VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple months ago, a pair of doves decided to build a next on top of a column on my front porch. the eggs hatched a few days ago, and some horrible crows attacked the nest and killed one of the two babies, and knocked the other out of the nest. we put the surviving one back in the nest, but i found it later on the ground again (i had lined the ground w/ towels in case that would happen). so then i put the bird in a small box by where the nest was, but the mother never came back to it...

so i have this baby dove now - it's several days old and about the size of 2 chicken eggs. it has some feathers on its wings, but not much.

i read on one site that i should feed it crushed cat food w/ a bit of water, and maybe some millet. it's eating a little...but not much...

any tips on how to care for this poor baby dove?

P.S. last year the same thing happened - the same couple of doves built their nest there, and we later found 2 babies on the ground - killed. we couldn't figure out what happened - but this time we say the crows hanging around and going after the mother dove. crows are horrible birds!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
oh that's awful. i'd get them a nesting house where big fat crows can't fit inside. how sad

i don't have any info, but you can get doves as pets so maybe you could call your local pet store and ask for info, or pick up a care book there

·
Registered
152 Posts
i tried to save a dove one time... my cats had gotten it, seemingly while it had been sleeping in it's nest, and unfortunately i was too late for it to recover. but i tried, and told myself atleast i let it die in peace instead of many pieces.

but when i tried to feed that dove... of course the first thing my mom thought was "oh, birds eat worms..." so she got some out of her compost to offer it and was baffled as to why it wasn't interested. i searched online and discovered they're pretty much veggies themselves and tried making amends to the offered meals then.

anyhoo, it being so very young i'm not sure... you should probably mix the catfood and such up in a blender really well to make it the right baby(bird) food consistency. i googled some sites, but they might be the ones you found already. the first one has a recipe and describes how to set up a little feeder cup. also, it mentions some brand of formula so maybe you can buy some at a petstore too.

http://www.diamonddove.com/Q&A/FeedingBabyDoves.html

http://internationaldovesociety.com/Feeding.htm

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the info!

i checked out the sites, and went and bought some baby bird formula today - she is finally eating (alot!) and i've made a feeding tube out of a cut syringe. my boyfriend also had an old birdcage, so i set up a nest for her, and hung it up (out of reach of my cats!) feeding has been quite tedious - as i have to feed her every couple hours and clean her up, but it is, of course, worth it

hopefully, she will be okay...i'll post again when i release her.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
glad she's eating and doing better
will you be trying to help introduce her slowly to the outdoors and help her learn to find food? without a mommy dove she may not know how to fend for herself

it might be tricky, but there's probably loads of info on the net about it

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, i'll probably take her(?) out in a couple days so she can walk around on the grass - i'm a little worried about those crows though. she should be able to eat seed in a week or two (thank goodness! these feedings are like having a human baby!), and she should be able to fly by then too - but i read that they return to the "nest" for a while after that, so i don't know how that is going to work out.

the only thing i'm worried about is that she seems very comfertable with my cats...i keep them away from her, but one snuck into the room while i was feeding her and she didn't mind - not a good thing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts