VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
So it comes as no surprise to me to see that a recent study "confirms" that single guys' apartments are dirtier than bachelorettes'.

What is a little shocking, though, is just how much scuzzier: On average, a single guy's apartment harbors 15 times the amount of bacteria than do the homes of bachelorettes.

Whatever, you say, bacteria schmacteria. Well, consider this: Seven of every 10 coffee tables researchers checked in guys' apartments were covered in coliforms, a type of bacteria that lives in the feces of warm-blooded animals.

"They have poop on the coffee table," study leader Charles Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, told MSNBC.com. "I would suspect the guys probably put their feet up on the coffee table. About 90 percent of shoes have fecal bacteria on the bottom after you wear them for three months. My wife never puts her feet on the table. I do, and I keep getting told to take them off."

Quote:
To be fair, coliforms were discovered on the same surfaces in some of the bachelorettes' homes. The bugs just werent quite as common or plentiful at the ladies digs. Except for one spot: 33 percent of the womens front doorknobs harbored colonies of coliforms.
http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/...-dirtier-1351/

See also:

Dirty truth: Bachelor pads have 15 times more germs

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41514712...h-mens_health/

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Hmmmm.

*goes off to clean the front door knob*
Ha ha!

My friend G gives luncheons at her house every two weeks. I am going to bring along some disinfectant wipes to the next one and wipe her front door knob, bathroom door knob, etc.

P.S. Believe it or not, I don't have a front door knob and almost always enter and exit through my (automatic) garage door.

·
Registered
499 Posts
60 is a very poor sample size...

But yeah, haha, my apartment isn't very clean most of the time. I kind of doubt there's poo on the coffee table though, we take our shoes off.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

P.S. Believe it or not, I don't have a front door knob and almost always enter and exit through my (automatic) garage door.
Believe it or not, I don't have a knob either.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

And then a guy who has a 'leave shoes in the hall" policy will seem too unmanly to most Women.
Believe it or not, most intelligent women don't give a sh*t about your masculinity.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I could probably rival those bachelors...not about the poop thing, though. That's just disgusting. I don't know about how scientific this study is. Most women I know aren't any tidier than the men I know, single or not.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

who the hell doesn't take their shoes off inside? I'm not a tidy guy, but I at least have enough sense to be sanitary.
Um, a lot of people. Sorry that I lack the sense to take my shoes off when entering my home.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I'd get hurt if I didn't at least wear thongs around the house (which I pretty much do 95% of the time) (slippers during the dead of winter) (by thongs I mean the feet things, not butt-crack string things).

There are currently some serious wood splinters all over the floor of my workshop from salvaged plywood I'm trying to put to use.

I had a short term girlfriend who wasn't very clean and claimed "bacteria is healthy ! ". Like I said *short term* girlfriend.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I don't take my shoes off inside for sanitary reasons. I do it because I'm more comfortable barefoot, at least on my carpeted floor, which is most of the apartment.

But I will admit that I don't clean as often or thoroughly as I probably should, so I probably fit the single guy stereotype in that regard. But I know my coffee table doesn't have any poo on it - I don't have a coffee table, just a foot stool. If I'm going to have a piece of furniture to put my feet up, that's going to be it's one and only purpose.

--Fromper

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Unless I'm in my pajamas and slippers I never take my shoes off in the house. I feel more comfortable with them on. I don't like being barefoot and I don't wear sandals of any kind. I hate having to take my shoes off when visiting someone else's home. I hate it even more if there are noticable holes in my socks

ETA: What about people with pets? I'm sure their paws are far from poop free.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts