VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace wheat in my diet but i LOVE pita bread. Has anyone here ever seen a brand that makes sprout pita?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I don't recall, but have you tried making them yourself? They can be very simple. Are you adverse to kamut or spelt berries? Those options may be great substitutions with no sacrifice of flavor.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never cooked with spelt or kamut. Would i just replace the wheat in a pita recipe with one of those two? Thank you for your suggestion

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes, that would work. I've substituted kamut and spelt in many recipes calling for whole wheat. I love spelt!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I haven't seen any commercial gluten-free pita products, but as far as I know, pitas are simply flour, yeast water and salt (And l-cysteine hydrochloride, calcium propionate and a hundred other additives if it's a commercial product
) so you shouldn't have too much trouble making pitas w/o wheat flour. However, you can expect the taste to be affected, if you use some other kind of flour, which is where the problem lies. If it isn't wheat, then don't expect it to taste exactly like wheat.

Good luck anyway!! Tell us how it turns out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts