VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were quite a few Harry Potter fans on VegWeb, so I thought I'd start this up again over here.

Finally, after years of waiting, Rowling released the date for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, set for June 23, 2003. I'm really excited about this... you can only re-read the books so many times before you get passages memorized.
I've heard a lot of discussion over Harry's "love interest", but we all know people will harrass her or start mass mayhem if it doesn't go their way. There's also been things on who will die in the upcoming book(s). Any thoughts on Book 5 and beyond?

Another thing is the movies (which is the subject of many disagreements). We've got the fangirls who go to them to see their *favorite* actor, those who only go because it's Harry Potter, those who haven't even read the books, those who love them, and probably more (fill me in, please). With Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban set to come out June 2004 (still a long wait), many have been anticipating it. Professor Remus Lupin (David Thewlis), Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) and Peter Pettigrew (Timothy Spall) will be joining the cast, and I'm wondering how they'll portray the characters. There is also a new director this time, Alfonso Cuaron, I'm also wondering how he'll bring his own ideas into the film. To me, Chris Colombus mutilated the books in the movies (of course, it is hard to fit it all in, and all other books get screwed around with in the process, too), and I'm hoping that Movie 3 doens't go the same way. Any thoughts on the movies?

My favorite book is PoA (as you might have guessed from my semi-rant), I'm a Peter supporter, Snape supporter, and I'm not against Slytherin. I just thought I'd say the last three now to let the initial shock you'll all receive wear off before you post.

I'm hoping to find some more Harry Potter fans over here!

---Meo

·
Registered
0 Posts
WHAT???? You're a Peter and a Slytherin supporter?? And you support Snape? Blasphemy!!!

Well...Harry Potter... I can say I'm a huge fan, no denying it that's for sure. I didn't really find the movies to be all that wonderful, although the second one was nice because of the more indepth look at Hogwarts. The movies definitly did not do the books any justice and I can only hope that PoA is done well as it is my favorite book of the series so far. How can you not like Serius and Lupin? I surely hope they portray them well in the this new movie.

I was thinking about OoP that's coming out and I had a thought. What if Fluer isn't the new Dark Art's teacher, but something else. I mean, she could replace Hagrid as the Care of Magical Creatures proffessor since Hagrid's being sent off on his new mission. Which brings me another thought, what's school going to be like with Voldermort on the loose?? Think it will be like PoA when Dumbledore brought in the Dementors? And what's going to happen between Dumbledore and the Minister of Magic? Since we know that they are at odds at the end of book 4? And just to throw in another twist, what if Ron's infatuation with Fluer is perpetuated(my big word for tonight) by her...will there be conflict between Hermione and her?

Choi

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, had to get the shock over right away.

I don't like Sirius and Remus because there's really no depth to them. Sure, they're there and great, and you have to love them, but I just don't see more than that.

I really don't know what Fleur would be doing. Sure, she was coming back to Hogwarts, but as what... I don't know. I doubt the school would be like PoA. Sure, there's the same panic/havoc thing going on, but as we know, Dumbledore doesn't want the dementors on school grounds. As Trelawney would say: I forsee many troubles with Dumbledore and Fudge... beware.
I don't think that Ron's liking Fleur would get in the way too much. From what we know, he fancies Hermione, but he doesn't know it. Maybe he'll someday come to his senses... but I don't see Hermione as one to fight over a guy.

---Meo

·
Registered
985 Posts
My big question, who's going to play Dumbledore? I LOOOOOVE Harry Potter. I have had my name down for one at Borders since they started taking orders for em. I love the most recent one. It's taken quite an interesting twist.... Too excited!!!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I don't think they'd get Ian McKellen to play Dumbledore because they're both old, grandfatherly wizards in epic fantasy movies released at roughly the same time. I think it'd be weird to see them being played by the same person in such similar roles. Could be a bit confusing.

I love Ian McKellen though! He would've been perfect for either role.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan! God, I love the books. JKR writes so well.. it's amazing. <3

My favorite book is the 4th. It's just so much fun to read.. and I appreciate the length of it. Makes the diehard geeks happy to the core.

I can't wait til Order of the Phoenix comes out. June 23rd.. OH BABY<3

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I'm really into the HP fandom...I'm so excited about HP and the COS coming out on DVD this week, and OotP in June...whee!

I've been occupying myself with fanfics lately, however...do any of you ever get over to Fiction Alley?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love Fiction Alley! It's like a paradise to me...
I haven't been on it lately, though, which is too bad. Have you read the Cassie's Draco Trilogy, ceryna? That's one of my favorite fics there.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I don't think I've read that one...

Have you read "Irresistable Poison" by Rhysenn? That's my favorite HP fanfic. ^_____^

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just started that. Sounds good so far.

Another one... has anyone Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody by Michael Gerber? It's a book... and a very good one, too, although extremely perverted. That's not always a bad thing, though. *forget I said that*

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I have a fic floating around in my brain that I'd like to write, but I've had an awful case of writer's block lately and I just can't seem to get it set down on paper. (Or into the computer screen, to be more accurate, hehe.)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Coincidence, I just read my first Harry Potter book today. Finished it in an afternoon.
Now, to pick up the next few years!

I think it's awesome that these books were written by a single mother. Her story-telling talent is outstanding.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.