VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my favourite holiday- and i was wondering what people were planning on dressing as or handing out or doing for it.

yay for samhain!

~

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm dressing up as the Day of the Dead (I prefer concept costumes to character costumes) and taking my younger siblings trick-or-treating around the neighborhood. I'm rather too old to ask for candy myself, but I still looooove going around seeing everyone's decorations.

Next year, I will be in England for Halloween. I suspect it will be a rather different experience.

·
Registered
0 Posts
my favorite too. my pirate group is entered into a contest on the 28th ($5000 cash prize!!!) and some friends and I are doing a ritual circle on the beach on the 31st.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

my favorite too. my pirate group is entered into a contest on the 28th ($5000 cash prize!!!) and some friends and I are doing a ritual circle on the beach on the 31st.
That's awesome (both things)!! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The company I work for has a big bash on this day and everyone dresses up. I am trying to get the two groups that I manage to either go as football players or a bunch of ghosts! I love halloween!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Actually I just a had a questioned posed to me the other day about Halloween. A friend, who is vegan, wanted to give out candy this year to the neighborhood kids. She was asking (mostly thinking out loud because I wouldn't really know) about what kind of candy would be vegan. Her and her husband are very strict and do not allow non-vegan foods in their home (unless it is for the animals).

Any good vegan candy for Halloween handouts?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I probably won't celebrate. But if I were going to, I would dress up as New Brunswick Girl and my friend would be Ontario Man. At my friend's job, he had to replace the provincial flags and he got to keep the old ones...so we got really dorky one night and tied them around ourselves like capes. I have pictures but he hasn't sent them to me yet. Ehehhe. Twas fun.

·
Baby Love
5,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

Actually I just a had a questioned posed to me the other day about Halloween. A friend, who is vegan, wanted to give out candy this year to the neighborhood kids. She was asking (mostly thinking out loud because I wouldn't really know) about what kind of candy would be vegan. Her and her husband are very strict and do not allow non-vegan foods in their home (unless it is for the animals).

Any good vegan candy for Halloween handouts?
Last year, I bought a swedish fish variety pack at Target. It had mini packets of three different gummy candies, minus the gelatin. Of course, I didn't have any trick or treaters and ate all the candy myself ... but thats another story

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm planning on going as one of the cowboys from Brokeback Mountain.

Preferably Ennis. Jack Twist was the Joe Mauer of that relationship.

I'm really just using it as an excuse to walk around in pleather chaps and a cowboy hat.

:cowboy:

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I might being going to a wizard of oz party so I've been looking for theme constumes tho i saw a bat girl costume recently that I really like. I think i might be a female tin man. I'm interested in silver face paint...looks like fun!

·
Registered
280 Posts
what about cheap costumes? i know it's cheaper to sort of piece together your own but when trying to save money i find it hard to think of spending for a "costume" (i will, of course : )

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm knitting most of my costume. I'm going to be a stray cat. I'll post pics when it's done.

Every year the band rents a hall and does a charity concert, all of our friends pay 10.00 and have a grand ol time.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
My 14-year-old son is going to be the Invisible Man. He's going to wear a trench coat, hat, sunglasses and gloves and we're going to wrap his face with bandages.

My 10-year-old daughter is going to be a water fairy. She's going to wear a blue dress, blue wings, blue nail polish, blue lipstick and a purple wig (couldn't find blue).

My husband and I are going to be Hogwarts students (from Harry Potter.)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

I'm knitting most of my costume.
Hey, same here. I am going as R2-D2. I was originally going to go as R5-D4 but found I just couldn't get motivated.

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Hey, same here. I am going as R2-D2. I was originally going to go as R5-D4 but found I just couldn't get motivated.
:

Cheers!

TJ
I don't get it
probably because I'm not a Star Wars fan or something

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanY View Post

what about cheap costumes? i know it's cheaper to sort of piece together your own but when trying to save money i find it hard to think of spending for a "costume" (i will, of course : )
Garage sales. Thrift stores. Auctions.

I collect costume pieces all year long. Unless I find an 1880's floor-length skirt to go with the 1880's style shirt I found, I will probably wear my RenFaire costume:

The purple velvet dress I got at a garage sale for $2.

The red velvet cape I got at a garage sale for $2.

The crinoline(s) came from a variety of places and I don't remember how much they cost. All under $20, for sure.

The brown shoes I got at Goodwill for $3.

The Celtic cross necklace I got at a second-hand jewelry store for $8.

The cross pendant I let dangle from the waistline was $1 at Goodwill.

Sure, it's possible to spend a lot of money on "authentic"-looking costumes, but you don't have to if you plan it right.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I don't do anything for Halloween. It's a fun thing and all, but it's just not my "thing". Heck, I haven't even handed out candy since I moved out of my parents' house back in 1986. It's not that I don't want to, but I haven't lived anywhere where kids come ringing my doorbell.

But I do like singing:

It's beginning to look a lot like Halloween

everywhere you go

The Halloween stores are here

with costumes causing fear

among the moms with limited budgets...

It's beginning to look a lot like Halloween

everywhere you go

the parties are being planned

and the kids are being banned

it's the grownups' turn to have a spooky blast!

That's all I can come up with right now, anyway.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts