VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so for weeks now my family has bothered me about the choice of veganism and my health. I have terrible bones and it'll only get worse. I've had surgery to correct back issues 2 years ago and my doctor has said I should get twice as much calcium. It's hard to really find things to eat that'll have x2 what I'm supposed to get. I mean, I take vegan calcium supplements but even then... how much is really absorbed? I figure maybe some one here has been in a similar situation and could suggest some things for me to do. This worries me myself as well... my family all suggests me just going back to being a vegetarian and eating eggs and drinking milk from animals that aren't mistreated.

·
Registered
516 Posts
..... So, you want advice?

Well, I am not a nutritionist, but I will repeat (as I have before) - Milk has calcium, but in order to even reach the RDV - let alone x2 of that - you would have to drink 3-4 glasses of milk a day. Not to mention that most of the calcium in milk is canceled out by the animal protein. (Search the PETA website for information on Milk and how it does not help ostio-perosous, or whatever.)

In my opinnion - you are much better off doubling your supplement. I spread mine out (take some at morning, some later at night) and I have never had any problems.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
There is a lot of information out there suggesting that dairy is not the best source of calcium. As Aussyj mentioned, apparently too much protein leeches calcium from the bones, so a diet high in animal proteins can lead to a higher risk of osteoporosis. Regions of the world with the most dairy in their diets (North America and Northern Europe) have the highest rates of osteoporosis.

I'm no doctor, but if I were you I would continue taking a quality calcium supplement and also eat vegan foods which are high in calcium.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
There are other sources of calcium besides just cow milk and and supplements. Besides the leafy green stuff, I drink fortified orange juice (Tropicana is vegan) and fortified soy milk (Silk). I'm no expert, but if you're looking for calcium sources, those are options to consider.

--Fromper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies... I do try to get in foods such as the orange juice with extra calcium and add as much in as I can. I've tried to argue with them about dairy, but they still try to counter it. I've never even liked milk, as even when I bought it from humane farms... it went bad. I have no interest in even eating dairy again... like I can't crave it or anything, so I don't necessarily think it'd even be a good idea.

Anyone know of any good things to add in a diet to help with bones & joints?

·
Registered
516 Posts
- Plenty of Greens.

- Tofu and Soymilk

- Edamame

- Fortified foods and drinks. (Vegan Fortified Cereals, Fortified OJ, etc...)

- DO NOT QUOTE ME but I heard that TUMs are vegan. (Anyone confirm the tums vegan rumor I read?)

- Excercise! Movement may hurt, but it actually helps.

- Sesame Seeds (Ultra great for calcium) and Tahini (Sesame Seed Butter)

- Soy Yogurt

- Fortified Vegan Breads

- Malto-Meal hot wheat cereal (I just found out it has calcium today.)

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Quinoa: 1 cup has as much calcium as 1 qt. of milk, although high in protien the calcium is more readily absorbed that calcium from milk.

Chia seeds: The Chia seed is also a rich source of calcium as it contains the important mineral boron, which acts as catalyst for the absorption and utilization of the calcium by the body.

Teff seeds: It is much higher in iron and calcium than wheat, rice, millet, or oats; and, since there is no way to remove the germ or the husk, all of the nutrients are consumed.

Weight Training

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
There is about the same amount of Calcium in Soymilk and other not milks as there is in cow's milk, provided it's enriched.

Enriched tofu, brocolli, almonds, kale and other dark leafy greens etc. are all better sources of calcium than animal products, because it is more easily absorbed by the body. Too much protein will also leach calcium out of your bones as your kidneys try to cope with of it.

Make sure to spread your calcium out through the day- only so much can be absorbed at once.

Vitamin D helps calcium absorbsion. If you are fair skinned you can get enough by spending 15 mins in the sun- up to a half hour if you have dark skin. If you are in a Northern Climate though, you can't really get Vitamin D from the sun from October to about April.

If you are looking to ingest Vitamin D, just be aware than D3 is from animal source.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've read that studies show that a calcium supplement is better taken at night because for whatever reason calcium is better absorbed right before bedtime. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Either way I try to take calcium supplements closer to bedtime, I figure it can't hurt. Although I take one half of a serving of them during the middle of the day or afternoon.

It's likely that you already know this, but if you're taking another supplement for other vitamins make sure not to take it at the same time as the calcium one. The calcium won't be so easily absorbed that way.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj View Post

Okay, so for weeks now my family has bothered me about the choice of veganism and my health. I have terrible bones and it'll only get worse. I've had surgery to correct back issues 2 years ago and my doctor has said I should get twice as much calcium. It's hard to really find things to eat that'll have x2 what I'm supposed to get. I mean, I take vegan calcium supplements but even then... how much is really absorbed? I figure maybe some one here has been in a similar situation and could suggest some things for me to do. This worries me myself as well... my family all suggests me just going back to being a vegetarian and eating eggs and drinking milk from animals that aren't mistreated.
Make sure you don't take any iron-containing supplements along with your calcium supplement. Iron inhibits the body's absorption of calcium. Vitamin C, however, enhances it. So down that calcium supplement with a glass of orange juice! Also, your body can't absorb more than 500-600 mg of calcium at one time, so make sure if you do double up on your supplements, you take it at two different times of day.

Others have already listed some really good vegan sources of calcium for you! Try putting kale into a soymilk-based smoothie for a big boost of calcium! It's surprisingly good.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i take mine before bed , my dietition told me it is much better absorbed , also greens have heaps of calcuim, im not too sure about what to eat them with , if anything so it gets absorbed more?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Seaweed is also very high in calcium (some kinds are higher than others, you can probably search google for that info). Though seaweed can also have a lot of iron, so I don't know if some of it is canceled out that way. For recipes including greens and other ingredients you haven't used before, you can search the veggieboards recipe collection or go to www.vegweb.com and search their recipes (just tried a kale recipe form that site and it was delicious!).

If you haven't heard of an ingredient at all and don't know what to look for at the store, here's a good website for that: www.foodsubs.com

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
According to Tums' web site the main source of calcium in the product is calcium carbonate. According to wikipedia:

Calcium carbonate is the active ingredient in agricultural lime. It is a common substance found as rock in all parts of the world and is the main component of seashells and the shell of snails. It is usually the principal cause of hard water.

Calcium carbonate is found naturally as the following minerals and rocks:

Aragonite

Calcite

Chalk

Limestone

Marble

Travertine

Eggshells are composed of approximately 95% calcium carbonate.

--

So we really shouldn't assume it's vegan or vegetarian unless the company has confirmed the source of calcium carbonate, which can be either animal or non-animal sourced.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
bdj, are you also taking a vitamin D supplement? (Note: D2 is vegan, D3 is not). Vitamin D can help with the absorption of calcium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

According to Tums' web site the main source of calcium in the product is calcium carbonate. According to wikipedia:

Calcium carbonate is the active ingredient in agricultural lime. It is a common substance found as rock in all parts of the world and is the main component of seashells and the shell of snails. It is usually the principal cause of hard water.
It is my understanding that as shell-producing critters died, they dropped to the bottom of the ocean, and over time accumulated into masses of calcium carbonate that could later be mined. While this is essentially an animal source, I don't see it as any less vegan than using fossil fuels. I know some calcium carbonate comes from oyster shells, but I'm not sure what the source of those shells is (byproduct of the industry, or from fossilized remains)?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check this site for good plant sources- http://www.soystache.com/calcium.htm

Also, according to the China Study, cultures who eat little animal products and no dairy have lower rates of osteporosis

- there's a theory that milk helps osteoporosis with one hand and harms with the the other because dairy can make the blood acidic and leech calcium from the bones

Therefore, being vegan might actually help you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts