VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in donating my body to my local medical school when I die, but I'm not sure what to expect. Has anyone here done this? Nobody I know has. I'm already on the organ donor register but I'd like my body to be useful even if I can't donate them.

At the moment, I have the contact details for the medical school, but no-one to sign my consent form as a witness. If anyone else has advice or would like to talk about it, please do!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
What do you mean what to expect? You'll be dead...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yes, I'd worked that one out...

What I mean is, are there any restrictions? Will my body only be used in certain circumstances? What are they going to do with my body when they've finished with it? Will my family be able to veto the decision? Etc...

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
That all 100% depends on the place you donate it to.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
No advice at all and this will sound ridiculous but I looked into donating my body too and I decided not to do it as I wouldn't want to have my body on a slab being examined by med students. I do donate blood and I am an organ donor though. I have known med students in my real life so I think that is what has put me off the idea.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I plan to come back as a zombie.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I have known med students in my real life so I think that is what has put me off the idea.
I would never even consider donating my body like that because the whole idea freaks me out and I can definitely understand this statement as well.

I also remember a news story not too long ago about med students posting pics on FB with them posing with someone's donated body.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I've heard stories of the students playing jokes on each other by putting various parts off the bodies into each others purses, etc.

Besides, last thing I want to do is help Humans find a way to live even longer or something like that.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
"I'm donating my body to science fiction."
-Steven Wright

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Im not. I did toy with the idea, but I then watched a documentary on it. It was meant to be about encouraging people to sign up (with that guy who does plastination hosting it), but the reason it discouraged me is with what they do with the body after. Basically your family will prob not get your body back, or only get it in bits and pieces. I wouldnt want to put my family through that - it would probably be mess with their grieving (presuming theres anyone around that actually gives a toss that im dead). if im an unmarried old lady with no family left i'll do it haha.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I would never even consider donating my body like that because the whole idea freaks me out and I can definitely understand this statement as well.
I'm glad it isn't just me, I thought I was being weird.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts