VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend is pregnant and this is such great news because she's had a horrible year with the passing of her mom and she has to put her dog to sleep tomorrow. It's nice that she finally has some much deserved joy in her life. So...i'm going to throw her a baby shower. I'd like to have it at the botanical gardens in her area (Indianapolis) where her mom has a bench in honor of her passing (they're going to be spreading her ashes there on christmas eve).

If you've thrown a shower, how much did it cost? This shower will most likely be coed and from what i can tell it will consist of 25-30 people. I don't have a lot of money so I'm kind of concerned. Did your event include a full meal? I don't have to worry about alcohol since the mom can't have any. I don't know. I'd just like some ideas!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Most of the myriad of baby showers I've been to (the women in my life are quite prolific) had a simple lunch of sandwiches, chips and cake. Sliced veggies, sometimes. It wasn't all that expensive. I've only been to one co-ed shower, much to my dismay, because women don't make babies alone. I get so sick of the typical "match the celebrity with their baby" games.

Gift bingo was kind of fun because it involved actual strategy. Before the parents opens the presents, each guest writes items on a bingo card that they think the couple will get. As the presents are opened, guests mark off that square or squares on the card. I think there were some hokey little prizes for the first few people to complete a line. You can adjust it however you like.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

I've thrown a baby. does that count?
And I've been to a shower, so it seems this thread has everything that it needs.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frigging purrpelle

skylark...i didn't even think about games. i don't think mom would be down for that type of stuff tho i did tell her i'd wrap a bow around her head when the time comes.

so maybe i can have some type of buffet for eating time...then a gift opening period. Is 3 hours enough time or too long?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also, mom has celiac spru so planning the menu will be interesting.

and she's veg, yay!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
It depends on how punctual people are, how long they take to eat, how fast the parents open the presents, and how many presents there are. Figure that out, and you should be able to figure out how much time you need. The last one I went to was about three hours, and that included games.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The baby showers I have been to have been either a light meal or just desserts. At my two showers one thing I loved was everyone wrote down a baby blessing on pretty paper. There are lots of fun baby games that aren't too fufu and everyone will have fun. The bingo game sounds fun. I have done a people search , 2 Lies 1 truth, the guess the food (all veggie of course), guess the birth date and others. I think the most wonderful thing about a baby shower is the celebration of the new baby to come and anything that does that is perfect.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I threw a baby shower for a girl at work, and we didn't play any games. It lasted about 2/12 hours and we did it as a potluck. It was a lot of sitting around chatting and opening gifts.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Most of the baby showers I've been to have been about 2-3 hours long, and have usually been hosted in someone's home (though I like your idea of the botanical gardens). Food has been the basic hors d'oevres plus cake and punch. I agree that the gift bingo game is the most fun. My guess is that renting the space or paying whatever fees you need to use the botanical gardens is going to increase your costs - otherwise my impression is that they aren't that expensive to throw (the gifts, on the other hand...)

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
good god woman! a full meal?

all of the baby showers that i've hostessed have been very simple affiars. i've had them in my home, mostly, and i've had beverages (iced tea, water, and lemonade), cake, and some finger foods (veggies and dip, nuts, etc). I put up a few simple decorations (a bouquet of flowers, a few balloons), and we mostly sit and chat, open presents, and enjoy cake.

The most i've ever spent for a baby shower was $100! most of that is cake, food, and beverages. i probably spend about $15 on decorations.

Now, if you're doing it at the botanical gardens, you might have to pay a rental fee. I recommend beverages, cake, and finger foods. I recommend a couple of simple decorations such as balloons. Other than the rental fee for the garden space, the rest should cost about $170 since you're doubling my average party size (i tend to have 12-15 at a party).

muttering to myself. . . .sit down dinner!

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol Zoe. Hey, I don't know! dinner...snacks lol. I'm glad to hear a sit down meal wont be expected. As stated, the gardens would be nice if it could be the gardens where her mom's bench is. I thought about trying to get some tables and food right near the bench but that's probably over the top but i'm not sure. also, i'm in boston and she's in indiana. so there's added expence for me there. What's really cute is that she and her DH got pregnant while throwing a wedding shower for me here in boston lol.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you think it would be rude/wrong/etc to throw this thing at her house? Or should i definately rent a space?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
uhm, i think that you could ask her if you can hostess at her house. she might actually prefer it.

or, if you want to do the thing at the gardens, just call the garden and ask if you could use the space by that bench particularly. it's likely that they'll have a table for you there that they can put out for you, including linens, and that you'll be able to bring food in no problem. I find it really simple to get those veggie trays from the grocery store or cost co (ok, it's not organic, but it's cheap and easy). i typically will make my own dip though (the stuff that comes with is pretty nasty). i order a cake from a cake shop usually, which is why it tends to be expensive, but you can get sheet cakes from cake shops too which is easy enough.

either way is fine, i'm sure. baby showers tend to be pretty low-key affairs. unless you're a celebrity or super wealthy. otherwise, they're low key.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

uhm, i think that you could ask her if you can hostess at her house. she might actually prefer it.

or, if you want to do the thing at the gardens, just call the garden and ask if you could use the space by that bench particularly. it's likely that they'll have a table for you there that they can put out for you, including linens, and that you'll be able to bring food in no problem. I find it really simple to get those veggie trays from the grocery store or cost co (ok, it's not organic, but it's cheap and easy). i typically will make my own dip though (the stuff that comes with is pretty nasty). i order a cake from a cake shop usually, which is why it tends to be expensive, but you can get sheet cakes from cake shops too which is easy enough.

either way is fine, i'm sure. baby showers tend to be pretty low-key affairs. unless you're a celebrity or super wealthy. otherwise, they're low key.
i tried to call the gardens yesterday, which is actually at a uni but didn't have much luck. They used to hold wedding receptions but no longer do that so i hope this type of event will be ok. i'm gonna try and call them again today. i'm not sure where the bench is and i don't want to ask her about it yet as it's a little early (she's only a month pregnant) plus she hasn't spread the ashes yet to so i'm worried about putting too much on her emotional plate right now.

I will have to get her a specialty cake any way because she has celiac. I'll have to be mindful of all the food because her symptons arise with the smallest exposure.

Also, the way it's looking is that i'll have to have this shower around my wedding which is in late june. I'd like to do it in early june...maybe late may but she's a school teacher and her classes get out in late may so it might be crunch time for her. She's due in august but i think july is cutting it close.

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
I think the food part depends on what time you will be hosting the shower. Is it durring or inbetween a meal time? If it's durring normal lunch or dinner hours then the food should be a little more substantial but if it's at brunch or before dinner then finger foods should be good. The showers I have attended had things like fruit salad, raw veggie platter with dip (onion/hummus), cookies, chips, tea sandwiches, meat/cheese platter, and of course a cake. Also, since she is veg*n as well, will you be serving veg*n-only fare? I am unfamilar with what celiac is and what diet she must follow.

The botanical garden sounds beautiful!! I am sorry if you already said this but would tables, chairs, and dishes be included in the rental cost? Or will you need to supply your own?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang~Ten~Honey View Post

I think the food part depends on what time you will be hosting the shower. Is it durring or inbetween a meal time? If it's durring normal lunch or dinner hours then the food should be a little more substantial but if it's at brunch or before dinner then finger foods should be good. The showers I have attended had things like fruit salad, raw veggie platter with dip (onion/hummus), cookies, chips, tea sandwiches, meat/cheese platter, and of course a cake. Also, since she is veg*n as well, will you be serving veg*n-only fare? I am unfamilar with what celiac is and what diet she must follow.
I think it will be either a brunch or 2-5pm so i can avoid actual meals. The shower she threw for me earlier this month only had finger foods but it was more than enough and everyone loved it. Celiac is a allergy to gluten. It's more than an allergy really as she has serious respiratory issues from it and damaged villi. She mostly eats rice based products and some soy.

Quote:
The botanical garden sounds beautiful!! I am sorry if you already said this but would tables, chairs, and dishes be included in the rental cost? Or will you need to supply your own?
I don't know. I have to find out and i still haven't called. I only want to spend between 3-400 dollars. 200 would be better.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Gaya - the advantage of having it at her house (and you doing the cleaning-up afterwards) is that she doesn't have to haul all the gifts home. Or, if she has relatives in the area, maybe you can go in with them and do a shower in one of their homes.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I have never, ever been to a baby shower. Is that weird? From tv, it looks like they just sit around, eat snacks, and open presents. And gossip. I don't think you need a full meal.

I actually do have a point for posting here, though.
You said she likes rice based snacks. What about rice balls? Or roll-your-own veg sushi?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts