VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just unfriended yet another friend on facebook for being insensitive to vegetarians/vegans. She got all bent out of shape because she posted a picture of a rice crispies Turkey with the caption "Vegetarian Turkey" and I posed "It's not vegetarian if there were marshmellows in it". She said "I don't care.. blah bla blah, and said that I was being rude. I don't see how I was being rude by making a technical observation. And then a few minutes later she posts a video of someone cutting up bacon saying "Now that's a vegetarian meal." I could have just let it slide with the whole marshmellow thing, but that was drawing the line for me. And she thought I was being rude?! So I unfriended and blocked her. Thing is we went to high school together but are just mutual acquaintances. Am I overreacting here? This is not the first time this has happened. I do not proclaim my veganism to Facebook. I will sometimes make posts about how cows are causing ecological problems, or how meat is unhealthy, but it's not all in your face. I have unfriended people to for posts I know that were targeted at me, making fun of vegetarians or vegans. It's just insensitive and nasty, saying things like "How can you tell if a guy is a vegetarian.. By his vagina." I mean.. really?? That's when I start unfriending people, Has anyone else experienced this or had to start cleaning up their friends list because of things like this?

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I have just unfriended yet another friend on facebook for being insensitive to vegetarians/vegans. She got all bent out of shape because she posted a picture of a rice crispies Turkey with the caption "Vegetarian Turkey" and I posed "It's not vegetarian if there were marshmellows in it". She said "I don't care.. blah bla blah, and said that I was being rude. I don't see how I was being rude by making a technical observation. And then a few minutes later she posts a video of someone cutting up bacon saying "Now that's a vegetarian meal." I could have just let it slide with the whole marshmellow thing, but that was drawing the line for me. And she thought I was being rude?! So I unfriended and blocked her. Thing is we went to high school together but are just mutual acquaintances. Am I overreacting here? This is not the first time this has happened. I do not proclaim my veganism to Facebook. I will sometimes make posts about how cows are causing ecological problems, or how meat is unhealthy, but it's not all in your face. I have unfriended people to for posts I know that were targeted at me, making fun of vegetarians or vegans. It's just insensitive and nasty, saying things like "How can you tell if a guy is a vegetarian.. By his vagina." I mean.. really?? That's when I start unfriending people, Has anyone else experienced this or had to start cleaning up their friends list because of things like this?
No, because I'm sure it's not just me that is their veg*an friend. Chin up and good luck.

Reactions: Lymo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are jokes and there are unfunny insults.
Exactly what I was thinking. We don't make jokes like this to meat eaters, so why is ok for them to do it to us? Or maybe we should start a chain of jokes we vegies/vegans usually hear from them and turn it around..

How can you tell if someone eats meat? Heart disease.. they have heart disease.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think everyone, vegan or not, should clean up their friend list and stop hoarding names. Keep real friends, you know, those who accept you as you are and are worth keeping. You may have only 10 names on your list but they'll be worth it!

·
Registered
437 Posts
You know this person much better than we do from this brief snapshot of behaviour. If I didn't like someone's posts or found them offensive - I'd just block them. I wouldn't make a big deal of it or anything - because that's just adding unnecessary drama to my life.

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
I have NEVER been insulted on Facebook, Twitter ect... because I don't participate in social media. Been insulted a whole lot in real life. I just let it roll off my back. Annoying, but ignoring it is the best defense. You can't argue with people who have that mindset, you can't talk logic into them and at the end of the day, they are insulting you because deep down, THEY ARE INSECURE ABOUT THEIR OWN DIETARY/ETHICAL CHOICES. On of the oldest "bullying tactics" in the book- I feel ugly, I'll call everyone prettier than me ugly. I feel bad that I'm eating meat and am too lazy to take action so I'll insult those who don't eat meat and actually did something about it. Omni's who actually believe they are eating right for their body and feel comfortable in their ethical choices and lifestyle don't need to insult vegetarians/vegans. It's the ones who question themselves who feel the need to rudely question everyone else. And whatever their hangup may be, YOU aren't going to be able to inspire real change in these types. Again, best to ignore their ignorant/insulting comments.

Reactions: Purp

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh really, Vegetarian guys have vaginas? No actually we're just smart like Bugs Bunny because we're able to think critically about things, while the people making jokes on facebook as they stuff their face with pork rinds are the Elmer Fudds of the world, eternally wandering around the forest going "duhhh, I have a stupid gun and hunt so that makes me masculine"

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have NEVER been insulted on Facebook, Twitter ect... because I don't participate in social media. Been insulted a whole lot in real life. I just let it roll off my back. Annoying, but ignoring it is the best defense. You can't argue with people who have that mindset, you can't talk logic into them and at the end of the day, they are insulting you because deep down, THEY ARE INSECURE ABOUT THEIR OWN DIETARY/ETHICAL CHOICES. On of the oldest "bullying tactics" in the book- I feel ugly, I'll call everyone prettier than me ugly. I feel bad that I'm eating meat and am too lazy to take action so I'll insult those who don't eat meat and actually did something about it. Omni's who actually believe they are eating right for their body and feel comfortable in their ethical choices and lifestyle don't need to insult vegetarians/vegans. It's the ones who question themselves who feel the need to rudely question everyone else. And whatever their hangup may be, YOU aren't going to be able to inspire real change in these types. Again, best to ignore their ignorant/insulting comments.
agree with this, but i'm also all for jokes. and some jokes against my own kind are funny. jokes about carnivores are even funnier. yeah, i don't post **** that may offend people on facebook, but that's only cause I'm tired of their ****, not because I'm afraid of offendding them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dude my vegetarian sister posted a picture of a turkey that look like it was marshmallow square with Smarties coming out the top. It also said vegetarian Thanksgiving and it was vegetarian it was from a vegan website it's not actually marshmallow holding it together although in your defense I was also confused and thought it was marshmallow some sort of sugar paste or something

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't think you are over-reacting at all. Personally I like to throw a little fire at people like that and let them have it with some cold hard facts in support of veganism for ethical reasons, then invite them to my place to watch some videos. They always decline. Eventually, they will give up if you stand firm with your beliefs and have the knowledge to defeat all the weak claims they will come up with.

If you don't like to argue online though, a simple "block" will do. BUT, in the real world it's not that simple so I always think it's a good idea to arm up with facts and train yourself to handle real life, in public confrontations with confidence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I have the same issues, people are just so wierd :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts