if they're eating meat they're promoting cruelty to animals," he said, especially during Easter. "It's a time for Christians to ponder what we can do to decrease suffering and misery in the world."

Beth Anne Mumford, spokeswoman for the N.C. Pork Council, an advocate for the pork industry, called the billboard another in a series of PETA's "outrageous antics to promote their anti-meat agenda."

"It seems highly inappropriate to me that during this period of one of the most important religious holidays for the people of North Carolina that this billboard would be posted," she said. "I think people are going to see through that."

Tedder, whose firm owns about 250 signs statewide, said he will consider feedback but has no plans to cancel PETA's contract. Ever the entrepreneur, he offered another solution for those upset by PETA's message: Rent a billboard of their own nearby.

But he added: "I'd probably try to separate it so it's not the same line of sight."

·
Registered
0 Posts
Cool. Good for them putting up the billboard. Hopefully someone that sat down to their ham dinner yesterday gave it some meaningful thought that yes, the pig did die so that they could eat it. As far as dieing for their sins; if eating flesh is a considered a sin I suppose you could stretch that statement to be kind of true. I think that people who continue to eat flesh and believe in the 10 commandments to be hypocrits anyhow. I mean, does though shalt not kill apply only to humans in regards to other humans? I don't think so. It's killing all living beings. Period.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I imagine it would be pretty offensive to Christians. Alienating your target audience with blasphemy before you try to convince them to change their ways doesn't seem like the most productive tactic.

I'm not sure who they were trying to target. But now a lot of Christians are going to equate ethical animal treatment with 'those blasphemers that put up that billboard', which doesn't seem the most productive way to advance their cause.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'm not christian, but using Jesus to promote an ideology other than christianity seems a bit blasphemous to me.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It is just going to piss people off.

Everyday, I have to drive past 2 billboards with religious messages and they bug me...

I hate billboards...

I would like them to all go away.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Being clever is not the way to people's hearts, especially if they're not clever themselves.

I've said it a thousand times; People stop listening when you start shouting. When you put people on the defense, they get defensive. When you offend people, they see you as hurtful and not helpful...

Education doesn't happen this way. Maybe awareness, but... it's a double-edged sword.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Good or bad, right or wrong, I'm glad they are actually trying to do something publicly to help the animals. So, they piss some folks off. Maybe a handful of folks will be touched enough to stop and think about what they are doing. If they message wasn't being conveyed, would those that are pissed off be considering the treatment of the animals they are eating? Probably not. I agree that there are better ways of reaching folks, but I also believe that trying to reach some is better than not ever trying at all.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I am not easily offended, but that billboard is atrocious. PETA pretty consistently makes vegetarians out to be extreme wackos. Honestly, if I had heard of PETA before I went veg I would probably still be eating meat to spite them.

Mskedi

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really? If it wasn't for PETA I wouldn't have become a vegetarian. I guess some people (meaning me) need extreme messages to get them to pay attention, whereas other people need something else. Anything that says "you're doing wrong by eating meat" is going to be offensive to a meat-eater, but that was the message I needed to hear to get me to take a second look at my eating habits.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Surely they could have come up with a more appropriate tagline. The picture of the pig is great, and the "aahh, cute" factor high, but we need all the friends we can get in this crusade - and pissing off Christians is not clever.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
kpickell,

We probably disagree because we have different reasons for being veg. While *I* have no desire to eat meat, I don't necessarily think the eating of meat is wrong. I'm glad PETA made a positive change in your life -- I just am not a big fan of their tactics.

Mskedi

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I think all this billboard does is give a smug, arrogant feeling of self-satisfaction to the folks at PETA and make the rest of us look bad. They have so many members and so much national recognition and money compared to some groups, they could've come up with better than this. I am glad they are doing something but they have a responsibility to do better.

I am atheist and I find anything that uses Jesus to promote a cause incredibly offensive. I wish this had a disclaimer that said, "This promotional tactic not necessarily supported by all members of the AR community. Blame us, not them."

I agree with everyone who said it is basically a bad idea to be offensive to your target audience. Maybe the chior finds the ad funny, but those are not who they are trying to convert.

Thanks, PETA, for making people act pissed off at me when they find out I support AR.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

I think all this billboard does is give a smug, arrogant feeling of self-satisfaction to the folks at PETA and make the rest of us look bad. They have so many members and so much national recognition and money compared to some groups, they could've come up with better than this. I am glad they are doing something but they have a responsibility to do better.

Do you think they would have all this money and recognition if it wasn't for there extreme tactics? From what I heard, PETA from it's beginning have been, and continue to be known for there extreme tactics, which I assume is what got them 600,000 plus members.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Apple

Do you think they would have all this money and recognition if it wasn't for there extreme tactics? From what I heard, PETA from it's beginning have been, and continue to be known for there extreme tactics, which I assume is what got them 600,000 plus members.
600,000 paying them to do more extreme tactics, to get more members, more extreme tactics. Too bad all their money isn't going to Farm Sanctuary, vegan outreach, etc.

I'd like to see some stats on their members. Like their demographics and the turnover rate.

Even if it actually works on the population at large, the end doesn't justify the means (being incredibly hurtful, disrespectful, insulting to large groups of society)

I'm surprised they haven't yet come up with an ad with a battered wife, a black man being whipped by his slavemaster and called names, child abuse, etc. and turned it into an ad for themselves.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.