VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a newbie vegetarian and have been avoiding certain social situations because I am not sure how to handle them. I have one coming up that I cannot avoid. This group of friends likes to go to sport bars and order a whole bunch of appetizers to share. How should I go about telling them that I would like to order just a salad without offending the person organizing it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
just be up front about it - the longer you draw things out the more awkward they will get.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I guess you'll just have to explain that you've decided to become vegetarian and therefore can't eat stuff with meat, fish etc, but that you're happy to eat anything vegetarian. If you know the place you're going to, maybe you can find out in advance what is vegetarian or not. You could also offer to order your own food, if that is more convenient.

Btw, welcome to VB!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masako View Post

How should I go about telling them that I would like to order just a salad without offending the person organizing it?
I would just tell them "I'm a vegetarian", but if you don't feel like you can tell them that you are a vegetarian, just tell them that you don't eat meat, if they ask why, just say that you don't like the taste. Most people won't argue about taste preferences.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just be upfront about it and make sure at least one of the appetizers they order is veg. If they are friends you've known for awhile expect them to have questions, and answer honestly but without being judgmental.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masako View Post

Hi I am a newbie vegetarian and have been avoiding certain social situations because I am not sure how to handle them. I have one coming up that I cannot avoid. This group of friends likes to go to sport bars and order a whole bunch of appetizers to share. How should I go about telling them that I would like to order just a salad without offending the person organizing it?
Just say, I'd like a salad. If the person organizing it is offended by that, they are a moron, seriously.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
How about french fries? Everyone likes those and they should be available at a sports bar. Assuming this is not McDonalds, they are generally vegetarian. They might have some other veggie stuff like nachos (you might have to have them leave off any meaty toppings) or onion rings.

Just offer to order and pay for your stuff separately, and definitely offer to share your food with everyone else!

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
just tell them straightup, I'm a vegetarian now so no meat for me

haha , that's how i told my friends and parents! I didn't preach or anything and I think that's why they didn't spazz!

on a side note, the problem i have when going out to eat with omnis is that when they're is nothing really veg friendly ....i refuse to eat frenchfries. They're really unhealthy, high calorie and I care a lot about my appearance so I just sit there and order a plain salad and everyone gets a little pissy =/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

....i refuse to eat frenchfries. They're really unhealthy, high calorie and I care a lot about my appearance so I just sit there and order a plain salad and everyone gets a little pissy =/
How DARE you eat healthily!

To the OP, as many others have stated, just be straight up about it. Be confident about the reasons for your position if you are asked, but don't preach the reasons if you are not asked. Good people will generally react with either apathy or curiosity

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
why would they be offended? my frinds are fine with it. food shouldn't be the most important part of the get together

·
Registered
682 Posts
In my experience, telling people is difficult only with people who get defensive. Obviously it would be a mistake to suddenly announce "I am offended by the needless torture and killing of defenseless animals so I refuse to eat them! Deal with it!" But with some people, even if you only say "I am a vegetarian now." They will sort of assume that you are saying something is morally wrong with their diet, and feel attacked. Then they get defensive and start trying to convince you that eating meat is proper and right and the only way. With these people, I just stay quiet and don't engage them. If you do it just feeds the fire.

Just my 2 cents - good luck with this!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:

just tell them straightup, I'm a vegetarian now so no meat for me

haha , that's how i told my friends and parents! I didn't preach or anything and I think that's why they didn't spazz!

on a side note, the problem i have when going out to eat with omnis is that when they're is nothing really veg friendly ....i refuse to eat frenchfries. They're really unhealthy, high calorie and I care a lot about my appearance so I just sit there and order a plain salad and everyone gets a little pissy =/
Good for you for sticking to your guns! Eating healthily in social situations can be hard. I've noticed that people sometimes feel awkward about it. I normally eat healthily too. I splurged one time this whole month and gained almost 2 lbs. Now I have to be extra vigilant for a couple of weeks. Splurges just aren't worth it.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:

A few french fries shared with friends now and then aren't going to make you gain weight. Your refusal of french fries has nothing to do with being vegetarian.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

A few french fries shared with friends now and then aren't going to make you gain weight. Your refusal of french fries has nothing to do with being vegetarian.
it causes my friends to think negatively about vegetarianism. So that would mean it is relevant so this topic and being a vegetarian.
sheeeeeesh

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling View Post

Good for you for sticking to your guns! Eating healthily in social situations can be hard. I've noticed that people sometimes feel awkward about it. I normally eat healthily too. I splurged one time this whole month and gained almost 2 lbs. Now I have to be extra vigilant for a couple of weeks. Splurges just aren't worth it.
i agree

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:

it causes my friends to think negatively about vegetarianism. So that would mean it is relevant so this topic and being a vegetarian.
sheeeeeesh
Fair enough. But vegetarians can certainly eat french fries -- sometimes people get the idea that vegetarian food has to be 100% healthy all of the time. That isn't the case, and I wouldn't want to lead a new vegetarian down that road.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Fair enough. But vegetarians can certainly eat french fries -- sometimes people get the idea that vegetarian food has to be 100% healthy all of the time. That isn't the case, and I wouldn't want to lead a new vegetarian down that road.
oh yeah I'm quite aware that vegetarians can eat unhealthily. I'm just someone who cannot eat unhealthy food without feeling guilty after.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts