VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this may be too much information, but i dont know what to do, so ill ask lol

i switched to vegan from vegetarian last week and have been very strict so far. i feel great but i am having some stomach pains that im kinda concerned about. i wasn't eating vegetarian for very long before changing to vegan, only a month and a half, but i feel like the detoxing that is coming with a much higher intake of fresh fruits and veggies is making me really bloated and giving me a lot of (really stinky) gas.

did this happen to anybody else when they went vegan, and is it normal? if so, when can i expect it to end lol

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Make sure all of the sweet fruits you eat have digested before you eat starchy vegetables and high-fat foods like avocado.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i usually eat my sweeter fruits by themselves or after all the starches as a desert. it doesnt seem to matter for my body it just keeps happening. i think im going to start taking in more psyllium and see if that helps move some of that excess waste out.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
well, yeah, the sweet fruit will ferment if your starches haven't digested yet. eat fruit on an empty stomach.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philvenema View Post

i usually eat my sweeter fruits by themselves or after all the starches as a desert. it doesnt seem to matter for my body it just keeps happening. i think im going to start taking in more psyllium and see if that helps move some of that excess waste out.
More fiber will probably just make you more bloated if you're not used to it. Try eating more cooked foods if you aren't used to eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Increase your amount of fiber slowly -- this might mean eating some refined grains while you adjust. Combining foods should not be a problem -- I eat fruits, veggies, beans, and grains at the same meals all the time without any problems.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it just yet. When I started eating a plant based diet with no dairy, I had some wicked gas and bloating. I was shocked that I was eating 50 grams of fiber a day and everyone on here said it was fine. I am no longer gassy, but canned beans still kill me and that is after rinsing them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is getting better every day, and the more the stomach pain goes away the better i feel!! i def made a good decision

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
That happened to me when I first went vegan. Yeah, I'm sure an increase in fiber that your body is not used to would do it. It eventually settles down though
It's just a little uncomfortable for a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts