VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've noticed an increasing number of people this season (1) getting mad for one saying "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" and (2) making the statement, "Keep Christ in Christmas".

Despite the fact that I do celebrate Christmas, I've always said "Happy Holidays" to people that I do not know well. The two main reasons being that I do not want to wish them a Merry Christmas if they do not celebrate Christmas (for any number of reasons) and the statement includes the New Year's holiday, as well as a number of other holidays.

Am I being a Grinch? Is the statement "Season's Greetings" any better or is that the same as "Happy Holidays"?

What do you say to others?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
I say Happy Holidays, but if they say Merry Christmas to me, I say it back.



People who get mad at Happy Holidays can go f*** themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
Well, even if they don't celebrate Christmas, they could still have a good time during Christmas.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
I didn't grow up celebrating anything at all, so I'm not in the habit of saying anything. This is despite the fact that I generally *love* Christmas and have celebrated my entire adult life. I usually reciprocate whatever is said to me. I don't think it's a big deal, either way. Though, the CHRISTmas brigade really boils my blood, I just try to ignore it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I say Happy Holidays, but if they say Merry Christmas to me, I say it back.

<snip>

People who get mad at Happy Holidays can go f*** themselves.
I do the same--if they say it first, then I'll say it back. That picture is great. And, couldn't agree more with your last statement.

Envy, that is very true.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

Though, the CHRISTmas brigade really boils my blood, I just try to ignore it.
Agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Christmas is christmas, it's normal to wish it in a country where most of people celebrate it. Wishing it to strangers is part of the "christmas spirit" wich still exist in some countries but quickly disapears in the "developped countries" in favor of a commercial christmas based more on holydays and presents than religion.

I consider it important to wish merry christmas to strangers, if they don't celebrate it, they are most probably a minority ( otherwise i don't think you would ask this question ), and as such shouldn't take offence of a widespread tradition in the place they live.

What's more they wouldn't have those hollydays if not for chritmas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
I was raised in the church so I understand those who want to keep Christ in Christmas. I understand the frustration of Christians that don't like seeing the occasion as a reason for commercialism and excess. I also understand those who are entirely non-religious and whose definition of Christmas is one of Santa, elves, gifts, and coloured lights. It's all in fun; people always want an excuse to have great food, family time, etc during the winter. I wish we did have a inclusive secular holiday that everyone could celebrate in the winter, regardless of religious beliefs. Oh a perfect world :)

That said, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it, and Happy Holidays to all others! :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
Maybe.

I don't think I would mind if I was wished a merry *enter holiday here* if I were to visit a foreign country.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

I understand the frustration of Christians that don't like seeing the occasion as a reason for commercialism and excess.
I completely understand that, the thing is, the people who I see commercialize Christmas the most are Christians. The ones who gripe are often the ones who have giant Santa decorations on their lawns, spend the most on gifts, and lead their kids to believe in Santa. If they really wanted it to be about Christ, they would get rid of the tradition of Santa, stop buying their kids big ticket items they don't need, and do something good like volunteer at a soup kitchen on Christmas. THAT would be the CHRISTmas spirit.

The weirdest thing was this holiday was originally a pagan festival, now masquerading as Christian one. Why do Christians think they now own the whole month?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

What's more they wouldn't have those hollydays if not for chritmas.
Not sure what you mean by this statement? Could you explain?
 

·
Beginner's Mind
Joined
·
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post

Not sure what you mean by this statement? Could you explain?
Yeah, cause Hanukkah, for example, dates back to 165 B.C. and Christmas didn't start until around 350 A.D.
I think it's definitely a Christian on Christian argument. I hear people offended at the idea that saying "Merry Christmas" might be offensive, and I hear people offended at people being offended at that idea, but I never hear anyone actually offended at anyone saying "Merry Christmas." It's just the religious right venting their resentment of the religious left. Freaking control freaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
I would never be offended by somebody wishing me a Merry Christmas, anymore than I would be offended by someone wishing me a Happy Hanukkah. I simply assume that this person is extending good tidings to me with respect to their own religious beliefs, and although I may not share them, I always appreciate the spirit in which they are intended. Christianity has taken somewhat of a beating lately, so it's easier to pick on those who say Merry Christmas. But in practice, I try to thank everyone who extends a positive greeting toward me regardless of circumstance, and I do so in the same language that it was received. Whatever that language may be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I would never be offended by somebody wishing me a Merry Christmas, anymore than I would be offended by someone wishing me a Happy Hanukkah. I simply assume that this person is extending good tidings to me with respect to their own religious beliefs, and although I may not share them, I always appreciate the spirit in which they are intended. Christianity has taken somewhat of a beating lately, so it's easier to pick on those who say Merry Christmas. But in practice, I try to thank everyone who extends a positive greeting toward me regardless of circumstance, and I do so in the same language that it was received. Whatever that language may be.
Well said.


I tend to get offended when people go out of their way to remove my well wishes and extend their own agenda. For example, when I say, "Happy Holidays", and they come back with, "it's Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays". My wife's boss said that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
i say happy holidays because i like to spread the joy i get from christmas time and i think it's the best way to be inclusive of most people's belief. the people i know that i've wished happy holidays to are christian, jewish, muslim, wiccan, atheist, and probably a few other things. my best friend is jewish. i wish her happy hannukah and she wishes me merry christmas.
 

·
Beginner's Mind
Joined
·
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post

Well said.


I tend to get offended when people go out of their way to remove my well wishes and extend their own agenda. For example, when I say, "Happy Holidays", and they come back with, "it's Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays". My wife's boss said that...
Well then, you can just forget about having a happy New Year!
 
1 - 20 of 183 Posts
Top