VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Whatever I look at, after having looked at the pinwheel for 30 seconds, has the same undulating appearance, whether I held my breath during the time I looked at the pinwheel, or not.

This is of course not a hallucination. I seem to recall there being a name for this class of after-image neurological response -- but I can't remember what it is.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Would you call it "being high without drugs" or "a hallucination," if you spun around for 20 seconds and then suddenly stopped, and watched your surrounding appear to be spinning around, even tho you know they are not, whilst having trouble being able to walk in a straight line? I don't think so.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
It's simple a negative or inverse luminence image. You tire out your retinal receptors, and see the opposite of what they generally convey, when you look at a white wall. To enhance the effect, deprive yourself of carotene and vitamin A for a few years. Also various drugs will enhance the effect.

The inverse motion after-effects -- it is harder to comprehend how are nerves and brain compenste for motion when motion changes or stops, than it is to understand how they compensate for color and light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts