VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not eating meat has changed the way I look at animals. It really has. I gave it up for ethical reasons, but doing so has led me to start feeling much more strongly about other things.

Since I went veg, seeing roadkill breaks my heart. I barely used to notice it, but now a squirrel in the middle of the road brings tears to my eyes. Also, seeing animals in zoos or being used for entertainment now upsets me - never did before. All I can think is that it's not natural and that they don't want to be there - why would they? It's sick.

I want to scream when people load up on animal-tested products because they think animal testing means a bunny got its fur lovingly scrubbed with their shampoo - or, more infuriatingly, because they "can't afford the other stuff" - even though they really can, but just don't care enough.

I feel like I've never been this sensitive before (and by sensitive, I mean easily upset - not that I'm the world's kindest person or anything like that). I didn't go veg because I felt this way; I started feeling this way after I went veg.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yes. It hurts me to see people who I know are beautiful, loving, compassionate people eating meat. Especially little kids.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It has changed the way I look at animals as well. I no longer swat at flies, and always try to give rabbits, birds, and the like ample leeway so that they are not spooked when I ride my bicycle past them. Just a lot of little changes, really, but they give me a constant supply of warm-fuzzies.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
It truly changed my entire world view. I was ALWAYS extremely compassionate to animals, marine life in particular, and I was always 'eco-minded' at least, I liked to think of myself that way. Turning veg*n changed my words into actions, and a step further. It made every choice I make, honestly every single one, a mindful choice, and a purposeful choice.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am a peaceful person and its slowly coming out as I get away from negative vibes from negative sources and people. I decided meats and most animal products is not for me and products that animal tests also. I am also feeling some changes for the good each day and I am taking some good vitamins and supplements to improve my health.
The VB's has taught me alot the last year or so many things to change and I am slowly changing my house, I am wanting full Veg by next year.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
On the technical side, becoming a vegan made me learn how to cook and now I'm knowledgeable (amateur) chef. If I hadn't become a vegan I might be eating processed foods like a lot of other people.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
^ Agree with that, I am a far better cook, and now obsessed with cookbooks and food.. whenever I see veg*n cookbooks I am like "Want!" and have to hold back from buying more. Mind you I like to buy stuff.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am a much better cook, baker, and I know waaaaay more about nutrition than I would have if I hadn't gone vegan. I've also experimented with foods I would have otherwise ignored.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Road kill has always bothered me. I still think of animals I have seen dead on the road from years and years ago. Even as a teenager or younger. I never liked zoos as a kid. It didn't seem right that the animals were on display for us.

I don't think being vegan has made me more sensitive. It has made me feel more isolated probably. Both with omnivores and with other vegans.

Don't even get me started on the shopping thing. I'm often noticing or trying not to notice what is in other people's carts. If I see someone with a lot of meat in their cart in line I won't get in line behind them.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

Don't even get me started on the shopping thing. I'm often noticing or trying not to notice what is in other people's carts. If I see someone with a lot of meat in their cart in line I won't get in line behind them.
Me too. I was recently trapped in line behind a very unhealthy-looking woman and her overweight kids. The cart was loaded with red meat, several gallons of two-percent milk, individually-wrapped snack-sized potato chip bags (the kind wrapped in two thousand pounds of plastic)...I would have gotten in another line if the store wasn't so mobbed. Grrr.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A particular implication of evolution suddenly hit me one day -- that if we all evolved from the same organism, then if some living creatures are believed to have inherent dignity and value (humans, pets, etc.), then all living creatures must have inherent dignity and worth and must be treated accordingly. And this can't just be limited to the cute and cuddly ones, I realized -- we should respect all forms of life, even if they're creepy. Like bugs.
So from then on, whenever I've found a spider or another such arachnid/insect in my house, I've put it in a little food storage container, taken it outside, and let it go. I must be honest about something, though -- an exception to my rationale has been insects that can cause harm, like bees/wasps (stings and allergic reactions), flies (spread disease), and mosquitos (spread disease and parasitic infections). But one of my immediate goals is to be truer to my principles and apply them universally. I think catching bees and wasps would take the most amount of courage. And I have a lot of allergies, so I try to avoid bees and wasps like the plague. But yes -- I started thinking about these things after I became a vegetarian.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I feel changed! Since I became a vegetarian I have gained a better life. I am happier and more energetic. I think that I am nicer, and less irritable. I have this passion for helping out causes. I want to use my freedom of speech to stand out and make a difference; I've always been one to keep my opinions to myself. I spent a day researching (for my English class research project) PETA, and it just completely reinforced my faith in what I'm doing. I am absolutely positive I will never go back to eating meat. I am now aware of different types of industries that hurt our environment and animals. I didn't know how destructive circuses were; I had never thought about how the animals in the show were forced to perform.

I'm a noob when it comes to vegetarianism. It's only been about 3.5 months (I know, I wish I would have changed sooner) since I became vegetarian. I haven't ate any type of meat what-so-ever. I am eating a better diet, full of well balanced food. I had never touched a salad before the day I became a vegetarian. I had no idea how I was going to make it work (veggies weren't my thing, fruits yes, but veggies no). I didn't know how I was going to stay healthy. After researching I learned so much! I bought a couple cookbooks, some tofu, some veggies! Now, I'm a pro. And I LOVE salads- who woulda thought?! I weighed 159 pounds.. definitely overweight for my age/height/gender. I was also in a size 16 pant. Now, after only a few months and changing nothing else in my life except refusing meat, I have lost 16 pounds, 6% body fat, and I am now in a size 8. It's amazing!!! I still have a little weight to lose to be in the target zone, but I still feel great about my body! I wasn't even expecting to lose weight.

I made the change for animal welfare- I finally just decided that enough is enough. Then I researched that farms are completely destroying our environment, and that was it. Never going back.

This is the best change I have made, ever, and I just feel so wonderful!!

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
I can only dictate what I eat, and how I live.
I have become more concerned with animal treatment over the last 9 months. Not to the point of marching with PETA mind you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts