VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm part of a small publishing project called Writers For Animals. Our book of the same name will be launched in May 2012 to raise funds for animal rescues. Would you like to contribute?

Wanted: True-life stories about animals who've touched people's hearts, and the people who help them. Plus fiction stories for (mostly British) adults and teenagers that have some kind of animal theme.

NOT wanted: children's stories, poetry, essays, opening chapters of novels, stories that promote animal exploitation (e.g. by zoos, farming, the pet trade etc.) or sexually-explicit content. Email writersforanimals at live.co.uk for more info and submission instructions.

The closing date is 31st March 2012, though we recommend you get your stories in long before that, so we have a chance to advise you if editing and polishing is needed. Not all contributions will be published, as we need a a good variety of quality stories. No payment, as this is a fund-raiser.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Very well, I shall go about meeting some animals so that I may partake in this merry festivity.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea Pig View Post

You could always write a story with veggie human characters, instead?
I don't know any vegetarian in real life.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
This forum is not weird at all, it's just it's inhabitants who are totally weird ^^ (actually i've been on quiet a lot of different forums and i think that the less weird was a hacking one... i should publish some sociology paper on the subject bwahahahaha - the relative weirdness of forums by subject, is forums weirdness representative of the weirdness of the concerned population - something like that ^^ )

Anyway yeah, welcome and i will pass the message to a whole bunch of people, i can perhaps wrote a little something myself if i have time. I recommend to post your message in different animal rights / vegetarian / vegan / animals / rescue facebook groups, yahoo groups, google groups, mailing lists, and places dedicated to first time writers, you can probably also establish some relation with a lot of schools, wich would be awesome.

Nice project, have fun and good luck, thanks for taking care of those who are in need ^^

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea Pig View Post

Is this forum a bit weird, or have I just got off to a bad start with this thread?
Nah, we're just animals who have fun. Good luck with the project.

Also, I'm confused. I started Googling "Writers for Animals". Besides the fact that you need a website, in your original post, it says no children's stories, but a comment made on Facebook on December 7 said that results of a "Potential Publisher Survey... indicated a strong demand for children's stories...". What the hey hey?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I have put the word out quite widely on writer's websites and also AR groups, but I'm not on Facebook so I'm relying on others to post it on there.

Re. children's stories - The plan was originally to set up a small publisher (as a limited company or worker co-op) to publish novels, but the survey showed insufficient demand. We were never interested in bringing out children's novels or true-life biographical books. We concluded that setting up a full-scale publisher was too financially risky as there was insufficient demand for novels. So the Idea was dropped for now.

This short story compilation book is a separate project that a small group of us will publish. (A book of short stories is much easier to market than a novel by an unknown writer). If it's popular, we'll follow it with a book of children's stories. We cannot mix both adult and children's stories in the same book, as it is a logistical nightmare; some of the adult stories would have to be really dumbed down and censored and the children's stories would have to be mature and interesting enough to appeal to adults. So they need to be different books.

Does this explain?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts