VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Facebook friends posted this:

Quote:
Change your profile picture to a photo of your pet or any animal that you like. The idea is to remove all human faces from Facebook until February 28th to show your support against animal cruelty. If you are against the abuse of animals, copy and paste this and make it your status
Okay - now obviously I have nothing against the idea of drawing attention to the issue of animal cruelty/animal rights. At the same time though, it bothers me to see people who eat meat posting something like this. The hypocrisy and stupidity bothers me.

In response I posted on my FB page:

Quote:
I think it is sad that most of the people who are changing their profile pictures to a photo of an animal to protest animal cruelty eat meat. By doing so they support factory farming and the inhumane treatment and slaughter of billions of animals each year. Animals who do not enjoy any protection under the law. I challenge all of my professed animal loving friends - if you want to make a real difference in February, go vegan for 28 days!!!!
I knew it would bother some of the people on my FB list, but the response from one my daughter's friends really ticked me off. She posted the following:

Quote:
you know there is a big difference between eating animals and animal cruelty. i will agree that there are some places that do treat their animals wrong before they kill them and eat them. But most places do kill their cows and pigs very quickly. And their are laws out their to protect animals. A lot actually. Don't go peta on us please.
Ignorant little twit. This girl actually tried to go vegetarian once and then it was all about health and the animals. Now? Apparently now she's of the belief that animals are humanely raised and slaughtered.

Ugh!

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Would love to see her reaction to the Farm to Fridge and Meet Your Meet videos. I'm wondering if she tells herself that most factory farmed animals are killed 'humanely' and treated well now that she eats meat to make it seem okay in her own mind. Also, I don't believe animal cruelty laws are applied to factory farmed animals. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. It sucks dealing with comments like that.

I'm a smart-ass at times so if I couldn't simply delete the comment, I'd probably respond with,'Whatever makes you feel better when you shove that burger in your mouth,' but her being your daughter's friend, I don't know what the proper etiquette would be, assuming she's a teenager. I'm wondering if politely directing her to certain videos or articles about cruelty and/or laws would help. She might still remain in denial though.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I admit that I got a little snarky. I responded by saying:

Quote:
You need to do some studying on factory farming and animal cruelty laws because quite frankly, you are wrong. And as it is my Facebook page I will post what I like. You need not read it if it makes you think too much.
Probably not the most productive approach - but it just struck me the wrong way this morning (before my morning coffee I might add).

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I cant say I woyld have reacted differently, and i posted something similar when omnis were all outraged about the potential horse slaughtering.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used my blog (which I share on FB) to issue a challenge of sorts to my intentionally ignorant FB friends to become better educated about factory farming and where our food comes from. Think anyone will take me up on it?

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post

I used my blog (which I share on FB) to issue a challenge of sorts to my intentionally ignorant FB friends to become better educated about factory farming and where our food comes from. Think anyone will take me up on it?
It would be nice. I find that whenever I bring up the cruelty involved in factory farming, I mostly get the but-we-were-meant-to-eat-animals response, or the I-don't-have-a-problem-raising-animals-for-food one. It gets very frustrating that people don't see the connection.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PTree15,

I get the same type of comments. Makes me want to pull all of my hair out (not that I have much as I wear it really short). I doubt anyone will actually even look at the links I posted, but it would be cool if just one did. I might save me a round of "Why don't you eat meat?" questioning. LOL

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:

PTree15,

I get the same type of comments. Makes me want to pull all of my hair out (not that I have much as I wear it really short). I doubt anyone will actually even look at the links I posted, but it would be cool if just one did. I might save me a round of "Why don't you eat meat?" questioning. LOL
Indeed. Heck, it took me awhile to catch on to vegetarianism, so if one person starts thinking about it, it's worth posting.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:

Okay - now obviously I have nothing against the idea of drawing attention to the issue of animal cruelty/animal rights. At the same time though, it bothers me to see people who eat meat posting something like this. The hypocrisy and stupidity bothers me.
I feel the exact same way. BUT at the same time I am glad they feel that way. It means there are a lot of potential vegans out there. And it means a debate should be winnable against almost any omnivore based on their own moral principles (except for the twisted few who believe that animal abuse is never wrong under any circumstances).

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I saw this same post on FB. I decided to re-post it on my page but I added "ALL" as in "show your support against ALL animal cruelty. If you are against the abuse of ALL animals, copy and paste this and make it your status".

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
That was disrespectful that girl said to you about going peta on them, what does trying to go veg for 28 days for Feb have to do with PETA? There are many Vegan and Go Veg campaigns that says the same thing.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
a lot of people seem to assume that if you're vegetarian or vegan then you MUST associate with PETA somehow. I haven't quite figured it out yet, and I've repeatedly asked the people who get defensive and mention it why exactly they think I'm a supporter.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

a lot of people seem to assume that if you're vegetarian or vegan then you MUST associate with PETA somehow. I haven't quite figured it out yet, and I've repeatedly asked the people who get defensive and mention it why exactly they think I'm a supporter.
Veg*ans tend to be animal lovers, and animal rights activists, vocal or not. PETA is an vocal animals rights support group. Ergo, Vegetarian/vegan=eats no meat/animal products (depending on how strict you are)=PETA supporter.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It says a lot about her lack of creativity that the most insulting thing she could find was an exhortation to not "go peta."

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Veg*ans tend to be animal lovers, and animal rights activists, vocal or not. PETA is an vocal animals rights support group. Ergo, Vegetarian/vegan=eats no meat/animal products (depending on how strict you are)=PETA supporter.
true, but you know what they say about assuming. and you can be an animal lover and still disagree with them, it's not like if you don't eat animals you're automatically a hardcore PETA fan. THAT's what I don't get. there's doesn't seem to be any middle ground in people's minds, you know?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Um, no.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Quote:

It says a lot about her lack of creativity that the most insulting thing she could find was an exhortation to not "go peta."
Agreed, not a PETA fan here and it irritates me when people assume I support them or that I'm militant in some way. Sure, I like that PETA gets the word out but it's sometimes done in the wrong ways. They can also be pretty hypocritical, for example, how they kill more 'rescued' dogs/cats than they save and how their accidentally vegan list isn't entirely accurate. I prefer Vegan Outreach, Mercy For Animals, PCRM...although, a couple of PCRM's recent fat-shaming anti-dairy ads have me a bit worried.

Another FB story: My godmother who I just got back in touch with posted a picture of her holding 2-year-old me. A friend of hers complimented her sweater and she said she better not say what it was made of (looked like angora or cashmere) assuming I would get angry about it. She totally meant well but I hope she's not walking on eggshells around me because she thinks I might turn into an angry vegan. That so isn't who I am.

When my brother first heard I went vegan, he gave me a glare because he assumed all vegans were pushy, angry or violent. I certainly proved him wrong and he's cool with my veganism now.

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Quote:

One of my Facebook friends posted this:

In response I posted on my FB page:

I knew it would bother some of the people on my FB list, but the response from one my daughter's friends really ticked me off. She posted the following:

Ignorant little twit. This girl actually tried to go vegetarian once and then it was all about health and the animals. Now? Apparently now she's of the belief that animals are humanely raised and slaughtered.

Ugh!
I would link her to videos and all the websites that would undoubtedly prove her wrong, saying that, oh really, seems like tons of peeps other than Peta...also disagree. Herp Derp. Sorry that happened. That ticks me off with some people.

People were so upset when humane society euthanized a cat. The comments were raging with outcries, and I put something along the lines similar of what you did, while still acknowledging that I felt sympathy for the pet owner...and I got all thumbs down on my comments and got told to get a life. Hmmm...it seems like they know but can't handle it :/

Instead of necessarily attacking her, maybe you should make them go ape sh*t to defend themselves. Saying like "would you please provide me of an example of such laws that you speak that apply to "ALL" the animals in slaughter houses?" To put her at ease say "sure, there are some places that treat their animals well, but could you give me proof that the major corporations like Tyson (or any other organization), considering that most americans get their meat from major corporations, that those animals are treated well? Since they are about profit, wouldn't they have to sacrifice animal welfare so that they can keep up with demand and maximize profit? Yes...yes they would." LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts