VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing advise..... I have only been a vegetarian for about 2 weeks so I am still trying to figure out my diet. I can tell I am doing something wrong because all of my energy is gone. I try to eat complex carbs and iron (that is what I am lacking) but the cafeteria food doesn't supply that. I end up eating a salad with iceburg lettece, which is the only lettece they have. Is that helping me at all? My mom is trying to help, but our house isn't packed with veggies and whole grains either.

What should I do for lunch?

Should I go grocery shopping for myself every week?

What kind of things do I need to buy to get all of the nutrients?

.... I am just so tired of feeling sick

Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Are you eating protein and fat, too? You need to get in good fats, and balance everything. Why don't you post a 'typical' menu and I can help you tweak it?

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Molasses has a lot of iron in it, try that on some bread/toast and as its bitter, I suggest sprinkling on some vegan sugar (which tends to be brown sugars btw).... I need to try that myself actually with sugar, lol. yackie otherwise, hoho....

but its not taste that matters at this stage, as you will learn how to combnie what you need and make it tasty over time....

One thing for calcium apart from greens and whatever else I don't know, is to have a soya milk with it added.

Finally, whatever lack of energy you feel will be in large part due to fairly inevitable transition anxiety, and it doesn't take much thought to realize the big change to being veg will be refocusing your mind, although the main reason for energy rechanneling (etc) will be simply your body (in general here) needs to adjust to extracting energy from different kinds of foods, and until you get your diet sorted, it is only natural to expect some anxiety and some degree of temporary energy imbalance during that process. You understand ? This is my intuition anyway
and may not necessarily apply to all veg newcomers switching diet, etc.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I cannot attest to the validity of the following information. I just did a google search on good sources of iron.

Excellent Sources Good Sources

Enriched breakfast cereals Canned Beans

Cooked beans and lentils Baked potato with skin

Pumpkin seeds Enriched pasta

Blackstrap Molasses Canned asparagus

The absorption of Non-heme iron can be improved when a source of heme iron is consumed in the same meal. In addition, the iron absorption-enhancing foods can also increase the absorption of non-heme iron. While some food items can enhance iron absorption, some can inhibit or interfere iron absorption. Avoid eating them with the iron-rich foods to maximize iron absorption.

Iron absorption enhancers:

Fruits: Orange, Orange Juice, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapefruit etc

Vegetables: Broccoli, brussels sprouts, tomato, tomato juice, potato, green & red peppers

White wine

Iron absorption inhibitors:

Red Wine, Coffee & Tea

Vegetables: Spinach, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and sweet potato

Whole grains and bran

Soy products

http://www.healthcastle.com/printmypage.php

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! ... and Laurie if I am still have diet troubles I will send you my diet. I am going to try these things first.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
we need to know what you are currently eating to offer advice.

also, I would imagine that the number one cause of lethargy would be calorie-defficiency.

ebola

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I think the best thing for improving energy is to increase fruit/vegetable intake, especially raw fruits and veggies. Eat a salad with mixed greens, dried fruits, and nuts with dinner. Snack on fresh fruit. Make a fruit smoothie for breakfast. When I have a smoothie for breakfast, I have energy that won't quit!

My smoothie "formula":

1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango, peaches, anything!)

1 ripe banana

1 Tbsp ground flaxseed

1 cup soy milk or almond milk

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleXeiba View Post

Needing advise..... I have only been a vegetarian for about 2 weeks so I am still trying to figure out my diet. I can tell I am doing something wrong because all of my energy is gone. I try to eat complex carbs and iron (that is what I am lacking) but the cafeteria food doesn't supply that. I end up eating a salad with iceburg lettece, which is the only lettece they have. Is that helping me at all? My mom is trying to help, but our house isn't packed with veggies and whole grains either.

What should I do for lunch?

Should I go grocery shopping for myself every week?

What kind of things do I need to buy to get all of the nutrients?

.... I am just so tired of feeling sick

Thanks
When I went veg, the opposite happened to me. Immedately, I felt amazing! You should eat what you did as a meat eater, but use meat substitutes instead. Morningstar Farms (MF) and Boca are great brands! Don't be afraid to try them, they're delicious!

Iceberg lettuce isn't very nutritional. You need more veggies in your day than that. When you go to the store, try some of these things:

~Bags of salad (spring mix, baby spinach, or other healthy choices)

~Faux Burgers (Boca and Morningstar Farm Grillers are good!)

~Faux Corn dogs (MF, soooo good)

~Precut fruit (Most stores have this. Convenience will encourage you to eat it)

~Apples, Oranges, Bananas, baby carrots, kiwi, etc.

~Oatmeal (very filling and healthy!)

~Whole grain bread

~Faux deli meats (tofurkey is pretty good!)

~LeanCuisine cheese ravioli and fettucini alfredo

Hope that list helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you getting enough B12 and Niacin? I'm a vegan so as you can imagine I don't get too much of that, and I'm ALWAYS tired. But I started taking a supplement of both, and they seem to be helping. Also taking a vitamin E supplement may help too. You can get vegetarian ones at a health food store.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
>>You should eat what you did as a meat eater, but use meat substitutes instead.>>

I think this is a pretty bad idea, as a lot of former omnivores would thus end up eating meat analogues for the majority of their calories, missing out on nutrient-dense whole foods.

ebola

1 - 12 of 12 Posts