VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked a little box of mint from the drug store and it says "contains guarana". Sheesh this tiny mint thing makes me Hyper
, I mean like I am on drug or something?? Have anyone had anything guarana?

·
Registered
701 Posts
As far as I know, it's a natural herb and a stimulant. It's sort of like a natural caffeine. I haven't heard of any adverse events associated with its use, but if it's not agreeing with you, I would stop eating the mints.

I'm wondering why they would put it in mints to begin with... It's usually found in energy drinks/supplements or weight loss products. Are the mints just plain old "breath-freshening mints" or are they intended to increase energy?

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
There was a brand of mints I used to buy in college. I want to say the brand was called zingers, or something similar. They were caffeinated, and I used to eat them on nights when I had projects to work on and couldn't be bothered to drive to the store and get coffee.

I'm sure this is meant to be an all natural variation.

I liked them. Use them to your advantage.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
gaurana, just like coffee, contains caffein. I just read an article about this in one of my health mags, after drinking an 'energy' drink that contained it (I didn't realize it was caffein, and I don't generally touch the stuff anymore).

Remember just because it's herbal, doesn't mean it's good for you.

B

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
On the other hand, it might not be harmful. Often candies and soft drinks that contain herbal supplements contain them in strictly marketing-dosages, i.e. they contain enough so that marketers can tout them, but not enough to have the effects normally associated with the supplement. It would cost the manufacturers too much money to put a significant amount in.

If you're worried about it, I wouldn't buy it again, but there's probably no harm in eating the ones you have.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Guarana is a stimulative. I use to sell it at the nfs. If you have problems with high blood pressure, diabetes or your heart, you shouldn't take it. It is sold most frequently for energy purposes and is also found in several weight loss products to boost the metabolism. Several customers complained of feeling jittery while on it while others hardly felt any effect.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The stuff didn't make me nervous like caffine----- it made me bending backward, dancing on the table, making silly jokes, and crashed
I mean who knows some random mint you picked at the checkout while waiting in line
will send you into a bi-polar state?? sheesh...well, maybe other ppl can tolerate but not me, this herb freaked me out.

BTW, that was from two tiny tiny mints

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have seen mints sold with caffeine in them but hadn't seen this variety - they definitely use that in stimulants. I am imagining there should have been some type of warning on the packaging. Imagine if someone gave some to a child and then couldn't figure out why they are bouncing off the walls.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts