VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am I wrong for being annoyed that there are so many vegetarian cookbooks out there full of recipes that include eggs and "brie with currant jelly and pecans" with reviews that say "plentiful seitan and tofu recipes will satisfy vegans."

why would I want that cookbook so I could search and search for the vegan recipes amongst the brie ones? EUW!

sorry, I never considered myself a militant vegan but this **** is starting to get on my nerves. amazon writes me with "if you liked GARDEN OF VEGAN, you'll like this book with eggs in it..."

HOW IT ALL VEGAN and GARDEN OF VEGAN will kick these books' in the bum any day. Why waste time with those "other" cookbooks?

XOXO

Beth

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I feel you. I have a lot of cookbooks where I can only make about 10 of the fifty recipes...but thats ok. They go to good use.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed how bad Vegetarian Times magazine has gone down the tubes lately?

Most of their recipes have egg in them! I am not a die-hard vegan, but as a long time vegetarian who has been drifting that way for years (and finally recently gave up cheese) I am just flabbergasted by all the egg recipes. I can see having a few dairy optional recipes but when they start calling for eggs I just close the book.

And besides the recipes, the mag sucks also. It's like they don't even have any vegetarians working there anymore. All the articles are about generic health issues or food and don't even discuss vegetarianism.

I really miss VT's heyday, which was most of the 90's. Thankfully I still have all my back-issues I go back and read again & again.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I've seen a vegetarian cookbook called "Almost Vegetarian". It has meals with reduced amounts of flesh. I bet it doesn't have reduction of Fish flesh though. It also says something about you can add more meat. I guess it's targetting people who like to be trendy and suffer from delusions.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

I've seen a vegetarian cookbook called "Almost Vegetarian". It has meals with reduced amounts of flesh. I bet it doesn't have reduction of Fish flesh though. It also says something about you can add more meat. I guess it's targetting people who like to be trendy and suffer from delusions.
Is that like being almost Jewish?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jadzia

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed how bad Vegetarian Times magazine has gone down the tubes lately?

Most of their recipes have egg in them! I am not a die-hard vegan, but as a long time vegetarian who has been drifting that way for years (and finally recently gave up cheese) I am just flabbergasted by all the egg recipes. I can see having a few dairy optional recipes but when they start calling for eggs I just close the book.

And besides the recipes, the mag sucks also. It's like they don't even have any vegetarians working there anymore. All the articles are about generic health issues or food and don't even discuss vegetarianism.

I really miss VT's heyday, which was most of the 90's. Thankfully I still have all my back-issues I go back and read again & again.
The most recent issue had a new section called Vegan Gourmet. Overall the magazine was much more vegan-friendly than the two or three issues I sampled around the turn of the year.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
There is a cookbook available called Vegan Planet with hundreds of vegan recipes. Seriously, it is like 600 pages. I have read good reviews.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I keep telling you!! Vegan Planet rocks!!
(check out the scones recipe in the recipe board)

VT sucked for a while, and since the beginning of the year, I think they've improved. They have a Vegan Gourmet section every issue, and they even had a Vegan Thanksgiving meal last year - and a vegan new year's this year... they're getting better. I think they have too many articles on yoga, though (enough with the yoga!!)

amy

notintoyoga

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a vegetarian cookbook in which, EVERY recipe calls for dairy or eggs.
That really bugs me. =p The recipes are basically replacing the meat with TONS of fat-laden cheese! What's the point?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
some lady just bought me 'vegan planet'. it is really good.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I agree that VT had been getting pretty bad, but is slowly improving. I was one of those angry letter writers, telling VT that I was cancelling my subscription I have had for ten years because they don't seem to care about the vegans anymore. The response was basically that we are not their target audience anymore, but those in it for health issues are. Luckily, there's still Veggie Life, who consistantly puts out lots of vegan recipes along side of the cheesy/eggy recipes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by grain_girl

I have a vegetarian cookbook in which, EVERY recipe calls for dairy or eggs.
That really bugs me. =p The recipes are basically replacing the meat with TONS of fat-laden cheese! What's the point?
My mother bought me the vegetarian Weight Watchers cookbook (probably in an attempt to get me to count silly points or something). It seemed like all the meat was replaced with egg whites and/or fat-free or lowfat cheese! Nearly everything had large amounts of cheese...not just a garnish, but a lot of it.

I don't see the point, either.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have been disappointed with VT magazine too. It's funny to think that they are trying to reach people who are into vegetarianism for the health aspects when most of the recipes are very high in fat and cholesterol with all the cheese and eggs! YUCK!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I find it annoying how a lot of vegetarian cookbooks focus on cheese. You'd think that cheese was the only vegetarian food on earth. I am actually ovo-lacto, but there is one major problem I have with cheese - I bloody hate it. And pretty much every vegetarian recipe I find requires cheese. I am one of those peeople who would rather have my eyes gouged out whilst being forced to listen to Linkin Park rather than eat a lot of cheese.

And another problem with cheese is the rennet issue. Why do so many vegetarian recipes rely so heavily on cheese when half the bloody cheese out there isn't even vegetarian?

It's annoying that dairy and eggs are the focus of many vegetarian recipes. I'm not going to bothe rgetting a vegetarian cookbook. I'll just save the hassle and get a vegan cookbook. Whether I stay vegetarian or go vegan, I'll still be able to eat everything in there, and I'm guaranteed not to have any cheese recipes.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I haven't really seen any vegan cookbooks in my bookstores.

I have a couple nice illustrated vegetarian ones but yeah , the use of eggs, cheese and milk in so many things is annoying.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You forget that there are people buying these recipe books and enjoy them. I love a good cheese and egg recipe book myself.

If you don't like the recipe books out there, then make your own.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In response to Krista,

Of course some people are buying them and liking them. What is irritating is the statement "tofu and seitan recipes will satisfy vegans."

on the whole, these books look at veganism as an afterthought. As such, I'm simply stating that I am in fact NOT satisfied by a few measly recipes in an entire book of cheese entrees.

would lacto-ovo vegetarians be "satisfied" with a Meat lovers cookbook that claimed "non-meat vegetable side dishes will satisfy vegetarians"? Thats essentially the issue.

And for dk_art, if you are looking for a vegan cookbook, I highly recommend HOW IT ALL VEGAN and THE GARDEN OF VEGAN. the titles are obnoxious, but the books are INCREDIBLE. Tasty food, easy to prepare, and it accounts for what you have in your fridge at the moment (i.e. "anything goes vegetables" in which they give you plenty of different options that will work).

XOXOXOXO

Beth

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by missleigh

The response was basically that we are not their target audience anymore, but those in it for health issues are.
Sooooo.... let me see if I've got this right: I'm in it for health issues and that means that I have to endure massive migraines from the cheese or get my cholestrol raised from the eggs just because "those who are in it for their health" eats this @#$%? What exactly is so @#$%*** healthy about cheese and eggs?

What'd you say that other magazine was... Veggie Life? I think I'll start looking for that one at my local newsstand.

And krista, great idea but I'm well ahead of you. I'm making my own recipe book and have been since I went veg. It's not done yet, but it's a great work in process. All the EGG FREE AND DAIRY FREE recipes that I like (I'm shouting that for VT's benefit, not for anyone here
) are getting printed out and put into sheet protectors and then they get placed in a binder. I have my tofu ranch dressing in there as well as a couple of falafel recipes, 2 or 3 versions of hummus, vegan mayo... and they all come from real plants, not from cheese/eggs/fish trees (which we know only exist on the VTearth)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Perhaps I don't feel singled out when my needs aren't met by a cook book.

At my local Chapters, there is a section of vegan cookbooks. On a whole, I think they all suck, but if I were a vegan, perhaps I'd enjoy them. /shrug

There are many cookbooks that say vegetarians would be happy with non-meat side dishes. What's wrong with that? What's wrong with giving vegans tofu dishes?

Obviously, I'm missing the entire point of the argument.

As for the almost-vegetarian cookbook, it is for people who are cutting down meat in their diets.

Eggs and cheese can also be a part of a healthy diet, DeeYahMK. In fact, pretty much any food can be part of a healthy diet. Heck, I'm sure a placentia can be included in that

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.