VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been attempting to become a total vegetarian again. My goal is to be vegan eventually. I have cut out all meat for the last month except fish at the moment. I'm having a difficult time becoming a complete vegetarian. I travel for work. Sometimes for 3 wks straight. At times my schedule has been so hectic that I only have time to eat in airports and hotels. I've been in some airports where even the salads all have meat. The best I can get is cheese pizza, fruit or yogurt. Does anyone else live this sort of lifestyle on a Vegan Diet? How do you do it? I've tried a few times to get fish out of my diet but sometimes feel like i'm in situations where i don't have much choice. I'm already under weight and eating just fruit and nuts just isn't a good idea for me. Maybe i'm just not being disciplined enough....

I wish airports and hotels would cater to more vegetarians.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Hmmmmm... It seems that the key here would be to find that little slot of time -- if it exists -- in which you can buy or put together "airport meals" that you can grab and take with you on the plane to eat during layovers. It would need to items that survive well without refrigeration. Me thinks you're going to find yourself eating whole grain crackers with nut butters, snap peas, carrots, and fruit a lot. While this does not sound like the ideal diet, it would still be better than the pack of peanut butter crackers you would settle for from the magazine store.

Also, don't stress. Oftentimes, the idea behind veganism is to cause the least cruelty possible. Although it would not always be vegan or vegetarian, try to choose the "least cruel" option available. On those extra long layovers, you might be lucky enough to be able to talk to a manager, or find a place where everything isn't already made. In a hurry and famished? Everything's premade? You may be forced into a meat item if you're on constant travel.

There's got to be a way to find out online what restaurants airports have -- and perhaps what they offer. I know the Denver airport actually has some alright options. You can get vegetable spring rolls there and a lot of noodle items that I seem to recall being vegetarian.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Just to add to what froggythefrog said, I would think that complaining to the airports and restaurants in them might help. Make a note of what restaurants are in the airports, especially the ones where you'd hope to find something vegetarian, and write them an email after the fact to let them know. If they don't realize there's a problem, they won't fix it. If we all complain about the problem, they'll get enough complaints that they'll pay attention.

--Fromper

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not sure what airports you are flying out of (how big they are or what the selection is and how much time you have on layovers) but you might try checking out the menus when you aren't trying to eat and see if any place has a veggie wrap or ask if you can get a salad without meat.

Also see if you see a massage place anywhere check them out for solutions. I know the local airport has one and they have a selection of veggie chips, fruit leather, power bars, etc.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I don't fly for work like you do, but usually do end up taking 2 - 3 flights a year...

I look the airport up online to see what options are available, so far every airport I've been in has several vegan options and usually the restaurants and foods are listed some place on the Web.

It isn't always easy but can be done, depending on if you have time to order a sit-down meal or are relying on snacks because of time constraints.

Look for mexican restaurants - they will almost always make a bean burrito - no cheese - for you (Check if the beans have lard, but this is less and less common any more). You may have to go in and sit down but service is usually pretty speedy.

Bagel shops often offer hummus as a bagel spread, along with veggies.

Sandwich shops usually have veggie sandwiches with hummus or guacamole and tons of veggies - with or without cheese. You may have to wait for them to make one for you, but usually they're walk-up-counters where the wait isn't too long...

Cereal and milk (often granola) are usually an option at most places, if you're vegan, individual-serving-size aseptic boxes of soymilk are super-easy to carry along, for cereal, coffee, etc..

Chinese/Thai/Asian places usually have veggie-noodle dishes or spring rolls or sometimes stir-fry combinations that you can choose from.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm sorry you're having a hard time finding veggie/vegan food at hotels and airports. It's a pity - whereabouts do you live? Here, (England), most places offer a lot of veggie options, which is why I worry about going abroad sometimes (you never know what the country's stance on veg*nism will be and how many veggie options there are.) I agree with Fromper, complaining could be a good idea, if enough people do it they might do something about it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Pack a few clif bars in your bag to tide you over if you can't stomach airport food. I used to travel a LOT for work, and usually found something in airports, even if it was just a bagel. Bags of crackers or nuts work, and you can almost always find a deli that has fruit salad or fruit cups or something.

But really, it would behoove you to pack something.

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
I constantly travel for work and have done so for years now. I eat more meals in restaurants/hotels than at home. I am always on the road and I'm vegan. Its not a problem for me at all. The trick? Planning! Know what your options are for every place you are spending time at. Hotel restaurants are usually the worse place to eat so go to a nearby restaurant instead. Ask the concierge to find a vegan-friendly restaurant for you. Use the internet to find vegan friendly places to eat at your destinations. Make a list of veggie friendly places by your hotels and places of work. Its not hard. When you are booking your tickets, spend an extra 15 minutes looking up suitable restaurants in the area.

Same with airports: they are terrible places to find food so I don't eat there. Eat before you go or afterwards. Get up a little earlier and have a big breakfast or lunch before your flight at a restaurant. Again, its all about the planning.

If you're leading a hectic lifestyle than perhaps you need to look into time management in order to gain control enough to figure food planning into your day. Feeding yourself good food is the most important thing you can do for yourself so it must take a higher priority than it seems to be now.

If I can do it so can you.

·
Registered
912 Posts
You might not be able to carry your own soymilk these days, at least in the states. TSA has been cracking down on liquids of any kind. If your own water or toothpaste is suspect, I'd think twice about the soymilk.

(My mom likes orange juice on her granola - I haven't been brave enough to try it, though.)

I'm a vegetarian who usually tries to avoid going overboard on cheese/milk. I don't travel often, but when I do I plan. I pack a sandwich and some fruit/veggies when I fly out, I look for grocery stores when I travel, and the concierges in large hotels are generally great at pointing to good restaurants. A bagel with PB for breakfast is great. Look for ethnic restaurants (I found a good Armenian restaurant in Chicago that has a very good vegetarian platter), remember that Subway and Taco Bell work in a pinch. Most airports are terrible, but O'Hare has a few decent places where you can at least get a vegan trail mix, and the Einstein Bros. Bagel place at the Detroit airport has a very good veggie sandwich. A good trail mix in your carry on will tide you over, too.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I've taken soymilk on flights in those small sealed aseptic boxes. (Like juice boxes).

The last time, I *think* the security guy thought it was baby formula though (I overheard them talking after I went though security)... odd since I wasn't traveling with a baby.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I travel a lot for work (sometimes 6 or 7 weeks in a row) and find that the key is packing snacks. Kashi bars, trail mix, nuts, fruit leather. Airports can be a challenge, but if you pack some snacks and eat before leaving home they are definitely manageable. I often don't have much of a choice where I eat on the road since I frequently eat with clients and my superiors. Short of eating at a hot dog stand. I have not found many places where I can't eat. It might mean eating a baked potato for lunch or grilled cheese twice a week, but it is definitely possible. Another good option is going to a local grocery store in the town that you are visiting. Even in a small town you can find quite a few quick options at a local grocery store. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I look the airport up online to see what options are available, so far every airport I've been in has several vegan options and usually the restaurants and foods are listed some place on the Web.
I connected through the Minneapolis airport last year, and was startled to come across a small tex-mex kiosk that advertised *two* vegan burritos. I bought one to support them having an option, even though I wasn't hungry.

Quote:
Sandwich shops usually have veggie sandwiches with hummus or guacamole and tons of veggies - with or without cheese. You may have to wait for them to make one for you, but usually they're walk-up-counters where the wait isn't too long...
I've gone this route a number of times. On occasion I've been stuck with a bagel instead of edible bread, but it was something. Something else to look for are soft pretzels -- I see them fairly often in airports, and they're great with mustard

Quote:
Chinese/Thai/Asian places usually have veggie-noodle dishes or spring rolls or sometimes stir-fry combinations that you can choose from.
Chicken stock unfortunately abounds, but in a crunch, it's at least close.

·
Registered
64 Posts
note-I'm assuming you do most of your flying in the states.

Try looking around for a starbucks or something like it- I don't think I've been to an airport anywhere in the world without a coffee shop/ cafe. And most airports with connecting flights will have an actual real live starbucks- with veg options sometimes marked. It's better than starving. Also, look around ('specially on longer layovers) for mexican or tex-mex places. There's one in terminal c (I think-right when you come off the bus) at IAD with options clearly marked, and way at the end of I think it's terminal 4 at LAX. Chicago's a feast- chili's w/ veg burgers, huge (to go) salads, chips and salsa, fresh fruit to go; starbucks for b-fast and snacks; vendors selling dehydrated fruit (united terminal); bagel shops; or if you're there for a really long time, a hilton right next door, and a whole city a short train ride away. I even found *something* at newark.

Heck, some of the gift shops sell fresh fruit. You just have to get creative and look around.

Hotels can be more difficult, depending on the level of service offered- at a super 8 you're best just asking where the nearest grocery store is, and having the deli make you a veggie sammich. High quality hotels will either know where you can eat (or find out for you), or sometimes have off menu items at the in house restaurants and roomservice- just like nicer places everywhere. The places in between? Ask and hope.

Or you could always try to get your boss to put you up in residential style hotels, where you have a fridge and microwave and maybe a burner or two.

If all else fails, and you are trapped in the meat-eating city/ town from points south, don't worry- as long as you're in the states, I'm sure there's a supermarket/ taco bell around somewhere....

j.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Starbucks? What the heck?

I'm living smack in the middle of Starbucks country and they have soymilk for thir coffee drinks but NONE of their pastries are ever vegan...

I guess if you're lacto-ovo they might be an option.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I've often found smoothie places in airports. They can usually make all most of their smoothies dairy free, and many of them have vegan protein powder (soy instead of whey). I've also found the smoothie places have vegetable wraps too.

Airports can suck, but like everyone said, if you bring a snack or two along, you should be able to find something to supplement those with.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Friendly View Post

I travel a lot for work (sometimes 6 or 7 weeks in a row) and find that the key is packing snacks. Kashi bars, trail mix, nuts, fruit leather. Airports can be a challenge, but if you pack some snacks and eat before leaving home they are definitely manageable. I often don't have much of a choice where I eat on the road since I frequently eat with clients and my superiors. Short of eating at a hot dog stand. I have not found many places where I can't eat. It might mean eating a baked potato for lunch or grilled cheese twice a week, but it is definitely possible. Another good option is going to a local grocery store in the town that you are visiting. Even in a small town you can find quite a few quick options at a local grocery store. Best of luck!
Well said.... I travel extensively and it is hard, but "do-able". you definitely have to plan for it and go equipped. I also typically call ahead to restaurants to have an idea of what i can eat prior to arriving - or if they are accomodating enough to prepare something simple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really appreciate alll of the help and support I am getting from this website. All of the feedback has helped me a great deal. I realize my problem is discipline. I can make it work if I plan things better. I tend to be stressed out and always on the run in my life. I'm sure as time passes and I educate myself further, I will have an easier time. I will NEVER eat meat again in my life. eventually I am going to be vegan as well. i'm too deeply disturbed by the thought of eating meat that even if it's difficult, I will learn a way to keep it out of my diet for good. Now I know what to do, thank u!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.