VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is to exchange info about hair dyeing. I love to colour my hair funky colours like pink and purple, but I'm still experimenting to find the perfect dye.

Anyone with suggestions of brands, what works best, different colours, styles, etc., please share here.

I found a great semi-permanent called Splat, but only found it in one store in LA. Has anyone else heard of this? I live in Canada so I can't get more of it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
never heard of it. i color my hair too but no funky colors.....i'm in search of the perfect red.......... have not found it in 20 years

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tofu, I actually called that place, and they only ship orders to licensed salons, not to individuals. boo

It would probably be quite expensive for a salon here to order it, so I'm looking for stuff I can get in Canada.

Splat is good because I have shoulder length hair and it only took half a bottle to do it all. So I can still do my hair pink again with what I have left.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
my hair is purple right now...but the thing is i have dreadlocks..also commonly known as a water sponge.

i am still washing dye out.. blah.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
When I dyed my hair funky colors I used Raw and it lasted the best of any that I use. I think they sell it at Hot Topic or hottopic.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm not allowed too...

or else I won't be allowed into classes (This is for un-natural colours)

But I dye my hair heaps...

And In the summer holidays I wanted to dye my hair blue...

But I'm not sure if I really want to bleach it... as I've heard that can make your hair go frizzy and damaged (And I already have frizzy hair)

(also that was the time of my aunties wedding.. and as I was the only bridesmaid I wasn't allowed)

Danny

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I was going to dye my hair blue. I really was, but no one carries temporary dye that I wouldn't have to bleach my hair for. And I'm happy with the tons of different colors on that mop of mine now, anyways. I prefer going funkier with my clothing, anyways.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've had mine purple, pink, blue, blonde, brown, black and red. Red is my favourite but there is no perfect red because it doesn't attach properly to your hair like other colours do, so even if it's perfect the day that you colour it, the first wash will change it considerably as it runs out.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I usually keep mine a fairly natural red color, but I've done lots of colors including magenta, blue, purple, cranberry red, and yellow/orange. And of course the full range from blonde to black.

I usually use Manic Panic. For my red I use regular old store-bought dye and use Jason color enhancing shampoo to keep it from going brassy.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Since I'm a blonde I can't temporarily dye my hair

i dyed my hair red once and it lasted 2 mths and it was only a four wash one.

Last year my hair was chocolate brown, cuz I got sick of ppl judging me on what I look like and thought the hair dye might get rid of it
The only thing is, I've stopped dying my hair now, but my blonde is now way darker than it was before

·
Registered
0 Posts
i tried dying my hair dark brown a couple of years ago but it didnt look much different at all. i've never bothered since......though i've always wanted purple hair

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i've wanted to do pink or purple streaks but my 12 y/o daughter had a coniption fit (followed by my husband). it was almost as bad a hissy as when i pierced my navel.

i understand about red dye....it looks GREAT that day and then just turns to crap. I've found that if you wait a day or two to wash it AFTER you color it stays a little longer. Going a shade or two brighter sometimes helps too. but i'm still on my quest for the perfect red.....

·
Registered
765 Posts
A few years ago I used Belle Color in light auburn, but Garnier discontinued selling that line in the US. The red was perfect though! It only faded a little and looked incredibly natural - even my hairdresser thought it was real!

They do sell Nutrisse now though and they have a light auburn color. Since it's the same company, maybe the red would last? Red is the most fading hair dye. I think (from experience with myself and friends) it works the best on brown hair. Don't bother if it's blond - it won't last.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i tried belle color and it was pretty good. when i was in NJ i had a PREFECT (almost) red and now in FL can't get it the same. i just tried loreal color expert in a light auburn and it was OK. i'll have to try nutrisse maybe. you would think it would last longer on blond hair since its so light.... thank god i'm brunette i guess

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe if your hair is shorter you could just let it grow out for a while and try it again? Sometimes coloring it makes it hard for new colors/brands to stick.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey fellow hair-colorers!

I am a hair product addict!

my natural hair color is black. I have my hairdresser bleach streaks through my hair. she also uses a only-available-in-salons dye that has bright colors like manic panic but doesn't fade as fast. I have her do that and then I touch up with manic panic,and change the color as I please.

I've used manic panic for years, and to get the color I really want I always have to mix colors.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
lucycat: my hair is fairly short but i'm tryingto grow it out....i just did it 2 weeks ago so we'll see how it goes. i MAY have to go have it done professionally.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts