VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be spending tonight going to the public menorah lighting and after party, as well as nomming on as many fried foods as I can get my hands on!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Hope you're having a good time at your Chanukah/Hanukkah.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Q. What did the rabbi say when he had an audience with the Pope on the first night of Chanukah?
A. Gut yontiff, pontiff.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Q. What did the rabbi say when he had an audience with the Pope on the first night of Chanukah?
A. Gut yontiff, pontiff.

Heres the community public menorah, and then my lil one after it:

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
What exactly is a menorah and what does it signify? Is it unique to Chanukah?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

What exactly is a menorah and what does it signify? Is it unique to Chanukah?
No, it's just a candelabra, the celebration of Chanukah uses a menorah (plus one branch) to signify a made up miracle in the second century BCE, when the holiday originally was meant to commemorate a military victory.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Ah! Thank you. Happy Chanukah!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I say Happy Hannukah but anyhow a Menorah is symbol of eight days of oil. I Observe both Hannukah and Christmas also.
No, not really. "The Menorah" is a symbol of a theoretical miracle, A menorah is a candelabra in the Temple. A Chanukah Menorah has seven branches, and a watch candle, a regular menorah for the Temple had nine branches.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I don't know much about Chanukah, except what I learned on Blue's Clues, but if you say there's fried food it sounds like a fantastic holiday

Happy Chanukah!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

No, not really. "The Menorah" is a symbol of a theoretical miracle, A menorah is a candelabra in the Temple. A Chanukah Menorah has seven branches, and a watch candle, a regular menorah for the Temple had nine branches.
I hate to say this but it was a celebration of 8 days of Oil that God gave the people back in the old testiment days that is where the Menorah comes by, I understand what your saying but, what I read Hannukah is celebration of 8 days of oil they recieved and that is why its called festival of lights.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
That's right, school River on her heritage! That'll learn 'er!

Ahem. Anyway, happy Chanukah.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I hate to say this but it was a celebration of 8 days of Oil that God gave the people back in the old testiment days that is where the Menorah comes by, I understand what your saying but, what I read Hannukah is celebration of 8 days of oil they recieved and that is why its called festival of lights.
Actually, it wasn't originally. It was originally celebrated as a military victory. And still is in Israel. The miracle wasn't even written about until much later in the Talmud, long after the victory of the Maccabees was recorded. It's likely they invented the miracle to get people back into the holiday. Also, It's also celebrating the rededication of the temple IE: When they reblessed it and relit the menorah, that was already there.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Actually, it wasn't originally. It was originally celebrated as a military victory. And still is in Israel. The miracle wasn't even written about until much later in the Talmud, long after the victory of the Maccabees was recorded. It's likely they invented the miracle to get people back into the holiday. Also, It's also celebrating the rededication of the temple IE: When they reblessed it and relit the menorah, that was already there.
Edit: This is also apparent how when in the New Testement, Jesus calls it the feast of dedication, in honor of the rededication of the temple.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts