VeggieBoards banner

handwashing clothes

4K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Coney 
#1 ·
I hate how much water and electicity I waste washing my clothes in the machine. Do you think it would be too much work and sanitary enough (panties) if I did it in the bathtub. Is this a far-fetched idea. If not, any ideas on how I should do it?

#2 ·
i wud save alot on of water and elecricity ! and money too !

but i would really take you along time and may not get the job done as good so maybe get a friends laundry and share mashines like put both of your stuff in together

or

you cud like use reeused water !

i dont know what from but hopefully water that is quite clean

#3 ·
Handwashing your clothes would save some electricity and water, but wouldn't get your clothes nearly as clean, and would probably take a lot of time. Most newer washers use far less water than they used to (15-20 gallons, as opposed to 35 or 40), and washers don't use THAT much electricity. Dryers, on the other hand, use a huge amount of electricity (although they're getting better, too).

For me, I don't have time to hand wash all of my clothes, sheets, towels, etc., so I just make sure that I always wash full loads (small loads use just as much electricity as large ones), and I hang my clothes out on a line as much as possible. And maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't wear clothes once and then put them in the laundry (except for underwear). Unless they smell (like gym clothes), or have visible dirt (like working outside or camping), I can get 2-3 wearings out of pants and shirts.

#4 ·
We just bought a front-loading washing machine and they are very efficient and have a lot of different settings for shorter cycles, etc. You may want to look into something like that. And because it's front loading it's much gentler on your clothes and makes them last longer. You do have to use special detergent with them, the kind with the "HE" on the front (high efficiency), but you can get it at most grocery stores now.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by firebird_81

Dryers, on the other hand, use a huge amount of electricity (although they're getting better, too).
Indeed, I think that cutting down, if not eliminating dryer useage would go a log way. I use one, but only for about half my loads, and when I do use it, I air-dry the stuff half-way and throw them in for 10-15 minutes.

#7 ·
I think it would be hard to get them as clean. But what I do is wear my clothes 2 times before washing them (unless they stink or have grass stains etc) that way they are still clean and you are doing laundry only half as much as if you wash them after every one time you wear them. so it helps save water and electricity that way. Just a thought i guess

#8 ·
washing machines and dishwashers could actually save water. dunno about energy though. what really wastes water is flushing the toilet. 45% of all water used up in a household is toilet water. so you could a) get a swiss toilet with 2 different flushes for liquid and solid waste, or b) eat less.

#10 ·
okay.....NEVER AGAIN will I try cleaning my clothes in the bathtub. Way too much work. I think I wasted more water doing it that way. Guess I should have just tried it before asking everyone because theat would have been my answer. I'll use your ideas to save water in other ways. Thanks.

#11 ·
lol ssm.

Epinephrine, I've never heard of those toilets, but they sound facinating (that's genuine, no matter how sarcastic it must look
). I've always wanted to have a urinal in my house as well as a toilet (just to save water). I don't understand why no one has them in their house. They make really great cubby urinals that hide into the wall when not in use.

Someday... I'm going to have one.

Just got to keep my hopes high.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Epinephrine

45% of all water used up in a household is toilet water. so you could a) get a swiss toilet with 2 different flushes for liquid and solid waste, or b) eat less.
Another argument omnis try to use against us: vegans eat more fiber, thus produce more waste, thus use up more water for flushing the toilet. Also, I heard people actually argue that people that eat more fiber produce more gas and thus pollute the air...

man omnis seem desperate sometimes

#17 ·
the washer is a simple device that allows you to put detergent and your clothes. It has a top that you screw on, and tighten. The body of the washer spins around as you crank it, and as you are doing that, it builds pressure, forcing the detergent into the clothes.

You then can drain the water in the body using the spout that attaches to the bottom, and opens it up a little to drain water.

Kinda of a simple concept, but it does a decent job on clothes. I then wring out my clothes and hang them to dry.

The dryer.. is a simple cloth bag that you attach a hair dryer to on the very top, you hang clothes on a plasic hanger, and zip the garmet into the cloth bag, the heat then dries the object. I use this mostly for jeans or items that take a while to drip dry.

Granted, this is not as good as a washer if you have to wash undies and such, but it does a really decent job. I have to use a coin-operated laundremat. This saves me money, and the hassle of lugging the clothes to an outside establishment.

#19 ·
I came across the site, cause I was looking for alternatives to washing clothes. I was looking into the washer/dryer in one units, but they were out of my price range. I then came across this site.

You have to be patient, it does take a little more effort to wash your clothes by hand. But no one steals my clothes anymore, that is for sure.

#21 ·
Adding a water softener (like borax) would help you use less soap, and maybe let you get away with less water.

I would think that those super efficient front loading washers would be more efficient than by hand.

When I have washed clothes by hand, I use a soft scrub brush to get the clothes a little cleaner. You can also do it assemply line style sort of. Only fill a small container with soapy water, just enough to do one pair of undies at a time. Create a little pile of the washed ones, and then rinse all at once in a larger container. Try to use only a little soap, and you won't have to rinse as much.

#22 ·
How many articles of clothing does it hold at once? And do you find that you get stains out effectively?

I've heard of another small (homemade) washing device that uses a plunger. Anyone know about those?

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzicfan

the washer is a simple device that allows you to put detergent and your clothes. It has a top that you screw on, and tighten. The body of the washer spins around as you crank it, and as you are doing that, it builds pressure, forcing the detergent into the clothes.

#25 ·
i recently read somewhere that if you have new appliances (purchased within the last ten years), then you have very water and energy efficient models that use less electricity than older models, as well as less water.

according to whatever i read whereever it was, hand washing both clothes and dishes uses more water, because it isn't regulated by th emachine. liots of room for error.

i'm bugged by the fact tha ti must use my dryer. I can't line dry anthing outside (neighborhood regulations), but i do have a small line dryer for most of my clothes--more than 1/2 of which can be lined dried (and should be) on the little thingy. but the other half has to go in the dryer. OH well!

#26 ·
I have a couple line dry things in my apt that i use. One goes in my tub, and I put the clothes there first, and the second hooks on the back of a door, and I use that for slightly damp items. Seems to work well, and I dont have unsightly clothes hanging outside my apt. door.

I know most places wont allow this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.