VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.happyherbivore.com/2011/1...vegan-anymore/

What does everyone make of this? Personally, it seems like this girl was far too sensitive. Of course vegans are going to point out if you do something unvegan after you've built a career on being vegan. No one likes a hypocrite! But instead of holding her hands up and admitting making a mistake, she's thrown her toys out the pram and declared "i'm not vegan anymore". I hate seeing vegans who have a following renouncing veganism and bad mouthing the cause.

But hey, maybe I'm the sensitive one here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with both sides of this argument. I can see where both are coming from. I've experienced what she is talking about and really did not find it productive in any way at all. But, like you said I wasn't so sensitive about it. If you're vegan then you're doing it for reasons that somebody being rude or a jerk will not dissuade. That would be like saying you're of a certain faith or religion and then somebody in that religion was rude to you and then you decided "Well, this is a horrible faith. I'm done with it. Not only that I'm gonna go bash it on my blog." I understand her frustration...but, come on. Man up. lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think that's part of the problem with being a "public vegan", especially on the Internet, people are likely to be jerks. A conversation in person about the veganness of unsourced sugar is usually way more civil than one on the internet.

I don't *think* she's given up living cruelty-free (she said she's still eating a plant-based diet), just the label "vegan", which is fair.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroythenight View Post

http://www.happyherbivore.com/2011/1...vegan-anymore/

What does everyone make of this? Personally, it seems like this girl was far too sensitive. Of course vegans are going to point out if you do something unvegan after you've built a career on being vegan. No one likes a hypocrite! But instead of holding her hands up and admitting making a mistake, she's thrown her toys out the pram and declared "i'm not vegan anymore". I hate seeing vegans who have a following renouncing veganism and bad mouthing the cause.

But hey, maybe I'm the sensitive one here.
I agree, this struck me as a very high school reaction.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

I think that's part of the problem with being a "public vegan", especially on the Internet, people are likely to be jerks. A conversation in person about the veganness of unsourced sugar is usually way more civil than one on the internet.

I don't *think* she's given up living cruelty-free (she said she's still eating a plant-based diet), just the label "vegan", which is fair.
On further observation it looks like she eats honey too, so I have a better understanding of why she's dropping the label now. Makes sense.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I don't think she's being over sensitive at all. Things got really crazy on her FB page the other day and it got really ugly with the nasty comments and attacks.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I scanned her post. Agreed that being public about being vegan can change everything. I'm the only vegan I know. The idea that all vegans get along or there is this vegan "community" is something I don't agree with. At least not from my view.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I agree with her post. I eat a plant based diet, don't use animal products, but there's still all those "out of reach variables" you can not really do much about. Like animals killed trying to eat your organic plant produce on farms. Our CO2 emissions. Deforestation and hydro power stations. Humans will always directly affect animals, unless we go back to living in caves and eat crops in which we let wildlife eat from, which will then reduce our food stores and lead to depopulation, etc...

I know I can be a hard critic a lot of the time, bu sometimes even I feel like handing in my vegan card and telling people, "oh hi, I eat a plant based diet, don't consume or use any animal based products, and really care about nature and the environment. What is a vegan?"

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I don't think she's being over sensitive at all. Things got really crazy on her FB page the other day and it got really ugly with the nasty comments and attacks.
I guess she deleted a bunch of comments since then? I did a lot of scrolling and all the comments seemed overwhelmingly positive.

Some of the posts on that honey thread though.... There's a difference between being the "vegan police" and understanding that calling yourself a vegan while eating hamburgers occasionally and honey every day makes no sense

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with a lot of what she said in the post. It did sound a bit like she was throwing a tantrum at first, but it also sounds like she was entitled to a little tantrum throwing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I scanned her post. Agreed that being public about being vegan can change everything. I'm the only vegan I know. The idea that all vegans get along or there is this vegan "community" is something I don't agree with. At least not from my view.
Agreed. This point makes me happy that I'm the only vegan I actually know because I would want to be friends with them but, I know I probably couldn't be lol

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I think that as veganism and vegetarianism is such a controversial thing in society, being a public vegan or vegetarian will end up generating multiple online clusterf***s on your facebook page and that is what she has experienced. I dont blame her for being weary of all the drama. I hope that she continues to focus on her cause though and not let herself be deterred from doing what she wants to do.

I saw some of the comments on her page and it appeared to be an argument between an omni woman and a very angry vegan man who was writing in livid capital letters. But I am not sure what it had to do with her, it didnt seem to be directed at her, but all the same I can see why she wouldnt want it taking place on her wall.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I think it's sad.

This stuff happens in other movements too. I can't tell you how many women I know say they used to call themselves feminists but now they don't. Unfortunately even if they start calling themselves womanists or something else they still tend to withdraw from the movement in general.

Instead of changing her behaviors or changing her understanding of the word vegan she chose to abandon it entirely and at the same time paint all vegans as extremists, meanies, and hairsplitters. While i can certainly understand her reaction from an emotional perspective, I don't think she was acting from a place of compassion for animals when she declared that she's not vegan anymore. I don't think her announcement will encourage others to adopt a plant based diet; I think it just divides the animal movement further.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
^ Good point. I think on the whole though she is a sort of "omni oriented" vegetarian. I have her book and it seems to be geared towards encouraging omnis to try her food, and cooking for new vegetarians. Which is a good thing as it encourages people who are omnis to look at flexitarianism etc. I think that is sort of how she is so perhaps she shouldnt be a vegan anyway.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Sad
I can see why she posted what she did. I've been attacked by the "veg*n police," it really is off putting. It's the reason I failed at being a vegetarian at the very beginning. And it's the reason I'll never identify as a vegan because I'll never be perfect.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Elaine, I saw your post on her blog. There are a few or at least a blog post about honey....there were some nasty comments like "epic fail", where it wasn't an epic fail at all....that would be like going out and intentionally eating a burger.

anyway, I think too, that she's just giving up the title, and sticking with plant based food recipes...

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I have seen both sides of this argument. I'm not on her FB page, and it was usually searching recipes that occasionally I'd find her blog. Having said that, I cannot vouch for whether she "ate cotton candy at a ball game." whether it was vegan or not, and I've seen the vegan police here on vb get ugly, too. It's why I tend to stay away from labels altogether. Yes, I've made vegan food things, because of food allergies, not because of factory farming, or animal rights reasons. That is, for those who gave up eating meat, eggs, dairy and wearing animal byproducts (wool and leather come to mind, I'm sure there's more then that, though) because of animal rights, can, for the most part, go back eating (baking with) eggs and dairy, and no one will get ill. It might take awhile for your body to acclaimate to your new diet, but you'll be fine. If I do this, it'd have to be for myself, as I have one family member with an egg allergy and another with a dairy allergy. Believe me, I'm far from perfect, and am careful about what I post on the internet.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I read the blog post linked to in the OP which I didn't see anything wrong with. In another blog post she seemed a bit flakey on the question of honey. Nothing a nice re-education camp in Siberia couldn't fix.

(Disclaimer: This post contains a joke.)

1 - 20 of 231 Posts