·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: so far, Happy Feet has swam just 7-km, but at least he's headed in the right direction. He has about 1000-miles to go. He's been released in an area where there are other penguins swimming in the migratory route. He's fitted with a GPS device, and they say he has as good a chance of making it as any of them.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I was telling my daughter about this story and she asked why they couldn't have released the penguin closer to home...now I'm wondering the same thing. I guess if it were an option, they would have done so.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking the ocean and the long swims are just as much home for penguins as dry land.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Happy Feet's progress

7 September 2011

Our bird has made a gain of 22 kms further toward home over the last 24 hours, a good performance pushing pretty much southward. More pertinently hes also put an additional 6kms between him and the sandy beaches of Campbell island overnight. He seems to be swimming between 2-3 kph today, a bit slower than yesterday this includes an hour when he seemed to get distracted and put on no distance at all. Wonder whats caught his interest?
http://www.ourfarsouth.org/Track-Happy-Feet.aspx

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy Feet's transmitter is no longer sending signals, so we may never know what's happened to him.

Quote:
Scientists say there's an outside possibility they may again hear from Happy Feet. The penguin also has been fitted with a transponder chip under his skin, similar to those used to identify household cats and dogs. The chip will be activated if the penguin turns up near certain monitored emperor colonies in Antarctica.
Here's to ya, Happy!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44495458...d_environment/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts