VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've screwed with the wires and got my computer plugged into my guitar amp. The thing actually plays music flawlessly and pumps out a good bit of sound. Anyone know if this can damage the amp? Is it built specifically for guitars, or is it like any regular home theater speaker?

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
It can probably take it, considering all the hot-rodded pickups and effects pedals a guitar amp can take. Now the other way around can be a problem, that is, running a guitar into a regular stereo, at least with the speakers. Typical stereo tweeters don't like a direct guitar signal. I once did some damage running my Fender lead II through a korg distortion box into my bro-in-laws stereo.

What guitar amp is it anyway ? I've done crazy stuff with guitar amps from little 5 watt solid state jobs, up to 100 watt tube amps, using wrong speakers, etc. Never did fry one.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

It can probably take it, considering all the hot-rodded pickups and effects pedals a guitar amp can take. Now the other way around can be a problem, that is, running a guitar into a regular stereo, at least with the speakers. Typical stereo tweeters don't like a direct guitar signal. I once did some damage running my Fender lead II through a korg distortion box into my bro-in-laws stereo.

What guitar amp is it anyway ? I've done crazy stuff with guitar amps from little 5 watt solid state jobs, up to 100 watt tube amps, using wrong speakers, etc. Never did fry one.
Just a crappy no name brand. Think it's got a 10" speaker. But I spent over $1000 on my home stereo, now I'm thinking I should have just picked up the receiver and hooked it up to a bunch of Marshall amps
A bass amp would be the equivalent to a subwoofer, right? Maybe split the signal to a $500 amp for the treble and a $2 or $300 bass amp for the bass

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I had a 2 channel rack-mount tube Marshall, it was huge and HEAVY. Bought used for $350 and sold within 5 years for $400, cause it was way too heavy to haul around. But I told an amp repair guy later about it, and he said those amps were great for using as a stereo tube power amp for running a receiver/record/tape/CD player through, I guess cause that amp didn't really have much of a pre-amp section, so it kept whatever input sounding pretty clean. I had to run a pretty aggressive pre-amp into it for hard rock.

I thought maybe you had an old Traynor amp, since you're in Canada.

My junk amp is a Kay brand with a 6" speaker.I think it's made in China. Although it looks a lot less crappy than the tube amp I built out of scrap parts (that one sounds great).

I also want to build one of those little cigarette box amps that takes just a few bucks worth of parts, although my goal was to not pay anything at all for the parts, by finding them in junk equipment, which I'm pretty sure I did already, but I've been too lazy to drill component holes on a piece of circuit board. I don't think one of those would work too well for what you're doing, as they are pretty much a slightly glorified mini overdrive box.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Naaa, I didn't spend much on the amp and never upgraded
I'd definitely look into amps as speakers if I look at getting my own place, though
Might look at something other than Marshalls since they seem to hold their value pretty well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.