VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Week #26

Please do all posting here and let the other thread go.

Mission: The Veggies Boards Hamster Club, is a group of fitness/health minded vegans and vegetarians who support each other in their endeavors in fitness, diet, and health. Anyone who chooses can post to this thread. There are no dues or fees, just a desire to share our efforts and support one another. Let's hear from you all!!!!

Its a new week....let's rock!!!

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Today : first a short walk - 25 min, thenlater a longer walk, about 50 min.

Saw a hedgefrog and a bat. Oh and lots of birds of course.

These days it almost doesen't get dark. Right now it's 12.20 in the evening and allthough it's a little darker than it was earlier, it's certainly not very dark. Feels like summer. (Right.. it is)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today biked 11 miles.

Welcome Kitzy! Wow! That's a lot of cycling! It takes me about a week to get that many miles in.

Azalea, you're doing great on the walking. You live in such a neat place!

I hope things pick up during the week. It's been slow here. I miss you missing hamsters!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Yesterday: Just a ton of walking around because Dave (my fiance) graduated from ucsb and our parents met for the first time ever.
Oh yeah, and we moved a bunch of furnature out of our apartment which seemed alot harder than some of my long runs.

Today: 3 mile run. Beautiful day out. There were half naked surfers standing around giving high fives to all the runners running by.
It was kind of funny.

Azalea, you sure do see neat animals when you walk. Thats awsome.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I just found out that the bike log link I gave above can be used for severaly types and combinations of exercise including walking, running, cycling, swimming, and inline skating. It has cool charts and graphs too.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Today: 2 hour brisk walk and 2 hours of tap dancing.

I laughed so much today I think I ought to count it as exercise... I can certainly feel it in my abs.

Who has the hamster roster these days? We need to find our missing hamsters!

·
Registered
0 Posts
The new place I'll be working in 2 weeks (/cheer) is young and active. In fact, they invited me to a 100km relay race, which each person doing about 11km each. Alas, I turned them down.

So, yesterday, after 6 years of a running-free existence, I tried once again to jog. After all, 6 years ago, I could jog for 2 hours straight, despite my asthma making me sound like I was about to die.

I walked for 5 minutes, warming my legs up. I did stretches. And then I started jogging. I got about 15 seconds into it and I thought I would die. 30 seconds in and I was convinced I would die. 1 minute in and I knew I would die if I didn't stop.

Over the span of the next 25 minutes, most of it was spent walking off the scattered 5 minutes of jogging I did.

Feeling bad about this failure, I did another 45 minutes of walking in the evening, with the plan to try a little jog again today.

My thighs hurt so badly today that I swear someone beat me while I slept. Having been beaten before, I can say with full confidence that is how I feel.

So, needless to say, I am feeling rather pathetic right now.

I did some free weights today. I never do more then 5 minutes worth - I find them so boring - but I need to keep up my middle back strength, as it's hard work carrying around these melons

Oh well...I'll try the jog again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Krista,

Great Hamstering!! You have nothing to feel bad about!

Back when I first started running, I would intersperse my jogging with brisk walks. At first I would run 1 minute and walk 2 for 25 minutes. The next week I'd run 2 minutes and walk two for 25 minutes. The following week I'd run 2 minutes and walk 1 minute for 25 minutes. Then 3:1, then 4:1, and so on until I was jogging or running the full 25 minutes. It's a valid way to get started. And since you plan the walking breaks, you haven't failed at anything.

As far as the weights, I can't help you there. I find them pretty dull, too, though I force myself through 30-45 minutes of it at least 4 times a week. Blech. The results are nice, at least.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thankfully, my body is high in muscle. I'm 5'6 and 155lbs. Technically, I am overweight, but you can't pinch fat on my thighs, arms or hips. Granted, you can on my belly, but I've been working on that. I don't need to do 30+ minutes of weights, as 5 minutes is enough to make small muscles peak out all over. Of course, I guess they would peak out a lot more if I did longer, but blech!

I miss being able to break into a run whenever I want to. But, as I always say, peer pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing LOL

Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
HI Hamsters

I have really done it this time! Since there is a group of us from my gym who are doing a half marathon, we decided to get together on Sunday mornings for a long walk as a way to get together and talk about our runs, training, etc. Well- no one showed up except a friend and me.......she lives on the water and we got this crazy idea.........lets take our her paddle boat!

I have no idea how far we went, but we paddled against the current and were in the boat, steadily paddling for 2 1/2 hours!! Not only am I sunburned, but my legs are sore and my left knee is really swollen. (I actually fractured the patella and tore up the bursa - which continues to swell to this day - a few years ago) But you know what? I have NEVER had so much fun! We laughed so much that my abs and back are sore! We also got to see lots of fish jumping (we paddled up a canal off the Chesapeake Bay), turtles swimming along and beautiful Heron along the grasses at the edge of the water. This was such a tranquil ride - except for the laughter and burning in our legs! HA! I would recommend that at some point - all hamsters should try paddle boating! What a great experience!

Today I have a quick 3-4 mile run and will do an upper body workout in the gym. Whew!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smaurer, the paddle boating sounds like a lot of fun! All except for the sunburn and soreness. I'd love seeing the heron. They are such beautiful birds.

Krista, you're actually off to a great start on the running. When I started running I ran from my drive to my neighbors and then at that point I could no longer breathe. The neat thing about learning to run is you can get out there again and try to go just a little further or a little longer.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I had a great start to my week
Yesterday I walked downtown twice and then I played frisbee with a friend for about 2 and 1/2 hours. She is not a good thrower so I got a great workout chasing the frisbee all around. However I am really sore now. Today I went to the gym and did the bike for about 1/2 hour. Since it is so nice, I think that I am going to go to the nature preserve and walk there for awhile.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm such a sucker for competitive peer pressure LOL

I went out again today. 20 minutes - I pulled off about 3 mintues of jogging this time. My breasts are swollen a little (b/c of the heat) and I feared they would hit me in the face. Still, I did 3 mintues worth!

And, I know that a little jogging will help my asthma. My roommates refuse to respect me and still smoke in the house. They do it when I'm asleep (of course, it wakes me up), or they stand in the doorway and smoke (the wind blows it back in). My asthma hasn't been this bad since high school. Now that I have my new job, my BF and I are hoping to turn his 1/2 his house basement into an apartment for me by the end of the year. (Yes, I'm weird, I don't want to live *with* him).

So, I'll give my boobs another day of rest and try for a 4 mintues job

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi, Hamsters! I hope everyone had a good weekend!

On Friday, I did about 35 laps in the pool after work, which felt quite nice -- a great break from the summer heat! Saturday, I danced a lot when the Eagles came to town for a concert
. I took a break yesterday. And today isn't finished yet! So today's update will have to wait.

Happy Hamstering!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.