VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ladies,

Tommorrow is my first ever gynecology exam! (im 18) im so pumped! Im nervous of course, but so glad to be taking control/care of everything, im going to get on birth control and ask general questions, and im so excited, i will be so much more at ease about everything. any way... any words of wisdom?

love,

emily

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It's great that you have such a positive attitude about it! It doesn't sound like you need many words of wisdom...

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Just try to get into a conversation with the clinician and it will distract you. It's really fast. It will also go even faster if when they tell you to relax, you really try to relax, that is, by thinking of something that will help you to relax, clearing your mind, whatever. All this goes by very quickly. It's not nearly as bad as what people imagine before they've gone. In fact, I don't mind going at all. It's much less annoying than a dental cleaning because it takes only a couple minutes at most for the pelvic part. And you do have a gown and a sheet over your thighs, so it's not like you feel as if you are just out in the open and naked or anything.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Words of wisdom (even though I don't think you need them.
):

relax, breathe, and don't forget to ask whatever questions you may have. That's all!

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Be sure to ask any questions you might have, no matter how "embarassing". That's their job!

Be sure to ask about the different types of birth control, and understand that not every drug might be right for you. Ask about any side effects you might experience, and ask about backup methods (I'm a huge believer in using two forms of BC when you really don't want to get pregnant.)

If you have any questions about birth control, there is a thread already open, or you can ask us here too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybarrington View Post

hey ladies,

Tommorrow is my first ever gynecology exam! (im 18) im so pumped! Im nervous of course, but so glad to be taking control/care of everything, im going to get on birth control and ask general questions, and im so excited, i will be so much more at ease about everything. any way... any words of wisdom?

love,

emily
An assistant should be present in the room with you and the doctor ALWAYS. No exception. If there isn't one before your exam request one. It's your right. Other than that, try and relax and know that it's for preventative measures.

·
Registered
441 Posts
words of wisdom:

if she comes over to you to put acid on your vaginal lips, it will hurt. even if she says it won't.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hm. The only acid I've ever had used is acetic acid (aka vinegar), which is used as a disinfectant sometimes.

I agree with those who say the dentist is worse. I'd choose the gyno any day over a dental cleaning (ow ow ow).

It may be a bit weird or uncomfortable, especially at first, but the only pain most annual exams involve is the smear for the Pap screen. It lasts about 5 seconds. I wish I could make that deal with my dentist.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I would rather see the gyno twice a year then the dentist. The exam is quick, I just focus on the ceiling and think about anything but what is going on. Good for you for being so gung ho about the situation!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
that's great! i feel the same way when i go to doctors. I know why i'm going, i feel good about why i'm going, and i'm interested to learn what they have to tell me.

i found all of my pelvic exams to be super simple. no pain, nothing--not even during a pap smear. i hardly felt it at all. so, hopefully you'll have a good practitioner like i do/did.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey you all, i just got back from the doctor and it went great. thanks for all your advice... it was so quick and just hurt a very tiny bit for just a second. i got a prescription for YAZ bc so now im going to look at the birth control thread!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Cool beans. I forgot about the write down the questions suggestion. I did that the last time I went to the doc...I didn't want to forget anything!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts