VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new here, used to just read a lot of the posts but never really contributed. I am now though in need of some support....
I have been vegan for 2 years. The longer I live this way, the more I learn and the more I want to share with others about how important it is to at least attempt at makeing changes in their life to try and live a little more cruelty free. I had not seen earthlings until 6 months ago, and until that point I was very shy about how passionate I am about animal rights and speciesism. Since I have seen that movie I have started feeling like what I eat is not enough, the products I chose to buy is not enough, the clothing I purchase and wear is not enough. I need to change minds, open hearts, share what I have learned! I start posting articles, passing out flyers, engaging people in discussions when they ask me about veganisim...I know some of the things that I share are unplesent, but they are nescesary for people to understand how WRONG things are. Today, a girl I have not seen in 10 years (old high school friend) commented on one of the photos I posted. She said that while she is on board with me on lots of these issues, some of the things I post are too upsetting and she is going to delete my feed. I told her to do what ever she needed to do, but what I wanted to say was, well, then do something about it! I'm sure I sound like an ass but my heart just breaks at the ammount of suffering that continues because people don't want to look. Even if some one else is just offering them information, the don't want it. Intentionaly refusing knoledge is just something I can not understand.

Sorry for the rant....am I alone? Do any of you ever feel this way? Am I wrong? Should I contain what I have learned? How I feel? I don't want to upset people, but I want them to see.
Sorry for the long post <3 Much love and nice to meet you all <3

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
OMG yes, all the time! Why didn't I get to this post sooner Lol? It's so great that you realized that you wanted to do more with your veganism than just living the lifestyle, you actually wanted to go out, share the message, and get others on board. That's like me ^^. I have pamphlets I pass out in public (though it's hard because I can't leaflet on a lot of the property I go to. Even public places can technically be "private," like malls, businesses, etc.

I had a friend who did something similar to what you did. She posted this picture of a mutiliated animal on facebook to spread the word about cruelty to animals and many others were whining for people to stop spreading that picture around. Here is the problem I see with those people. They CHOOSE to not be educated about issues, they CHOOSE to turn a blind eye away to suffering. Why you may ask? Well, here is where I somewhat sympatheize cuz I can understand how they feel. Many of those people who tell you to stop posting graphic pictures or videos feel POWERLESS to change the cruelty in the world. Since they feel powerless, they automatically assume they can't do anything to help those animals. They would rather not look at those pictures or videos because it reminds them of their own lack of power they feel to change any of it. However, this is where my sympathy ends, because I feel like they SHOULD KNOW, especially if they have talked to vegetarians, vegans, or advocates for animals, that they CAN be a part of the change. If YOU are able to live a compassionate lifestyle, advocating animals, and changing people's perceptions of them, others, granted their circumstances, should be able to do the same. Many just CHOOSE not to change their lifestyle, because they are comfortable in their own (although deep down, they know they really aren't.) Some may be afraid of change or be afraid of dealing with people that get infuriated with them (I know this feeling well). Others may not know how to go about changing their ways, especially if they are in poverty or aren't able to make much of their own choices. And some are just plain lazy and don't want to even try to make changes because, since they believe that the world is f'ed up already, they feel it doesn't matter what they do or don't do.

I completely get how you feel. These people annoy the heck out of me because most of them, unless they are extremely poor and don't have access to materials, are fully capable of being advocates and making a changes in people's lives. Most of them just have a notion that "they" can't. You can't be an advocate without knowing the issues, therefore you have to look at the pictures and the videos. I feel they are more helpful than just reading words online because videos and pictures can evoke more of an emotion because you can see the problem straight out. I was able to look at graphic pictures and video when I was 13. Yes, I cried a lot and was infuriated because I had no idea such cruelty went on, but you know what? I AM SO SUPER HAPPY I CHOSE TO LOOK, because if I had decided to turn away, I wouldn't be who I am today...I appreciate the amount of doors veganism has opened to me. I am not just aware of animal concerns going on in the world, but I came to be aware of environmental and humanitarian issues as well. I wouldn't dream of going back to my oblivious lifestyle, where I was uninformed and just muddling through life like the rest.

I know some animal lovers can't bear to see mutilated animals, but, in my opinion, if you can't look or inform yourself about animal rights concerns, you have already chosen not to try and go about fixing them. A TRUE animal lover, would look at the truth whole heartedly and live the change and/or advocate for it. It's just like with people who say they love animals, yet eat meat. They don't realize it's a contradiction. (neither did I four years ago) You can't "care" about animals if you are okay with turning a blind eye to the ones who suffer to get on your dinner plate. :/

Anyway, positive news, there are many that are willing to look at the images and videos. That's great!! If you think of it, the more and more people that go veg or vegan, the more people that are comfortable switching their lifestyle and looking at the truth. While I don't admire people who are sheep and follow the crowd around blatantly, there are of course going to be many people that switch to veggie based eating when there are finally enough vegetarians around, that many people feel will start feeling more so guilty for not being one themselves. Many omnivores misinformidly criticize our lifestyle now, but just wait, the tables will be turned.
Justice always wins in then end, Lapuce. It's just a long hard battle. You are in no way obligated to take any of those pictures or videos down. YOU SHOW THE TRUTH! People need to know about it. Is it fair to the animals to hide it away just because people are uncomfortable looking at it? The animals are the ones suffering from those people's choices...not the people. I'm sure if the tide was reversed, and those people were the animals about to be sent to slaughter, they would be begging for us to look at the pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh bless you :) I just got off work and am so grateful to have such a positive reply! I am not one normally to rock boats and make waves, but this ... this is just too important. Maybe the lesson is for me to learn how to be okay with making people uncomfortable. I actually don't mind too much, ambush earthling parties are still one of my favorite things to do to "interview" new potential partners. I know every one says it, but I swear that movie made such an impact on me. I was already vegan, and spent the majority of it bawling my eyes out and feeling the death of every animal and lamenting the fact that I could not morn for each death in real time. These animals lived and died and no one noticed or cared. That drove me crazy. By the end though all my sadness and weakness had be cried out and I became effing ANGRY. I knew that I was growing as an advocate, that my fear of harming delicate sensitivities for politeness were fast reaching an end. Thanks for helping me not feel crazy and alone! <3

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
I have seen Earthlings too!! Got a free copy at a vegfest, and shared it with someone who was interested. You are so welcome ^^ I'm glad I could help. I'm glad you feel more comfortable now with your own intuitions of doing what is right for the animals, regardless if people feel uncomfortable with it, cuz, like I said, the animals are the ones that "suffer," not them. Don't let others tell you to not stand up for them. They are just trying to make you feel guilty about what you are doing so you can come back and join in the comfort of ignorance with them.

I'm still rather afraid of making people feel uncomfortable, so I try to do my approach, in a respectful, polite way, reaching a common ground with them so they know that I used to be just like them and can relate. (Remember, there is a difference between being rude and disrespectful towards people with your outreach, and just ending up harming their sensitivities with your outreach even though you tried to get the message across in a polite way.) Being polite in my approach has worked and overall has had a more positive effect. It doesn't always work though, some still choose to not listen still, but that's their choice. It's not on me, I did my part. Same goes for you

·
Registered
72 Posts
I certainly feel this way, too. Whenever I try to engage others about my vegetarianism, they do not want to hear how flawed and silly their excuses are. Just try to understand that some people will always act that way, until it becomes personal to them. I agree that it is sad that people just turn a blind eye, instead of coming to the conclusion to do something about it. Just know that you are at least making them think about it for awhile, and maybe after enough repetition, it will begin to sink in. The habits of eating meat are hard to change when you have to change your whole perspective in order to see animals as sentient beings, instead of just something to eat because we can.
Hope this helps, and good job spreading the word about veganism!

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Nice addition, Avid. I think people finally get the message in their own ways. For some it may take repetition of a subject before it finally sinks in for them. For others, they go with their heart in one night and have a major switch in their perspective (after a lot of wrenching tears.) And some people, will just refuse to ever accept it. Though some of those people may accept it in time, once the majority of society has accepted our views.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Nice addition, Avid. I think people finally get the message in their own ways. For some it may take repetition of a subject before it finally sinks in for them. For others, they go with their heart in one night and have a major switch in their perspective (after a lot of wrenching tears.) And some people, will just refuse to ever accept it. Though some of those people may accept it in time, once the majority of society has accepted our views.
Thanks
Unfortunately, there are people who will only do something if it is "popular" or something that is accepted in society as normal. Veg*ns tend to go against the grain of normalcy, and so it is hard to appeal to people who only care about how they look to others.

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid92 View Post

Thanks
Unfortunately, there are people who will only do something if it is "popular" or something that is accepted in society as normal. Veg*ns tend to go against the grain of normalcy, and so it is hard to appeal to people who only care about how they look to others.
I know, I feel like the majority of society is like that. They care so much about what others think of them, yet they forget that each individual person thinks of them differently, so you can never make everyone happy. You gotta do what's right for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was talking to some one at breakfast about this same thing. If you do what every one else does, no one questions you. If you do research, form your own opinion, make changes in your life and are better and happier for it, then you need to be ready to defend your new life choice on a daily basis. Lately when people ask me why I am vegan, I ask them why they eat meat. Trying to get them to answer their own questions and have them think about the choices they make and realize that most of them are not choices just habits

Doesn't keep me from wanting to shake people and yell in their face "just be vegan already! its so effing easy! look! Ill cook you quonia! Like right now!" .

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapuce View Post

I was talking to some one at breakfast about this same thing. If you do what every one else does, no one questions you. If you do research, form your own opinion, make changes in your life and are better and happier for it, then you need to be ready to defend your new life choice on a daily basis. Lately when people ask me why I am vegan, I ask them why they eat meat. Trying to get them to answer their own questions and have them think about the choices they make and realize that most of them are not choices just habits

Doesn't keep me from wanting to shake people and yell in their face "just be vegan already! its so effing easy! look! Ill cook you quonia! Like right now!" .
LOL you have a very valid point. I find myself on the defensive a lot. But it seems like a good strategy to ask them why they eat meat. Typically the answer I get when I would ask that is "because it's good..." der der der. And then you have to respond to that saying "well, do you know where you meat comes from?" and then they most likely would automatically tune me out at that point because they don't want to know or be reminded. xD
I want to shake some of those people up too. "If you know, do something about it!!!!!!!" grrrr.

I know, veganism, is easier now than ever before. It must have been harder when they first coined the term vegan.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
re-Intentionally refusing knowledge

The world is pain wherever you look. Everyone needs to filter most of it out or risk going insane.

Just this afternoon, for example, I intentionally turned off the tv news channel so I didn't have to hear more on a heartbreaking story and then I turned it again when there was a disturbing ad on.

I've been an activist on many, many issues. But there are limits to what we all can do. I just try to do good work, leave the Earth a better place than I found it in some way, accept my limits and try to live a balanced life.

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

re-Intentionally refusing knowledge

The world is pain wherever you look. Everyone needs to filter most of it out or risk going insane.

Just this afternoon, for example, I intentionally turned off the tv news channel so I didn't have to hear more on a heartbreaking story and then I turned it again when there was a disturbing ad on.

I've been an activist on many, many issues. But there are limits to what we all can do. I just try to do good work, leave the Earth a better place than I found it in some way, accept my limits and try to live a balanced life.
Thanks for your input imagineaa
I know I sometimes get a little too down in the dumps with advocacy of whatever I'm doing...and then I will decide to take a long break from it all just so I can relax and chill. But I refuse to "not" go back to it. Advocacy for a better world is a passion of mine. I'm glad others share the same

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.