VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTH!

Here, I've been proud that I've been Veg*n for 6 weeks and lo and behold! I discover that people have been sneaking beef broth into my minestrone soup!

Now, I know (from reaction of others) that this is, apparently, common knowledge. But, since I didn't really cook as an omnivore, I thought it was a reasonable assumption that my minestrone soup was made from vegetables, noodles, and water! :-\\

So, now I have to hand in my one-month card/chip. It's probably more like 3 weeks now. :'(

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Eating animal products when you truly were ignorant that they were being consumed doesn't take away from your intent. Keep learning!

·
Registered
42 Posts
congrats on 6 weeks that is so awesome (the first month or so is the most difficult, the rest is easy street) ! I have been vegetarian for many years but vegan for just the past seven months. Its an exciting accomplishment and one of the choices I am most proud of making in my whole life. Keep up the great work! You will find in your pursuit of veganism that these accidents do happen frequently and that veganism is about a lifestyle choice of empathy and compassion, it is not about being a purist who never comes into contact or "taints" their body with animal products. keep your eyes set on the bigger picture of things and keep doing what your doing.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

WTH!

Here, I've been proud that I've been Veg*n for 6 weeks and lo and behold! I discover that people have been sneaking beef broth into my minestrone soup!

Now, I know (from reaction of others) that this is, apparently, common knowledge. But, since I didn't really cook as an omnivore, I thought it was a reasonable assumption that my minestrone soup was made from vegetables, noodles, and water! :-\\

So, now I have to hand in my one-month card/chip. It's probably more like 3 weeks now. :'(
Keep the card, man. **** happens. I actually have had people in the past sabotage me multiple times because they are psychopaths. I've also bought stuff that I swear was vegan, then after 1/2 a bite and re-reading the ingredients list, I see something stupid like "lactic acid".

It's a journey, I doubt anyone is the quintessential vegan. It doesn't exist. It's all about learning experiences, taking things in stride, and building your knowledge. Knowledge is power after all.

The best advice I can give is make everything yourself. I haven't not made my meals for months. No tomfoolery.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It's no big deal. Just live and learn.

I remember the first time I found out there was meat broth in my veggie soup.. I went ballistic on the poor server. Yikes!, now I just make sure I know what's in my food ahead of time.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I did the same thing the first few weeks I went vegetarian. I had been eating wonton soup and I wondered if it could have any meat products in it. Sure enough, it did. Then I started researching everything I ate.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Keep the card, man. **** happens. I actually have had people in the past sabotage me multiple times because they are psychopaths. I've also bought stuff that I swear was vegan, then after 1/2 a bite and re-reading the ingredients list, I see something stupid like "lactic acid".

It's a journey, I doubt anyone is the quintessential vegan. It doesn't exist. It's all about learning experiences, taking things in stride, and building your knowledge. Knowledge is power after all.

The best advice I can give is make everything yourself. I haven't not made my meals for months. No tomfoolery.
And Hazelnut just posted this link about lactic acid.

http://lactic-acid.com/production_process.html

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:

WTH!

I personally guarantee you that 3, 6, and 10 years from now, you will still accidentally eat animal products.

It's normal to make mistakes, read labels too quickly, make assumptions, and also being lied to. Someone may not even intentionally lie to you. After 3.5 years, the people I'm surrounded by still don't seem to get it... and you may be told that something is veg*n because they pulled out the bacon that it was flavored with.

Over time, you will really appreciate those around you who will stop you from eating something sketchy. Like: "Hey, wait! Don't eat that corn on the cob! I overheard the hostess bragging about covering the corn in bacon grease before grilling them!"

So... You can keep your vegan card, but you'll have to hand in your vegan super powers. You will get your super powers back after a probationary period of 1 week.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I agree with everyone else, you didn't choose to eat animal products, it wasn't your fault, you're not any less vegan. I do wonder though, who is it that's been sneaking beef broth into your soup, and why? They sound like either over-concerned parents or knobs.

Keep going, you live and you learn.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

And Hazelnut just posted this link about lactic acid.

http://lactic-acid.com/production_process.html
I'm famous!!!

Anyway, I'm not specifically endorsing that website or company. I was quickly Googling through the internet trying to find something tangible since wiki's page on lactic acid dropped the phrase about lactic acid being specifically vegan. Wiki does still state that while it is present in animal products because it is a byproduct of normal cellular functions, it is produced in industry by bacteria.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:

WTH!

Here you go!
http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...__-quot-Thread...

·
Registered
47 Posts
You didn't do it knowingly, and you certainly don't have to return your card! I agree with all the others! You learn as you go and and you will continue to learn things. There will be ingredients that sound nothing like they are animal derived and later you find that they are.
Quote:

KrisMTL said it perfectly! You just need to keep on truckin', don't get discouraged, and learn from it! And making things at home, although not always the most convenient thing to do, is the best way to make sure you are sticking to your diet. Just research and don't beat yourself up!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I agree with everyone else
No worries just move on.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I do appreciate it!

I didn't mean to imply someone really snuck it into my soup; I was just floridly describing my own ignorance.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think it's safe to say similar things have happened to all of us at some point, why it happened to me just a couple of weeks ago. You learn and move on, don't feel too bad.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I think your six weeks is still commendable! Keep it up!

·
Registered
908 Posts
With lactic acid it's like uric acid - these days, ointment with uric acid is no longer made from pee, it's just retained it's name

1 - 20 of 27 Posts