VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place.

I went vegetarian four and a half months ago (specifically on October 2nd; I still have it in email logs). I didn't actually have change my diet that much; I ate very little meat to begin with, and was already eating a large amount of vegetables, so I simply replaced the meat in my diet with beans and soy. I tend to eat everything in the same quantities I did before, just using meat substitute now.

But I've found myself having a problem that's getting worse as time goes on, and I'm not sure how but I'm increasingly thinking it has something to do with a dietary imbalance.

I started noticing around two months ago that when I ate vegetable based meals (as opposed to legume, grain, or fruit based), I'd have nausea afterwards. And as time has gone on, the nausea has gotten worse, and I've been struggling not to vomit. It's not like I dislike the taste or anything; the nausea starts about 30 minutes after eating.

It doesn't happen with anything except vegetable based meals. Like, a bowl of minestrone soup will cause this. But a bowl of lentil soup won't. Or a fajita will, but a burrito won't. Salad will, peanut butter and jelly sandwich won't.

Today it got so bad that I had to shove like 20 saltine crackers down my throat even though I was already full, and suck on a garlic clove, in order not to vomit back up my minestrone soup.

I'm getting really worried about this. Does anybody have any idea what I'm not getting in my diet that could be causing me to be unable to digest vegetable matter anymore?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Is it maybe tomatoes causing this, they are fairly acidic. My only other thought is are you preggers, lol.
It's possibly tomatos, as I'm eating a lot of them, though I've always eaten 3-4 bowls of tomato soup a week, and it's one of the things I'm struggling to digest now. It's possible that diet I used to consume was more antacid than my current diet is, however...

Because of what you suggested, I stumbled across this.
http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm
And... it's possible that I've switched to a higher acidic diet before. Maybe I was dancing close to the edge of what my digestive system could handle, and when I switched to consuming more soy (which is apparently more acidic than meat) and stuff, it pushed it over the edge. I'll have to look through this more and see if it stands up to the hypothesis.

Not pregnant, as I've had a hysterectomy.

Is it possible that I have some sorta vitamin deficit in something? Is there one that would cause me nausea if I'm missing it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It sounds like you have a problem with your internal pH balance, which can cause stomach acid to over-produce and lead to acid reflex and other conditions. I used to suffer from this myself, but found that by changing my diet up slightly and taking a few things regularly I got great results.

I drank a ton of Kombucha that a friend I know makes himself, so it has all the probiotics in it still (since they take that out of the stuff sold in stores since it can't be alcoholic); Kombucha is great for helping with digestive issues, providing natural energy, and other stuff as well.

I also started drinking clay on a regular basis! The company I work for sells vegan, paraben-free, cruelty-free health and beauty products made from an amazing EDIBLE clay. The clay is odorless, flavorless, and can be mixed with any type of liquid (water, juice, coffee, even oatmeal) so that you don't even notice it's there. The clay internally detoxifies your intestines and colon, is highly alkaline so that it actually lowers your bodies pH levels and balances them out.

I drank this special clay regularly for 3 months (along with a lot of Kombucha and my adjusted diet) and I was literally cured in 3 months! Check out the clay at http://www.miracleclay.net/magento/h...ite-12-oz.html if you are interested in doing an internal detox that is non-invasive (i.e. colonic).

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
You could try sage leaf or ginger, both are good for indigestion, sage leaf cleared up some indigestion problems that i was having several years ago.

This may not be the sort of information that you were hoping for, but i hope that it still helps.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Try eating smaller meals throughout the day. Eating large quantities of foods you aren't used to could be contributing. I wouldn't rule out a medical problem - you really ought to talk to a doctor if this keeps happening.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Try eating smaller meals throughout the day. Eating large quantities of foods you aren't used to could be contributing. I wouldn't rule out a medical problem - you really ought to talk to a doctor if this keeps happening.
I totally agree. If the problem persists for more than 10 days, do see your MD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.