VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with my fi. She has taken one of our cats to the vet for some blood-work. Over a month ago he started throwing up several times a day. The vets couldnt figure out what was wrong with him. They tried numerous things, and it wasnt until the very last one they tried that they found something that worked. He started getting better, and seemed to be on the mend. His vomiting stopped, and he started eating and playing again. Then a week or so ago his health started slipping once more. He spends most of his time sleeping, and I can barely get a purr out of him. He is the sweetest little guy I have ever met, and he loves everyone like crazy. Whats really sad is he hasnt even had a long life yet, hes barely two years of age.

We should be getting the results from the blood-work in a few hours. We are crossing our fingers that the illness is curable. I dont what I would do with myself if we lost him. My cats are like children to me, and I love them as such. Its taking all of my will power not to burst into tears right in the middle of my office right now. I would just like to ask everyone to pray, or to do whatever you do, that my little sweety will be ok. His name is Shamus.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
aww.

my fingers are crossed for you, hopefully everything will turn out fine. maybe it's just an ingested hairball

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind support everyone. We just got a call from the vet. It looks like the problem might be in his liver. Since he was last at the vets, his red blood cell count has dropped by about 50%. They are going to keep him for a few days, and try some medication. If that doesnt work, they may have to do a biopsy. The vet said that in his current state, he might not survive the surgery.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your cat's health Shamus. Just stay positive and think about the happy moments you have had and will have with your pet.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
sorry to hear that. but i agree, you gotta stay positive, the meds might help afterall or they could find something else to help, try not to worry too much until you know for sure one way or another k?

·
Registered
0 Posts
None of my cats have ever had any kind of liver problems, so I don't know much about the subject. I went online to learn a little more, and there's a lot of different things it could be. But Shamus, the bottom line is this quote that I'm copying from an online article:

Liver disease is always serious. However, a lot of diseases that affect the liver can be controlled and cats can lead a life of good quality with the support of drugs and proper nutrition. ... bearing in mind the reserve and regeneration capacity of the liver, it is important to give the liver patient enough time to recover.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My heart goes out to you, Shamus. Just remember that no matter what happens, you loved him and gave him a wonderful home and life. Keep us updated and stay strong.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all the wonderful thoughts everyone, I greatly appreciate it. I found out a few more things from the vet after I got home from work. If the problem is with his liver (based on the tests done so far), the vet said there are three main things that could be the problem. While I dont remember the terms the vet used, I do remember that the first two things are treatable with antibiotics and another kind of drug, and the last one is cancerous. The vet seems to the think that the previous illness Shamus had, and this one, are linked. With his last illness we gave him antibiotics, and his health greatly improved (to the point that he was almost completely better). Im holding out hope that the illnesses are linked, and that antibiotics will have the same effect on him this time. The vet is hoping that Shamus will have enough strength tomorrow for more blood-work. That will hopefully give us a clearer idea of what is wrong. Ill let you guys know when I find out. Thanks for being there.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Lord, give the vet wisdom and medical brilliance to heal little Shamus. Create in him a new liver if necessary. Give him strength for the battle to get well. If it is cancer, then Lord, I ask that you remove and transform every cell in that little body to perfect normal cells. You made this little guy, and I know You do care what happens to everyone of your creations. Heal him, Lord. I ask this in the name of Jesus. Amen.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts