VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I had a very easy transition also. I was not a big meat eater before, and because I was intolerant to most dairy (terrible cramps and diarrhea and gas) I was already drinking plant milks and avoiding cheese and milk for years as an omni. The exception was plain nonfat Greek yogurt which I used to eat for breakfast almost every morning, alternating that with oatmeal and fruit.

When I went vegan, instead of trying to find vegan yogurt replacements (which just aren't anything like Greek yogurt), I tried to create foods with creamy textures, and thick smoothies fit that bill, so I drank a lot of those for breakfast. More recently I have discovered tofu pudding. In fact my breakfasts vary far more as a vegan than they did as an omni.

In general, I found so many awesome vegan foods and meals to make that I just didn't miss omni food at all. Only a few times after my second year did I have strange cravings for eggs and yogurt and that was due to restricting food intake in general and eventually those cravings dissipated. Chickpea flour omelets and tofu scramble or chickpea salad sandwiches more than satisfy that "egg" craving. And I have had great success with a ton of ways to replace eggs in baking and cooking. Pancakes are especially very easy to make without eggs. My favorite pancakes believe it or not are gluten free rice flour banana pancakes. And I am not even gluten free. :)

From what I understand, dairy is very difficult for people to give up, more so than meat and eggs. It supposedly has some kind of addictive physical properties but I know very little about that. You are not alone with struggling to give up dairy. I probably would have related more to that struggle had it not been for the horrid cramps and pain I would get eating cheese and drinking cows milk. I was so afraid of that pain I even avoided vegan cheese for a very long time. lol.

20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a very easy transition also. I was not a big meat eater before, and because I was intolerant to most dairy (terrible cramps and diarrhea and gas) I was already drinking plant milks and avoiding cheese and milk for years as an omni. The exception was plain nonfat Greek yogurt which I used to eat for breakfast almost every morning, alternating that with oatmeal and fruit.

When I went vegan, instead of trying to find vegan yogurt replacements (which just aren't anything like Greek yogurt), I tried to create foods with creamy textures, and thick smoothies fit that bill, so I drank a lot of those for breakfast. More recently I have discovered tofu pudding. In fact my breakfasts vary far more as a vegan than they did as an omni.

In general, I found so many awesome vegan foods and meals to make that I just didn't miss omni food at all. Only a few times after my second year did I have strange cravings for eggs and yogurt and that was due to restricting food intake in general and eventually those cravings dissipated. Chickpea flour omelets and tofu scramble or chickpea salad sandwiches more than satisfy that "egg" craving. And I have had great success with a ton of ways to replace eggs in baking and cooking. Pancakes are especially very easy to make without eggs. My favorite pancakes believe it or not are gluten free rice flour banana pancakes. And I am not even gluten free. :)

From what I understand, dairy is very difficult for people to give up, more so than meat and eggs. It supposedly has some kind of addictive physical properties but I know very little about that. You are not alone with struggling to give up dairy. I probably would have related more to that struggle had it not been for the horrid cramps and pain I would get eating cheese and drinking cows milk. I was so afraid of that pain I even avoided vegan cheese for a very long time. lol.
I'm so glad that I'm not alone in this! I figured meat was going to be difficult for me to give up but it hasn't been. It's just been dairy for me. Thank you so much for your insight! :)

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Salmon. Truthfully, I miss and still crave salmon.

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
I had an easy time too.
The few cravings that lasted a little while were corned beef (the real kind, not the stuff in a can that resembles dog food), salmon, and my smoked bacon jerky (yes, I was a serious omni) but none of those were things I ate often anyway.
I expected chicken curry cravings, but vegan curries are so easy and good it just never happened.

·
an irregular
151 Posts
I stopped meat "cold turkey" about 6 months ago and the only thing I can think that I've craved have been buffalo chicken wings, which is odd since I ate them very rarely when I ate meat. Other than that, it's been great, I've always enjoyed cooking so I've had no shortage of experimental meals to make to see what works for me.
Coincidentally, I haven't had any eggs or milk since then, and I used to have them semi regularly, although cheeses took a bit to finally give up

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
I thought it would be sushi......raw tuna.

Nope......buffalo wings.

Then I figured out that I craved the sauce, not the wing.

Soooo.....I put the sauce on "cauliflower" chicken wings.

Problem solved!!!! :)

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
You won't believe it (I don't think anyone else will, either) but it's shellfish I miss. Clams, oysters, scallops, things like that. Those were good!!! I never had a problem giving up dairy, though...Yes, I do things like this sideways.

Reactions: lucky7

·
Registered
95 Posts
The hardest thing for me to give up has been convenience. I have to make pretty much everything from scratch and I enjoy doing it most of the time, but I do miss the convenience of just being able to grab the occasional readymade thing from the supermarket.

In terms of foods, so far nothing.

·
an irregular
151 Posts
The hardest thing for me to give up has been convenience. I have to make pretty much everything from scratch and I enjoy doing it most of the time, but I do miss the convenience of just being able to grab the occasional readymade thing from the supermarket..
i've been thinking the same thing, i dont mind it so much, but it does make a quick lunch into a bigger "to-do" if you want a hot meal. generally, i've just adjusted how much of something i make to last more than a meal so i can heat up the leftovers the next day or something. i will say, i dont go out to eat nearly as often, which is saving me quite a bit of money :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been vegan for just over 2 months and have already forgotten what every single dairy and meat product tastes like... I was sharing my friends jacket potato with beans the other day and I accidentally got a bit of cheese in my mouth and it tasted disgusting. I used to love Cheddar and now I cannot stand the taste, nor the smell of meat and dairy!

The hardest thing for me to give up was the guilt I had from realising I much preferred eating vegan anyway! :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Barbecue ribs. I've found substitutes for most other things!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Salmon. Truthfully, I miss and still crave salmon.
Fish in general were the hardest for me when I went from omni to vegetarian. Especially Salmon and Tuna!

Vegetarian to vegan what I miss most isn't a food specifically but being able to walk into any restaurant and find something on the menu that needed little to no modification.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts