VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a stage swing band in my city that travels around and does parties and shows, 1940s big band type music. I'm on the call list and got requested to play 3rd trombone at a big party in Raleigh last night because their regular 3rd boner was sick. I wound up driving to the gig and carrying another regular player in this band who is a friend and has no job or reliable car. Well it was a sorority alum reunion type party and the alcohol started flowing after the last set; the sorority ladies did their best to get us to help clean out their bar. I wound up riding back with the sound crew in their truck, leaving my car over an hour away (I've still got to go get it today, grrr).

Anyway I woke up this morning in a hurry to get to another performance at a church and I'm tellin you, I was DRAGGING. I just can't drink hard anymore because it hurts me a LOT more than it used to when I was younger. I hurriedly gulped down my standard hangover remedy, which is 3 Advils, a large glass of water and a tablespoon of honey, and scrambled over to the church. I'm feeling a bit better now but does anyone know of a better treatment for hangover than mine? I'm VERY open to suggestion here . . .

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outstanding suggestion, Marie, but I'm shackled with this sense of obligation to never receive more than I give . . . .

How are you feeling today??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, of course your presence has, as always, brightened my outlook and disposition.

I've gotta go get my car as soon as I find a driver. I'm supposed to play AGAIN tonight (bass this time) with a gospel group . . . .

I swear, I don't know WHEN I'm going to find time to practice law . . . .

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Ha! I homed in on this thread like an FBI bug. I've been tee total for a year nearly [health issues/knackered liver] and today I decided that I'd had such a bad day at work and it's such a bugger of a thunderstorm and my DH is 150 miles away for a week-- that I'd polish off a bottle of champagne on my own, I'm 2/3 down it and will soon pass out. Why was my day bad? For starters I saw two dead fox cubs in the road together, then I tried to rescue a kid's football from an eight foot high hedge and the fence I was standing on collapsed and I went head first into the hedge and then a 94 year old lady was parked in her wheel chair by her elderly daughter, looking out to sea and all alone, but the brakes weren't on and she rolled into the sea and then the parking pole that the ambulance tried to lift to drive to drive down the prom was rusted and wouldn't shift so they had to launch a life boat from the other side of the bay even though a fireman had dived in and rescued her from the sea and hauled her onto the beach.

Urrgh, I'm pissed.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Spud! Sounds like something out of a movie!

Remedies for a hangover- well, I've tried just about everything. Usually fresh air and exercise is the best. Go for a walk or a swim.

Booster Juice or something similar (a fruit smoothie).

Dry toast

Last but not least, make yourself vomit. Even the dry heaves make me feel better.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Well, whatever you do, don't take tylenol or anything containing acetaminophen, it can cause liver damage.

What have I done? I guess I just try to hydrate myself, puke if I have to, and take lots of vitamins and wait it out.

I have had a similar experience, I get sick more often as I get older. Perhaps we loose certain enzymes like many of us do with dairy digestion. I never even get drunk anymore.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thalia, yes I try to avoid Tylenol at times like these for that very reason, but do prefer it for sinus headaches over Advil, I think it's more effective for those.

I also try to drink a lot of water, and the raw honey is an old "remedy" that my relatives all recommended; many of them are well seasoned at suffering from drinking . . .

Spud, for Heaven's sake, that sounds like a Seinfeld episode! WOW!

·
Registered
701 Posts
My all-time favorite remedy is Diet Coke. I know it's the root of all evils, but here's why it works: (1) the caffeine helps the headache, (2) coke syrup soothes the stomach, and (3) the cold, bubbly sensation refreshes and awakens.
I know, I know... But I couldn't have gotten through college without this magical elixir. (And no, regular coke is not the same because the sugar can upset your stomach first thing in the morning)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Diet coke isn't taboo, it's just unhealthy. I agree, it is a good hangover cure, that and a long walk.

I could be worse I suppose...

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I only get a hangover from beer or wine, never from vodka.

Drink Water, water, water, water, water...

When I'm drunk and go to bed, I drink two or three glasses of water. When I have to go to the loo at night, I drink again a couple of glasses of water. This helps very good.

Your body needs water to process the alcohol.....

Water, water, water.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I agree with 1vegan, drink water. Drink water between alcoholic drinks, before bed and (if you can ) in the morning.

Funny hangover story- 2 weeks ago, my son was at my in-laws for the night, so my husband and I went to see our friend's band play their last show. I had learned my lesson of drinking too much and being hung over with a toddler ( not a good combo ) last sumer. Anyway, I drank waaaay to much at the bar, stumbled home (we always walk to the bar ), and that's pretty much all I remember until 4 in the morning. At that time I woke up in my son's bed! How did that happen?!! I guess I had been dreaming he woke up, and I went into his room. When I woke up thoough, I had to puke and I had trouble geting out of his bed because of the saftey bed rail. I would have never forgiven myself if I threw up in his bed. My husband would have never let me live it down either. I spent the whole next day at my in-laws, laying on the couch, getting up periodically to puke.

Now I've really learned my lesson, again.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by punkmommy

Now I've really learned my lesson, again.
If I had a £1 for every time I've said that...

Here's the start of a poem I wrote today.

To the Goddess of Narrow Escapes

I offer you a thousand thanks.

I bow to your far-sighted wisdom;

You saved me from myself.

[yet again]

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Ceryna's Reasonably Successful Hangover Prevention Technique:

Drink a glass of water for every alcoholic drink.

Never drink on an empty stomach.

Take a walk, drink a big glass of water and take two Advil before going to sleep.

Remember the old adage...liquor before beer, never fear...beer before liquor, never been sicker. XD

I'd love to offer up some special old family recipe for an instant hangover cure, but my family is Baptist. Heh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts