VeggieBoards banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Skylark- I think the woman that said that about fertility was a crazy lady. LOL. There are plenty of pregnant vegetarian and vegan women out there. I'm sure there are some women here who can attest to that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, a doctor ordered me to begin eating meat again. I refused and told her my eating habits are healthy and my tests prove it-good protein levels etc. I had no deficiencies yet she ordered me to eat it. Anyways, I did not listen to her ignorant order and never went back to her.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
wow someone there was mixed up. lack of folic acid won't make you infertile as far as i'm aware. just that folic acid promotes healthy brain development, if a mother were really deficient the baby would be more likely to be born with illness or developmental problems. but folic acid is found in citrus fruit, so i don't see what it has to do with eating meat

heh remember years ago when heart attack patients were simply told to cut back on salt? wtf?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
being vegetarian or vegan doesn't equal healthy..

if the doctor had some basis for saying this, i.e. iron deficiency or something he may have thought it would be easier or more likely your needs would be met this way.

i've met some pretty unhealthy vegetarians..

but i agree that he also couldd have suggested what vitamins would make the situation better...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Baby

Most doctors get less then four hours of nutritional education in med school. Western doctors know how to treat trauma and pain management (with a lot of support from the pharmaseutical industry). In fact, I see them as little more than drug pushers. Many seem almost offended by the preventive medicines and healthy lifestyles that promote independence from disease. Do you realize much of what they learn and research in med school is funded by pharmaseuticals? A lot of their post med school education comes from cheesy little sales men dropping off literature and free samples, taking them to lunch, or round of golf. Pharmaseuticals promise doctors things like white paper credit if they sign up x amount of people in slanted studies showing favorable results of whatever pill their trying to promote. Vegetarians and people promoting healthier lifestyles don't have products to push, or the funding to lobby, or profit from. Big money gets to dictate who the voice of authority is in this country (and most of the world), no matter how illogical and damaging the results.

When's the last time you've met a healthy, fit doctor who didn't embrace self empowerment and alternative medicine? Why would anyone let an overweight, grey skinned, alcohol bloated, power hungry person tell them how to live?

I have very little respect for registered dietitians as well. It is mind blowing how little they know about the science of food. It's like an artist who believes only three colors exist. Have you ever seen the menus they offer in hospitals. It's as if they all agreed to wear blinders, it's insane.

Do you know that their are hundreds of thousands of people who die in a hospital every year from mal nurishment, over prescribed drugs and medical mal practice. The leading cause of death in a hospital is infection. Is that gross or what?

When my father had a stroke a few years ago, I watched his doctor stand over him while a tray of food was delivered to him. It had coffee, a glass of milk, chicken in a cream sauce, carrots that had been boiled for about 30 minutes, a roll with butter, and mashed potatoes. For dessert they served chocolate cake. I yanked the hunched over doctor out of the room and ask how he could allow such crap to served to a man in my fathers condition. He had no problem with it. I told him he needs to go back to school, or give up his practice because his ignorance is a violation to the oath he once took. I just happened to be doing a documentary on heart disease at the time, so my brain was loaded with current research on the effects that dairy and acidic foods like meat, coffee and sugar have on constricting ateries, and how sluggish blood flows when there is nothing to hydrate you. Everthing thing on his tray, caffiene, sugar, meat, dairy and refined carbs promotes heart disease and stroke (and countless other problems). The doctor said the hospital has to feed the patients what they like. I told him it wasn't a godamn hotel, and just because someone likes the taste of poison is no reason to give it to them.

My mother was so worried that the doctor was going to give my father lousy treatment after that augument, but it wasn't as if he had done anything other than look at his chart and tell my mother mother my dad was going die soon anyway. My mom later told me you could hear us fighting down the hall.

The next day at the doctors insistance, my dad was transfered to a much better hospital in Boston. He was able to recieve Hypervaric Oxygen which helps stop the brain cells from dying, and promotes better brain function. It actually stops the brain from dying when recieved early enough. It's a relatively new and a very expensive treatment. The first doctor had dismissed it when I suggested he should take a more pro-active approach rather then just letting my dad lay there on bloodthinners.

My dad has changed his diet dramatically though he is not a veggie, he says he wouldn't mind never eating another piece of meat. But, my moms the one who can't reconcile life without meat. she is very into authority figures like, priest, doctors, and politicians.

She said she saw my dads old doctor and tried to apoligize for my behavior, but he told her I probably saved my dads life.
Excellent post!!!!

I know of two cases of people who were prescribed anti-cholesterol drugs and the morons they had for doctors didn't even tell them to give up dairy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Fortunately, I have never had a doctor tell me that my veganism was going to cause me health problems. Usually, though, I don't tell them until AFTER my yearly bloodwork is done and they start barraging me with questions about how I get my folate and iron levels so high if I don't take multivitamins. Then I tell them how I eat and they agree that it must be doing my body good.

But, I just have to point out that doctors are not so far off when they DON'T tell people to treat high cholesterol via cutting out meat and dairy. I have high cholesterol, despite eating a low fat, whole grain centered vegan diet. Fortunately it's not high enough to require meds, and it should be treatable by overcoming my years of laziness. There's a whole lotta factors that go into these types of conditions, and we can't just assume that changing one's diet with solve everything.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have a younger (30ish) female doctor I like. She takes the initiative to be concerned about what I eat (no one else ever really asked). She asks questions like "how much calcium are you getting?", not "do you eat (not) eat this/that?" From my answers you could glean that I'm a veg, but she just asks and makes recommendation about specific nutrients.

At the hospital where I work, the food is amazing. The cafeteria is immaculate and better than any restaurant. There are always at least 12 -14 vegetable dishes to select from, tons of fruit, etc. You see thinks like turkey veggie on a spinach wrap in the meat dept, NOT salsbury steak in grey gravy. They charge by the lbs and you just fill your plate up with whatever fresh food you care for. Of course they are also one of the top cardiac facilities in the nation

·
Registered
392 Posts
My last two doctors were supportive of my vegetarianism. Well, the one who saw me for several years in high school made no comments one way or the other, just noting it on her chart and saying it couldn't be causing my problem (excess stomach acid).

The doctor I have begun seeing recently asked if I had any particular dietary restrictions and when I said "I'm a vegetarian," she said "excellent!" That was nice to hear. Sorry to you who have had bad experiences.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
hi ladyturtle. that is very sad that you had to go through that. i hope you have since found a doctor who is more suited to "your" needs.

baby, i really liked your post. well said!

i just wanted to add that after finding out i was (am) vegan, i had an acupuncturist tell me that i must start to eat eggs. he would not let up with it for quite a while during my session and i was literally fighting with him that no matter what he said, i was NOT going to eat eggs! damn it was frustrating!

also, anyone notice when you take a dog or cat to the vet, they always ask about their diet? it seems sometimes that vets care more about the animals diet than doctors care about humans diet and nutrition.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Veganism as a contraceptive... that's one I haven't heard before.
Please don´t rely on it; maybe the opposite is true (less organophosphates etc.).

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Geeze, with_open_eyes, I had the opposite situation with my acupuncturist. She asked about my diet, and I started going into the things I wouldn't eat. After a couple of seconds, she said, "It sounds like you're a vegetarian. Are you?" and I thought "Ut-oh. Heeerrre it comes...." but said to her "Yes, I am. I'm a vegetarian". She said, "that's the best thing a person can do for themselves" and she started on about the toxsisity (sp) of meat and milk products and how it messes a person up on many levels and all kinds of other things. While she was talking, I was also interjecting with things like "and you can get your protien through plant based foods" or "milk has over 300% mucus-causing agents than the body truely needs". She just stopped and looked at me and said "well, it's obvious that you've done your research on this. Good for you! I wish all my patients were as informed as you are."

That felt really good to hear.

But the "butcher" (I call them that too, luckie) I had before her insisted that diet has no affect on the human body. Hmmm.... and I suppose people develop heart disease by osmosis instead of by consuming trans-fatty acids?
But this is also the same goof that wanted to put me on a string of expensive meds that (surprise) he was getting a kickback fee from. Yea, they have a pretty name for it, but really, that's what it is. A "rebate" for prescribing certain meds to their patients.

Bad doctors...

Good doctors...

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
A while ago I switched doctors. The new doctor was skeptical of my veganism. He explained "you need a more balanced diet. You need to include a source of fat." I had to give him a list of products/foods which I eat that contain the same amount of calories and fat that "omni" foods do before he'd lay off. He finally did lay off, though. Heh. Showed him.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i have a great dr. he wrote me a note for my boss (who thinks that anyone who doesn't eat meat "like god intended") is unhealthy stating that vegetarians are HEALTHY and gave examples. i have a copy that i keep meaning to scan....

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

Please don´t rely on it; maybe the opposite is true (less organophosphates etc.).
LOL... I wasn´t planning on it. I was just laughing at the absurdity of the idea.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts