VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some besan (chickpea flour) just because it was there and I like to try new things. But I don't know what to do with it. Anybody got any good recipes?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
yes. make pakora.

make a batter out of the chickpea flour, oil, and water and salt and spices. roughly chop up whatever veggies or tofu or whatever else you like, dredge them in the batter, and then deep fry them until they are golden. these are so yummy. i have a more exact recipe for them somewhere if you need it.

another one is to mix the chickpea flour with a bit of oil to make it crumbly, then stir enough water to make a pancake-type batter, and toss in onion and chopped tomatoes and garlic and salt and spices and fry it up like pancakes. this is really yummy with a soy yogurt and mango chutney topping. they are called "pudla".

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That's so funny because I just ate some Pekoras and was going to post asking anyone if they had a recipes. The ones I ate had potatoes and spinach in them. Very good. I'd love a recipe Kreeli. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
BUMP!

this thread has been bumped for MollyGoat's benefit. MG, here's a more specific way of making pakora:

first i chop up 2 or 3 cups of veggies, whatever i have on hand, into 1/2 or 1/4" pieces. tonight, for instance, it was an onion, 2 potatoes, and three peeled stalks of broccoli.

then in a bowl i combine about 3 cups of chickpea ("chana") flour, about 2 tsp baking powder, some salt, some whole cumin seeds, and some cayenne pepper and mix well. i rub about 3 tbsp of oil into the flour until it's all mixed in. then i stir in enough water to make it into a medium-thin batter (about the same as pancake batter). then i toss all the chopped veggies in, and stir it up. i also added a couple of handfuls of cashews.

in a deep pot i heat about 4 inches of vegetable oil to 350F. then i drop spoonfuls of the batter-veggie mixture in, and let them deep fry for 3-5 minutes, turn, and deep fry on the other side for 3-5 minutes. then i drain them on paper towels and serve with a tamarind sauce or sweet chutney.

i often just eyeball the batter and taste it to check the saltiness and spiciness, so i can't promise the amounts i gave are exact.

another great thing to make with besan is something called "pudla", which are savory vegetable pancakes.

mix 2 cups of besan with 1 tsp baking powder, some salt and curry powder and cayenne (to taste). i also like to add some whole cumin seeds to this. blend it up nicely. add 4 - 6 tbsp of vegetable oil and sort of rub the oil into the mixture with your fingers until it's evenly distributed. then you can add water or non-dairy milk until it becomes a batter of pancake consistancy. i throw in some chopped green onions and tomates at this point; other finely chopped veggies like spinach or mushrooms would be good too. heat a skillet on medium-high, add a tbsp of oil and let that heat for a moment, then ladle in scoops of the batter and let cook for 3-5 minutes on the first side. flip, and cook for 2-3 minutes on the second side. these are great served with some chutney and soy yogurt.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Thanks so much! Onion pakoras are my special favorite thing about Indian food, but I rarely go out to Indian anymore because it's so hard to find dairy-free food--I'll definitely be trying those recipes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.