VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I've had an interest in food politics and organic cooking, I have only been a vegetarian for about 5 months now. I am still transitioning, but I eventually want to be vegan. I decided to join this forum to not only help assist me with advice regarding food choices, but also emotional support.

When I first made this life change I didn't think it would have an effect on my relationships. I consider it a personal choice and I wasn't in the "business" of converting people so to speak. But recently I feel very persecuted by many of the people in my life to eat meat. I am not considering to change my mind, but it just is beginning to disgust me to see people consume flesh. And most of all, not even be INTERESTED in why I find it repulsive.

At first I found it to be a very logical decision to boycott meat of all kinds, but lately, I am feeling very emotional about it. I am interesting in learning more about this lifestyle and hopefully gaining new tools and knowledge to combat the carnivores

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome! You will find lots of support and advice here, and recipes! And checkout the recipes on vegweb.com too, there's lots of recipes there! I know what you mean about the relationships, my husband and I got into a Very heated discussion about my decision. I went veg in November and since then have gone vegan, with an occasional accidental slip from not reading the labels - who would think they would put casein, a milk protein, in a NON-Dairy cheese that says Veggie on the front? Anyway, both my husband and kids make fun of me and I still have to cook them a separate meal with meat, but I usually only have to cook for them twice a week and then he cooks on the grill twice for them so I don't have to worry about it on those days, thank goodness. I get more support from people I work with (a few even asked for websites and book recommendations!).
Best of luck to you!
Stacy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've already grabbed a few recipes from here and they've been great! I went veg back in 2005 and my husband (then boyfriend) did not join me in my decision. Over the years he's been eating less and less meat though. He even gave up chicken a couple years ago. There may be hope yet!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome! You are among friends here which is an empowering feeling. I still get the "meat is good for you" mentality a lot here in TX. Ugh...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts