Happy Ostara!

Merry Solstice!

Happy Spingtime!

Merry Full Moon!

Bright blessings to all of you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Dangit, why couldn't it be the fall equinox instead of the spring? It's already too darned hot here!

Actually, it was just the fall equinox for those on the southern hemisphere.. Maybe I just need to switch hemispheres every equinox

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't you dare stop the spring from a comin'! It's still freezin' up here!!

It's getting better, but I expect at least 1 more snow storm before real spring starts.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Well, this might sound dumb but here goes:

Does anyone use an on-line calendar they could recommend? One that includes events like the first day of Spring?

One reason I ask is that almost none of my computer calendars show the first day of Spring or other such info, and many of my printed calendars do not show that info either. It seems to be a different date every year.

Another peculiarity was that the Great American Meatout was the on March 20, supposedly the first day of Spring. But March 21 was the first day of spring. So, is there some confusion about

when the first day of Spring really is?

·
Registered
478 Posts
The first day of spring is when the equinox is - generally, when the length of day & night are equal.. this is technically calculated when the sun hits the half way point in respect to the earth's 23 degree tilt relative to the plane of its orbit. Umm, I'm not sure if that made all that much sense..

Maybe this is more understandable:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/Equinox.html

Most every calendar I've seen marks equinoxes and solstices, I dunno about online calendars though...

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ObsidianZebra

The first day of spring is when the equinox is ...

Maybe this is more understandable:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/Equinox.html

Most every calendar I've seen marks equinoxes and solstices, I dunno about online calendars though...
I have a calendar in Lotus Organizer, in MS Outlook, in a calendar program called Almanac, etc., and none of these indicate the first day of Spring. I have a printed "Page a Day" calendar that also fails to mention it. My "At-a-Glance" printed calendar does mention it, placing it on the 21st. So does an old DOS program called "Today," which mostly gives dates in history. This also says March 21.

When I looked at your article, and followed the link to "Vernal Equinox," it said this occured at 00:52 "Universal Time," meaning Greenwich Mean Time. But the East Coast is GMT minus 5 hours,

so it would seem that Spring in the US really began on March 20th rather than the 21st. The Meatout people were right, or at least had a point.

I never realized that there was room for disagreement about this.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends on the year. I don't know exactly how it's calculated, but yes, you are right- this year technically it was the 20th, but I didn't get around to posting it until I woke up the next morning.

As for online calendars- I have no idea! I'm sorry.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Spring has sprung here since February 1st...St. Bridget's Day (Lá Féile BrÃ*d). Originally a pagan goddess who's festival was celebrated around this time, the Church appropriated the feast day when Ireland was Christianised.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Yay for the coming of Spring! Spring means warm, Spring means flowers and green, growing things, and SPRING MEANS MY BIRTHDAY!!! Less than two months away, I turn 20!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, the Spring Equinox should be celebrated instead of New Year's Eve/Day on Dec 31/Jan 1. That's when the growing cycle begins anew, and I find that worth celebrating.

Don't fear, I still like shoveling snow. But keep the snow in the winter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe

I have a calendar in Lotus Organizer, in MS Outlook, in a calendar program called Almanac, etc., and none of these indicate the first day of Spring. I have a printed "Page a Day" calendar that also fails to mention it. My "At-a-Glance" printed calendar does mention it, placing it on the 21st. So does an old DOS program called "Today," which mostly gives dates in history. This also says March 21.

When I looked at your article, and followed the link to "Vernal Equinox," it said this occured at 00:52 "Universal Time," meaning Greenwich Mean Time. But the East Coast is GMT minus 5 hours,

so it would seem that Spring in the US really began on March 20th rather than the 21st. The Meatout people were right, or at least had a point.

I never realized that there was room for disagreement about this.
Just came across an article on About.com (http://europeanhistory.about.com/lib.../aa041301a.htm) on Pope Gregory's reform of the Julian calendar. It seems that when they restored the spring equinox to the 21st March (a date set originally by the Council of Nicene) it was probably a compromise by Gregory and the astronomers. From what I understand about the Gregorian system it seems the equinox can occur anytime between the 19th and the 22nd of March.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.